Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

Cliffy would beat you to death for accusing him of hoarding mail. That man loved the post office.

Well, not so much beat as talk you to death...
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,622
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    mwhitt80 said:

Cliffy would beat you to death for accusing him of hoarding mail. That man loved the post office.

Newman, on the other hand ...
  • Options
    rebis said:

Newman, on the other hand ...

Newman isn't going to just stand around and take this abuse from you Geeks, so on that note ...

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Winsor McCay would have been 145 today.
    Happy birthday, Mr. McCay!

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2014
    I was listening to the CGS Spotlight on "Marvel in the 60s" over the weekend, and it had me curious as to what the first instance was of a shared Marvel Universe (ie - post Fantastic Four #1). And by that, I mean what is the first known crossover, or mention, of one character into another character's book, thus establishing that they were all in a shared universe? It's not something I've been able to find via google and so I thought I'd turn to the experts.
  • Options
    Well, Johnny is reading a Hulk comic in FF #5, but didn’t say anything that said definitively whether Hulk was part of their world or not. As far as definitive crossover appearances, Ant-Man appeared in FF #15 (cover date Jun. 1963). Not sure if anyone is mentioned in passing before that.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Fantastic Four #12, the FF meet the Hulk, cover date March 1963

Amazing Spider-Man #1, guest starring the FF, also cover date March 1963
  • Options
    What about FF #4, return of Namor? Does that count at all?
  • Options
    Thanks @Greg‌ (and @nweathington‌)! Good question re: Namor. I'm primarily interested in the 1st instance of characters from the post-FF #1 world.
  • Options
    Is there a source you're getting that from, btw?
  • Options
    Greg said:

I don’t count that, because for a long time, Namor only appears in FF. As far a new readers were concerned, Namor was a brand new character with a weird backstory.
  • Options

To speed up the process, I just looked through the American Comic Book Chronicles:1960-1964. Then I looked up the dates of a few issues on the Grand Comic Book Database.
  • Options
    I'm thinking I'm just using the wrong keywords on Google or something. Really surprised I'm having such a hard time finding this.
  • Options

Greg said:

I don’t count that, because for a long time, Namor only appears in FF. As far a new readers were concerned, Namor was a brand new character with a weird backstory.
    Agreed, I didn't look at that way at first.

I have a lot of the early Marvel stuff in Essentials and Masterworks, I often refer to comicbookdb.com when I need to.

• Options
    Forgot Hulk appeared in FF that early. For some reason I was thinking it was a bit later. And the FF do appear in the back-up story in Amazing #1. Those are going to be the first physical crossovers. There could be a mention of Richards or the Baxter Building in earlier Hulk or Ant-Man stories, but I kind of doubt it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2014
    Anyone else get a copy of the Marvel 75th anniversary with their DCBS order this month and notice all the movie property heroes appeared on the cover, but the FirstFamily of Marvel and the XMen are all conspicuously absent?

Since those "rumors" I sort of check the promo material for FF signs out of habit now... kind of depressing. Marvel must really have it out for FOX.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Anyone else get a copy of the Marvel 75th anniversary with their DCBS order this month and notice all the movie property heroes appeared on the cover, but the FirstFamily of Marvel and the XMen are all conspicuously absent?

Since those "rumors" I sort of check the promo material for FF signs out of habit now... kind of depressing. Marvel must really have it out for FOX.

Sad.

• Options

Reading and listening to a lot of news, it sounds like Marvel has a real beef with Fox. Their relationship seems to be acrimonious. While on the other hand, their relationship with Sony is apparently extremely positive. Part of the reason the Oscorp tower almost made it into Avengers and neither studio outright discounts the possibility of Spider-man appearing in the Avengers one day.
  • Options

I'm noticing Black Bolt there, as well... I remember reading speculation somewhere that Marvel wanted to make them "their" X-Men, movie-wise.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I could dig Starbuck in a Captain Marvel movie. I'd take Katee Sackhoff as the Captain any day of the week.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,622
    No Fantastic Four either...
    Only marvel's first family and the cornerstone of the marvel universe for their silver age
  • Options
    Some random things I'm liking in comics these days:

* The Ms. Marvel / Lockjaw team-up (which followed the awesome Ms. Marvel / Wolverine team-up)

* The "NuHuman" guy who can channel all his Inhuman ancestors in a style reminiscent of the ghost from "Scrooged":

* Jim Hammond, Agent of SHIELD

* MODOK, Agent of SHIELD

* The series "Low" by Image. Despite some truly stunning artwork, issue #1 didn't really grab me. Glad I stuck with it.

* AXIS. The bits and pieces I'm seeing thus far in Magneto and Uncanny Avengers have me looking forward to reading this.
  • Options
  • Options
    random73 said:

I could dig Starbuck in a Captain Marvel movie. I'd take Katee Sackhoff as the Captain any day of the week.

DISAGREE!
  • Options

random73 said:

DISAGREE!
    Okay? Not a fan I'm guessing. That's okay. Who's your choice?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    My new favorite phrase for blowing money. "I just spunked it on the wall."

Thanks, Nick Frost!

I don't think Marc Maron caught what he said...
  • Options
    random73 said:

random73 said:

DISAGREE!
    Not a fan. She occupies the same space as Kate Mara. Insufferable to watch in everything.

If I had to choose my perfect Carol Danvers it'd be Kerry Russell, who's probably too old now.
  • Options

random73 said:

random73 said:

DISAGREE!
    Not a fan. She occupies the same space as Kate Mara. Insufferable to watch in everything.

If I had to choose my perfect Carol Danvers it'd be Kerry Russell, who's probably too old now.
    I feel for Kerry Russel the same way you feel for Katee Sackoff.