Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Her name was Dawnleaf...well, that was the name I gave her. Her actual name sound terrible when my clumsy human tongue tried to pronounce it. We met in a wooded glade just outside her clan's stronghold in the Deepwood Forest. She feared her elders might find out about our clandestine meeting, our hidden arrangement...our forbidden passion...yet here we were, clumsily undressing each other with our eyes as we hastily undressed in reality. Soon, we were naked, staring at each other...two souls of different races...different species...

...I rolled initiative...

:)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Nothing worse than a loose elf.

Is that code for a turtle head?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @demonbear I get that. But
    Torchsong said:

Her name was Dawnleaf...well, that was the name I gave her. Her actual name sound terrible when my clumsy human tongue tried to pronounce it. We met in a wooded glade just outside her clan's stronghold in the Deepwood Forest. She feared her elders might find out about our clandestine meeting, our hidden arrangement...our forbidden passion...yet here we were, clumsily undressing each other with our eyes as we hastily undressed in reality. Soon, we were naked, staring at each other...two souls of different races...different species...

... your honor.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Torchsong said:

yep.. this is why we keep TS around... and why CGS doesn't have classy sponsers.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    best episode yet, really wasn't sure for a few minutes how that was going to play out
  • Options
    Krescan said:

best episode yet, really wasn't sure for a few minutes how that was going to play out

I agree. Though the end was a little much. But on the whole I liked that this episode actually had a bit characterization for Coulson and the science twins.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    good episode. some good performances too. I loved all the little bits about Coulsons "condition" and especially all the apparent LMD jabs.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Much better. Two in a row showing marked signs of improvement.

We do seem to have forgotten we have a flying car, however.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Yeah... but who had the keys?
  • Options
    I thought Fitz would go for the flying car but he seemed ready to jump which added to his character for me.

He also had my favorite joke this week.

Skye: What are you looking for?

Fitz: Scented candles
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I wonder if Coulson knows his superior is a smoke monster?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

Yeah I'm with you. Slowly getting better.
  • Options
    I thought it was just bad as ever, still cheesy, still not enough marvel stuff, still needs half a new cast.

I just got around to watching Arrow. THAT is what this show should be, just non stop references to marvel and interesting stories that go places. They both suffer from the same "cast of models" casting issues, but for Arrow it seems to work.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This episode was nice as it moved away from the bad guy of the week formula. Although we didn't know that until the fire station..I thought it was a nice twist. The humor was there and I actually felt anxious waiting for them to find a cure.

I really believe each episode has been better than the last. A good sign IMHO.
  • Options

I thought it was just bad as ever, still cheesy, still not enough marvel stuff, still needs half a new cast.

I just got around to watching Arrow. THAT is what this show should be, just non stop references to marvel and interesting stories that go places. They both suffer from the same "cast of models" casting issues, but for Arrow it seems to work.

They say S.H.I.E.L.D probably 10 plus times a show. S.H.I.E.L.D. might not be your favorite part of marvel but they are a part of marvel.

Did you get upset that Andrew Garfield didn't bring up Dr. Doom or Squirrel Girl in Amazing Spider-man?

And I disagree about the "cast of models" I like arrow but it was 3 quarters of the way through the first season before I could tell the characters apart. Shield might be all good looking people but they're not the same good looking people.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Krescan said:

Did you get upset that Andrew Garfield didn't bring up Dr. Doom or Squirrel Girl in Amazing Spider-man?

Yes, but not as much as him not talking about Ms. Lyons!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Krescan said:

M
    Wait! Did you just reference the DOG from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends?! HA! ^:)^
  • Options
    Krescan said:

They say S.H.I.E.L.D probably 10 plus times a show. S.H.I.E.L.D. might not be your favorite part of marvel but they are a part of marvel.

And I disagree about the "cast of models" I like arrow but it was 3 quarters of the way through the first season before I could tell the characters apart. Shield might be all good looking people but they're not the same good looking people.

No The Amazing Spiderman was a Spiderman story filled with Spiderman charachters and general spider manner.

MAOS is a generic spy show that happens to be called Shield but never references or deals with anything related to comics.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

Krescan said:

M
    Wait! Did you just reference the DOG from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends?! HA! ^:)^
    That's probably within my top 3 cartoons of the 80s!

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited November 2013

MAOS is a generic spy show that happens to be called Shield but never references or deals with anything related to comics.

Episode 1: Extremis, Super Soldier Program, Avengers Movie, classic SHIELD Flying car.

Episode 2: Hydra tech.

Episode 3: Graviton Origin.

Episode 4: More Extremis Fallout.

Episode 5: Avengers Movie Fallout.

• Options
    WetRats said:

Episode 1: Extremis, Super Soldier Program, Avengers Movie, classic SHIELD Flying car.

You are mentioning random throw away mentions. I am saying the story should be steeped in it. The writing isnt strong enough to tell stories on their own so the least they could do is tell marvel stories.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

No The Amazing Spiderman was a Spiderman story filled with Spiderman charachters and general spider manner.

Chitauri last episode, Extremis, Gamma radiation, Stark Tech, Graviton, HYDRA, and a flying car all of these things have been mentioned in 6 episodes. Along with Nick Fury and Maria Hill cameos (IMO the Nick Fury cameo was needless but whatever)

And that's not to mention what organization the Centipede people are going to be, which character J. August Richards will turn out to be later on. All the movie tie-ins that have been mentioned.

And keep in mind if it hasn't happened between Iron Man and last Tuesday it hasn't really happened in this marvel universe (not even sure Spider-man and the X-men really exist here either) so all of the marvel references that will be mentioned will be because they're being discovered.
  • Options
    This week's episode, "F.Z.Z.T.", is probably my favorite of the show thus far. Lots of good characterization and suspense. I feel like, for the first time, I actually gave a crap about a character other than Coulson. Also, it didn't feel quite as bland and "monster-of-the-week" (because, well... it was a virus) as it has for the past couple of eps. Still excited for more.
  • Options

WetRats said:

You are mentioning random throw away mentions. I am saying the story should be steeped in it. The writing isnt strong enough to tell stories on their own so the least they could do is tell marvel stories.
    So you're wanting them to take an issue of Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos and turn that into an episode?

Sorry I'm probably getting snippy again (I think this thread makes my blood pressure go up) but you want more marvel but the things that are Marvel aren't good enough. I'm just not sure what you want them to do.

• Options
    Krescan said:

WetRats said:

So you're wanting them to take an issue of Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos and turn that into an episode?

Sorry I'm probably getting snippy again (I think this thread makes my blood pressure go up) but you want more marvel but the things that are Marvel aren't good enough. I'm just not sure what you want them to do.

I THINK (and this is purely based on interpretation of these posts, which is why I've been dragging my feet watching this OnDemand instead of rewatching every season of Burn Notice on DVD), the show isn't mirroring the theme of the movies. It seems like there are Easter egg mentions & similar characters, but the plots are mostly formulaic vanilla. Each of the movies had prior comic storylines incorporated into the plots; Extremis, Armor Wars, origins, etc. This series (seems) to be crowbarring comic references into plots of countless other shows.

I think THAT is the complaint. Plus, why a completely new cast of characters? I know there are only a handful of SHIELD agents with names, but that would've been a better angle to incorporate. Imagine having an Avengers series with Hawkeye & 5 characters you've never heard of & supposed to immediately care about them.

Again, it's purely based on what I'm reading here. I'm looking more forward to see how many of the complaints are accurate verse just nitpicking.

M
  • Options
    Can we have Neal McDonough show up as an elderly Dum Dum Dugan? He could show Agent Ward how its done.
  • Options
    They need a scene where Ward and Skye are starting to get it on and then the camera pans to a gun in a holster.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Casting that particular actor to be an Agent that gives Coulson a warning is cementing my theory that Phil and his group are chasing their own tail. Namely, all that Centipede business is just a front of rogue SHIELD agents - or something of that nature. Or SHIELD has been infiltrated by the Red Skull and HYDRA. We'll see.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Casting that particular actor to be an Agent that gives Coulson a warning is cementing my theory that Phil and his group are chasing their own tail. Namely, all that Centipede business is just a front of rogue SHIELD agents - or something of that nature. Or SHIELD has been infiltrated by the Red Skull and HYDRA. We'll see.

"That particular actor..." is Titus Welliver and he appeared as Agent Blake in the short "Item 47" from the avengers Marvel One-shot. I think his inclusion was more of a universe reference cameo more than anything.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

The effects to show a guy parachuting are probably a lot cheaper than to show a flying car. Have we even seen it fly since the first episode?

That's probably why we also got a virus instead of a supervillain or alien. And an episode set almost entirely on board the plane.

In spite of that, though, I felt this went a long way toward fleshing out the characters. Fitz and Simmons finally have distinct personalities. I even found Ward and Skye likable this episode. Coulson's plot moved forward a little. Hints of tension at SHIELD. This may be the first episode that felt like part of a larger season, and not just a one-shot threat of the week story.

Last week, I couldn't have card less if they'd killed off Simmons. This week, I was actually worried they were really going to do it.

I still have to Google to remind myself which one is Fitz and which one is Simmons, so not a total turnaround, but I still have hope for the show.