Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Greg said:

random73 said:

random73 said:

I could dig Starbuck in a Captain Marvel movie. I'd take Katee Sackhoff as the Captain any day of the week.

DISAGREE!
    Okay? Not a fan I'm guessing. That's okay. Who's your choice?
    Not a fan. She occupies the same space as Kate Mara. Insufferable to watch in everything.

If I had to choose my perfect Carol Danvers it'd be Kerry Russell, who's probably too old now.
    I feel for Kerry Russel the same way you feel for Katee Sackoff.
    Huh. I like Kerry Russel. She was great in planet of the apes but she never would have occurred to me for Captain Marvel she too...pretty. I mean, delicate looking. I don't see her convincingly punching Super Skrull in the face. If your complaint about Sackhoff (and I don't know that I have this quite right) is that she just looks like a bitch then, yeah I see that and it's exactly why I want her for Carol Danvers. If you just think she's a terrible actress (and i think that is more where your coming from) them I have to just shrug and disagree. It is a little like Linda Hamilton. I almost can't stand her but I don't want anybody else to be Sarah Conner. Kate Mara I couldn't pick out of a lineup if my soul depended on it. My second choice for Captain marvel would be Zap from American Gladiators circa 1988.

Excuse me that was 1989.
  • random73 said:

Greg said:

random73 said:

random73 said:

I could dig Starbuck in a Captain Marvel movie. I'd take Katee Sackhoff as the Captain any day of the week.

DISAGREE!
    Not a fan. She occupies the same space as Kate Mara. Insufferable to watch in everything.

If I had to choose my perfect Carol Danvers it'd be Kerry Russell, who's probably too old now.
    Huh. I like Kerry Russel. She was great in planet of the apes but she never would have occurred to me for Captain Marvel she too...pretty. I mean, delicate looking. I don't see her convincingly punching Super Skrull in the face. If your complaint about Sackhoff (and I don't know that I have this quite right) is that she just looks like a bitch then, yeah I see that and it's exactly why I want her for Carol Danvers. If you just think she's a terrible actress (and i think that is more where your coming from) them I have to just shrug and disagree. It is a little like Linda Hamilton. I almost can't stand her but I don't want anybody else to be Sarah Conner. Kate Mara I couldn't pick out of a lineup if my soul depended on it. My second choice for Captain marvel would be Zap from American Gladiators circa 1988.
    It's definitely the quality of her performance that bothers me. Her definition of acting seems to be to act contrary to every one around her. There's no depth. Maybe it's the roles, but I find her an irritating presence. As for the physicality of Russell, I agree. But that's something that can be worked on. And if you've ever seen "The Americans" you know she can be a brutal and efficient ass kicker.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    A blonde Gina Carano or Ronda Rousey would make for a perfect Carol Danvers. Acting? Who cares! :x
  • While Kerri Russell wouldn't be my first choice, she's pretty much a legit badass in "The Americans."

random73 said:

Greg said:

random73 said:

random73 said:

DISAGREE!

It's definitely the quality of her performance that bothers me. Her definition of acting seems to be to act contrary to every one around her. There's no depth. Maybe it's the roles, but I find her an irritating presence. As for the physicality of Russell, I agree. But that's something that can be worked on. And if you've ever seen "The Americans" you know she can be a brutal and efficient ass kicker.
    I think, as far as Battlestar Galactica goes, that contrarian element was in the script. You're right about the physicality being workable. We see lots of male actors get super fit for heroic roles. And Russell can certain act. (That Zap thing was a joke by the way...mostly). I'm trying to think of an actress I could see going through basic training. Like Demi Moore in GI Jane but more convincing.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2014
    I think an actress like Emily Blunt "Edge of Tomorrow" could pull it off. She's pretty tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApggcjh674
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    There's something about Emily Blunt that I just don't care for. Maybe seeing Edge of Tomorrow will change my mind.

If she was Captain Marvel, I'd be forced to give it a try. I'd likely be more open to Starbuck in the role.

Edge of Tomorrow

Best movie nobody saw in 2014.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Edge of Tomorrow

Worst-titled film of 2014.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Edge of Tomorrow

really?
    random73 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Edge of Tomorrow

really?
    It looked really good, despite Tom Cruise.

But even Groundhog War would have been a better title.
    edited October 2014
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2014
    Sorry @random73 I could never get through the first minute and a half or so to watch that video beyond the first time... the interludes further gave me a bad taste. Too much angst and drama for my liking...
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Edge of Tomorrow

really?

How about "All You Need Is Kill"? Which was what the original story was called when it debuted as a manga title.

Unfortunately the movie's distributor has further diluted the marketing efforts by seemingly retitling the bluray and dvd cover art live. die. repeat.

huh?

WetRats said:

random73 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Edge of Tomorrow

really?

I passed on that becasue of Tom Cruise. IT looked like a video game adventure. save your progress and start again.
    My boy Jeff Goldblum doing his Goldblum thing!

http://youtu.be/egIY7ushchU

Unfortunately the movie's distributor has further diluted the marketing efforts by seemingly retitling the bluray and dvd cover art live. die. repeat.

Still a better title.
    The movie is great, imho.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    random73 said:

My boy Jeff Goldblum doing his Goldblum thing!

http://youtu.be/egIY7ushchU

MY GOD, THAT'S CREEPY!
  • Mr_Cosmic said:

The movie is great, imho.

The book is phenomenal. A quick read. but really great.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    edited October 2014
    I didn't even notice, because my daughter has been watching cartoons all day. And let's face it, most of the Saturday morning fare was complete crap. Even as a little kid I knew that. I don’t want to even think about how many hours of terrible cartoons I sat through while waiting for the three or four good ones to come on. Once they started editing the Looney Tunes shorts, Saturday mornings were pretty much over for me anyway.

Now excuse me while I get back to my bowl of Frosted Flakes. Adventure Time is about to start.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited October 2014
    This one goes out to all my fellow Bay Area CGS posse members.

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    We don't have cable and I haven't actually read the article, but I'm a fan of PBS and they've got some great shows for kids. Curious George, Peg + Cat, Wild Kratts, and Dinosaur Train among others that play Sunday through Saturday every week. It's a staple in the morning at our house. Sure it's not what I had growing up, but few things are anymore anyway.
    edited October 2014
    Netflix and Amazon Prime have a bunch of 80s and 90s cartoons. My kids are getting a kick out of watching them and its fun introducing them to what I watched as a kid.
    fredzilla said:

We don't have cable and I haven't actually read the article, but I'm a fan of PBS and they've got some great shows for kids. Curious George, Peg + Cat, Wild Kratts, and Dinosaur Train among others that play Sunday through Saturday every week. It's a staple in the morning at our house. Sure it's not what I had growing up, but few things are anymore anyway.
    Two words: Word Girl!
  • fredzilla said:

I'm always amazed at how far Word Girl pushes its tongue in cheekiness.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

fredzilla said:

Exactly. I have shared some Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, and Pink Panther with my kids and they love them all. And those were all before my time . They're also big fans of Animaniacs, Duck Tales, and Tail Spin. I guess though, none of these have been on over the air television as it was when I was growing up.
    fredzilla said:

fredzilla said:

Exactly. I have shared some Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, and Pink Panther with my kids and they love them all. And those were all before my time . They're also big fans of Animaniacs, Duck Tales, and Tail Spin. I guess though, none of these have been on over the air television as it was when I was growing up.
    It's all as easy to see as taking candy from a baby falling off a bump on a log (to quote TaleSpin’s Don Carnage).
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    I cut my thumb on some lawn staples as I was putting down ground cloth yesterday. 2 things I've learned.
    Lawn staples are sharp so be careful if you use them.
    Gloves are sometimes a good idea.