Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Anyone else lament the demise of tv theme songs..especially in cartoons and sitcoms?

There still are a few but they're either not very good or they're extremely short.

Best thing about Big Bang Theory.
    Am i the only one that shouts BANG! every time?
    I also whistle the warbley part of the Doctor Who theme. I actually forgot once and my wife thought there was something wrong with the TV. :D
  • Anyone reading AXIS? So far, so good imo.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    random73 said:

Am i the only one that shouts BANG! every time?
    :D

No you are not.

Has anyone else watched BoJack Horseman on Netflix yet? I really enjoyed the show.
    I love peppers and spicy food, and found this 538 article very interesting.

Life lesson on using peppers: if you are cooking with any fresh pepper hotter than an ancho wear disposable gloves and wash your hands carefully. The last thing you want to happen is to rub your face, or go to the bathroom with serrano juice on your hands.... someplaces are not meant to feel the fire.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Heading to Kansas City this weekend for the JDRF http://www2.jdrf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=walk_homepage. If anybody wants to support Team Lindsey (my neice) I would not have my feelings hurt.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    mwhitt80 said:

I love peppers and spicy food, and found this 538 article very interesting.

Life lesson on using peppers: if you are cooking with any fresh pepper hotter than an ancho wear disposable gloves and wash your hands carefully. The last thing you want to happen is to rub your face, or go to the bathroom with serrano juice on your hands.... someplaces are not meant to feel the fire.

This was a lesson learned for a whole kitchen crew I worked with almost twenty years ago. Thankfully no body parts other than hands were set ablaze.
    Greg said:

This was a lesson learned for a whole kitchen crew I worked with almost twenty years ago. Thankfully no body parts other than hands were set ablaze.

Never go to the restroom in the middle of chopping up serrano peppers. EVER. No matter how well you think you washed your hands before it is not good enough.
    You can thank me for this by not making certain you never do that.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Here in the great American SW, it's an annual tradition that every fall you go to a truck farm and purchase a bushel of freshly roasted chili. You take that hot box home, peal and freeze the chili. It doesn't matter what kind of gloves you wear, after a couple of hours of peeling chili, your hands are going to get hot.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I once ate chicken wings based in a Ghost Pepper sauce. I got two bites in me and had to stop. I was crying and my lips burned the rest of the evening.

Good times? :)
    mwhitt80 said:

Greg said:

Never go to the restroom in the middle of chopping up serrano peppers. EVER. No matter how well you think you washed your hands before it is not good enough.
    You can thank me for this by not making certain you never do that.
    And just stay away from ghost peppers. Just turn around and walk away, no good can ever come from it.

There was one guy there that cut up two cases of habaneros and serranos bare handed and had to be treated for chemical burns. The executive chef whose bright idea it was ended up quiting over it.
    I will never understand the desire of some to inflict that kind of pain on themselves and others.
    I stick with a good Anaheim varietal for a traditional Pork, Green Chili.
    Ghost Peppers are a special class of hell. Why would anyone want to create or use a pepper that in is over 1mil scottville (any pepper over 1mil is considered a ghost pepper)?

To give perspective Haberanos are 150,00-250,000 SHU
    Jalepenos are about 3,500
    Serranos are about 6,000
    Tabasco Peppers are 30,000 - 50,000

There are big ranges on the hotter peppers because of the way scottsvilles are measured and there are large variations in the oil content (what makes peppers hot) between plants (no 2 jalepeno plants are going to produce the same level of heat).

The reason I mention this is because anything above Tobasco Peppers (not to be confused with the sauce which is diluted) is too damn hot to use. Tobasco Peppers are too damn hot to use.

Interestingly peppers grown in dryer conditions are hotter than peppers grown in wet conditions. The jalepenos I grow are pansies; it's too wet here.

Now I've got some little purple guys that will put hair on chest.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    mwhitt80 said:

Ghost Peppers are a special class of hell. Why would anyone want to create or use a pepper that in is over 1mil scottville (any pepper over 1mil is considered a ghost pepper)?

Serranos are about 6,000

There are big ranges on the hotter peppers because of the way scottsvilles are measured and there are large variations in the oil content (what makes peppers hot) between plants (no 2 jalepeno plants are going to produce the same level of heat).

The reason I mention this is because anything above Tobasco Peppers (not to be confused with the sauce which is diluted) is too damn hot to use. Tobasco Peppers are too damn hot to use.

My God.

This post is like the OHOTMU of peppers.
    I have this stupid caveman side of me that considers hot food a gauntlet to be thrown down in front of me.

True story #2: Wife and I are at a Thai restaurant. You can pick the hotness of your meal on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being fairly bland and 5 being only Thai people and Satan can stomach it. So of course, I say "bring me the 5".

The waitress makes sure I know what I'm saying. "You sure you want the 5? It's really hot, sir." So now my honor and masculinity is in question. I demanded she bring the five!

So the food comes out, and I take a bite. Bland as hell. I'm like...Thai people are absolute wusses if this is hot! The cheering section in my head is chanting "OVER! RATED!" when the waitress brings by a small container of the spices that make up level 5. "The chef didn't put this in. He figured you'd want to have control over it."

Control my ass, woman! Never question my sheer goddamn manliness! I upended the thing over my plate and stirred it in. I should have known when the waitresses all kind of gathered around at a distance to watch I was in trouble. Took a big bite anyway...the burn was pretty noticeable, but to my credit, I'm a decent actor. Took another bite, then another. After that all my taste buds had been charred away like Stalingrad during the siege.

The waitress, to her credit, kept the water glass full. I should have asked for milk, as that'll cut the burn better than water. But I had a mission - Finish.That.Plate. Without screaming. The last bite devoured, my wife looking at me in horror like I was Violet Beauregard and was going to turn blue and balloon up in a second, I calmly paid the bill and thanked everyone as I walked out...sure that they knew they were in the presence of Godhood that evening.

When we got to the car I crumpled up and cried like a little girl for my wife to get me home so I could do something about the jaw I could no longer feel. :)

TS those were my college years. Now after testing, proving, and dealing with agonizing pain; I say forget that. I was once young; now I have gained a small amount of wisdom. a very small amount.
    When I find stuff like this it just depresses me that we have no comics based on the lore from miniature wargames.

edited October 2014
    Torchsong said:

I have this stupid caveman side of me that considers hot food a gauntlet to be thrown down in front of me.

True story #2: Wife and I are at a Thai restaurant. You can pick the hotness of your meal on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being fairly bland and 5 being only Thai people and Satan can stomach it. So of course, I say "bring me the 5".

The waitress makes sure I know what I'm saying. "You sure you want the 5? It's really hot, sir." So now my honor and masculinity is in question. I demanded she bring the five!

So the food comes out, and I take a bite. Bland as hell. I'm like...Thai people are absolute wusses if this is hot! The cheering section in my head is chanting "OVER! RATED!" when the waitress brings by a small container of the spices that make up level 5. "The chef didn't put this in. He figured you'd want to have control over it."

Control my ass, woman! Never question my sheer goddamn manliness! I upended the thing over my plate and stirred it in. I should have known when the waitresses all kind of gathered around at a distance to watch I was in trouble. Took a big bite anyway...the burn was pretty noticeable, but to my credit, I'm a decent actor. Took another bite, then another. After that all my taste buds had been charred away like Stalingrad during the siege.

The waitress, to her credit, kept the water glass full. I should have asked for milk, as that'll cut the burn better than water. But I had a mission - Finish.That.Plate. Without screaming. The last bite devoured, my wife looking at me in horror like I was Violet Beauregard and was going to turn blue and balloon up in a second, I calmly paid the bill and thanked everyone as I walked out...sure that they knew they were in the presence of Godhood that evening.

When we got to the car I crumpled up and cried like a little girl for my wife to get me home so I could do something about the jaw I could no longer feel. :)

A HA!
    You're the guy that brings the pot of chili to a pot luck and dares everyone to take a bite. Only to take home a full pot of chili at the end of the pot luck, and say, "Well, that's more for me." as you leave.
    Greg said:

When I find stuff like this it just depresses me that we have no comics based on the lore from miniature wargames.

They're out there! I remember Infernus which covered a Sister of Battle. There was also one about the Blood Angels I remember reading.

They were both horrible reads unless you're really into 40K, but the artwork was quite good.

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I don't think Marvel or DC will make any overtures to this film director anytime soon, or ever. He directed the film "Babel" a few years ago.

"Superheroes…just the word hero bothers me. What the fuck does that mean? It's a false, misleading conception, the superhero. Then, the way they apply violence to it, it's absolutely right wing. If you observe the mentality of most of those films, it's really about people who are rich, who have power, who will do the good, who will kill the bad. Philosophically, I just don't like them. I think there’s nothing wrong with being fixated on superheroes when you are 7 years old, but I think there’s a disease in not growing up. The corporation and the hedge funds have a hold on Hollywood and they all want to make money on anything that signifies cinema. When you put $100 million and you get $800 million or $1 billion, it is very hard to convince people. You tell them, you will put in $20 million and you will get $80 million. Now, that is a [frick]ing amazing business, but they say, “$80 million? I want $800 million.” Basically, the room to exhibit good nice films is over."
    González Iñárritu

More here: comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ignition/news/?a=109380
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

Serranos are about 6,000

My God.

It's the Official Handbook of the Pepper Universe! The OHOTPU!

Wait... that don't sound right. Maybe after you eat the pepper...
    Torchsong said:

Greg said:

They're out there! I remember Infernus which covered a Sister of Battle. There was also one about the Blood Angels I remember reading.

They were both horrible reads unless you're really into 40K, but the artwork was quite good.

Yeah, I found the SoB book, haven't found the Blood Angels. There should be more though. Some of these games have a setting and lore that can rival LotR. With all of the video game comics and decades of D & D books, you would think some of these other game companies would try to get their stuff out there.
  • I've previously gone on the record as stating I'd be willing to plunk down money on books featuring the following team-ups:

* MODOK and Maria Hill
    * Jim Hammond and the Future Foundation

Allow me to add another pairing to my list:

* Dr. Doom and Valeria Richards

Anybody reading any of their stuff? They are comedy gold together!

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884

I don't think Marvel or DC will make any overtures to this film director anytime soon, or ever. He directed the film "Babel" a few years ago.

"Superheroes…just the word hero bothers me. What the fuck does that mean? It's a false, misleading conception, the superhero. Then, the way they apply violence to it, it's absolutely right wing. If you observe the mentality of most of those films, it's really about people who are rich, who have power, who will do the good, who will kill the bad. Philosophically, I just don't like them. I think there’s nothing wrong with being fixated on superheroes when you are 7 years old, but I think there’s a disease in not growing up. The corporation and the hedge funds have a hold on Hollywood and they all want to make money on anything that signifies cinema. When you put $100 million and you get $800 million or $1 billion, it is very hard to convince people. You tell them, you will put in $20 million and you will get $80 million. Now, that is a [frick]ing amazing business, but they say, “$80 million? I want $800 million.” Basically, the room to exhibit good nice films is over."
    González Iñárritu

More here: comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ignition/news/?a=109380

Whether or not you agree with his view on superhero movies in the market, his film Birdman is incredible. I got the chance to see a screening of it last weekend.

I need to start a thread on it, as it is worth it's own discussion.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Anyone else lament the demise of tv theme songs..especially in cartoons and sitcoms?

There still are a few but they're either not very good or they're extremely short.

I gotta agree.

My iPod has dozens of Movie/TV/Cartoon theme songs on it and I enjoy them as much as the other songs on it.

Still one of my favorite CGS episodes is the cartoon theme song episode.
    fredzilla said:

David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

Serranos are about 6,000

My God.

It's the Official Handbook of the Pepper Universe! The OHOTPU!

Wait... that don't sound right. Maybe after you eat the pepper...
    Exactly! Talk about fire in the hole!
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Birdman is getting raves, especially Michael Keaton. If this leads to a Keaton resurgence then I will hop on board
  • So, in the Marvel Universe, when the good guys get themselves into some sort of legal trouble, they hire Matt Murdock or She-Hulk to be their attorney.

What do the bad guys do? Is there a "go to" criminal defense firm that they turn to?
    When did Kathleen Turner start looking like my Mom?

So, in the Marvel Universe, when the good guys get themselves into some sort of legal trouble, they hire Matt Murdock or She-Hulk to be their attorney.

What do the bad guys do? Is there a "go to" criminal defense firm that they turn to?

That would be interesting. Could you imagine having Purpleman as your Defense Attorney?