Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    JaxUr said:

Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood) has been cast as Karen

This future show just got a lot more interesting.

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    They need to film more series over here on the west coast. Vancouver just isn't close enough to try and catch a filming on the streets!
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

Elden Henson (Mighty Ducks; Hunger Games) has been cast as Foggy Nelson.

Max from (Freak) The Mighty!
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood) has been cast as Karen Page:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/17/true-blood-actress-to-star-in-marvels-daredevil/

If you've never seen her on HBO's True Blood, here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqR4ECP49Lw

hubba hubba
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2014
    Anyone else find it a bit peculiar that this series debuts in May yet VERY LITTLE about it was even mentioned at SDCC? No marketing whatsoever. Maybe they're saving it for NYCC.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245

Anyone else find it a bit peculiar that this series debuts in May yet VERY LITTLE about it was even mentioned at SDCC? No marketing whatsoever. Maybe they're saving it for NYCC.

Agreed. Seems strange, but Marvel's got so much going on at once, I could see how that could happen.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2014
    In the case of the Netflix shows, Marvel Studios is the production company, but not the distributor. It is on Netflix to be behind promoting it, and it may be that their strategy is different, with a bigger push to come later. Netflix may have also not wanted to put their TV shows in competition for hype with the whole cast of Avengers for example. Depending on when the Netflix shows go live, it may be that their money is better spent next SDCC when there is more to show, and more of the actors are cast. Or for presenting when they could be a bigger deal at a smaller pond, like at NYCC.
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

Agreed. Seems strange, but Marvel's got so much going on at once, I could see how that could happen.

Sounds about right. With GotG getting ready to premiere, I'm sure that's where they wanted all the focus.

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I think it is smarter to make a big promotional push at the New York Comic Con. It is closer to the debut of the series. It would be the biggest non-comic thing at the show not to mention they are New York based shows.
  • Options
    spid said:

I think it is smarter to make a big promotional push at the New York Comic Con. It is closer to the debut of the series. It would be the biggest non-comic thing at the show not to mention they are New York based shows.

I can see that, but still, I would've expected the title logo or something to show up somewhere... oh well. No point in second guessing them with their track record.
  • Options
    Vincent D’Onofrio on what it’s like to be working on a Marvel project like Daredevil:
    They’re looking for artists that are willing to take chances and are willing to create characters, even if that character has been around for years and years in comic books, they still are depending on us to create something and take it somewhere else. Robert Downey [Jr.] is the perfect example of that. Who knew that Iron Man was going to be who Robert made him? And Jon Favreau. I would have never guessed Iron Man was going to be that kind of Tony Stark. Not in a million years, and, you know, that’s because of Jon and especially Robert. So, everybody is following suit with that. Personally, I felt Downey kind of led the way in that, and he’s kind of said to the studios and to the public, “It can work. These Marvel things can work.”

...I think that there will be no other Wilson Fisk but this one after we’re all done with it. That’s what we’re hoping for.
    Read the full article here from Screencrush.com
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    "The (Netflix) series will not be afraid to go darker than the film did."

http://www.dailysuperhero.com/2014/08/marvels-daredevil-will-be-much-darker.html
  • Options
    Actor Scott Glenn will portray Matt Murdock's mentor/trainer, Stick.
    "Stick is one of the most important figures in Matt Murdock's life and Scott Glenn embodies all the qualities of someone so integral to this hero's journey," said Jeph Loeb, Marvel's Head of Television. "There are few actors who could bring such the authenticity, gravitas and charisma to such a key role in Matt's journey to become the super hero we call Daredevil."

"Marvel's Daredevil" follows the journey of Matt Murdock, who was blinded as a young boy but imbued with extraordinary senses, now fighting against injustice by day as a lawyer, and by night as the super hero Daredevil in modern day Hell's Kitchen, New York City.
    More here: marvel.com

Marvel has also announced that the full cast will be presented at the upcoming NYCC.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014

First photo of Daredevil. I'm hoping its pre-costume, otherwise it reminds me of this:

• Options
    edited October 2014

First photo of Daredevil. I'm hoping its pre-costume, otherwise it reminds me of this:

Clearly they are going for the JRjr origin run on Daredevil which was used in Joe Quesada's concept artwork for the show.

John Romita Jr artwork from Daredevil Man Without Fear

Below is Quesada's concept art for the poster which gives us a first look at how Daredevil’s costume – or at least an early version of it, will appear in the new series. Quesada is obviously one of the most influential creators in Daredevil’s recent history, having edited the title as part of the Marvel Knights imprint, and illustrating Kevin Smith’s excellent Daredevil story, and the Daredevil: Father miniseries.

• Options

Clearly they are going for the JRjr origin run on Daredevil which was used in Joe Quesada's concept artwork for the show.

John Romita Jr artwork from Daredevil Man Without Fear

Below is Quesada's concept art for the poster which gives us a first look at how Daredevil’s costume – or at least an early version of it, will appear in the new series. Quesada is obviously one of the most influential creators in Daredevil’s recent history, having edited the title as part of the Marvel Knights imprint, and illustrating Kevin Smith’s excellent Daredevil story, and the Daredevil: Father miniseries.

I know. Still can't help but see Trial of the Incredible Hulk.
  • Options
    Courage.

I think this is going to be great. I have the feeling that these Netflux series are going to be for superhero TV what the cinematic universe have been for superhero movies. Steady on.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I am impressed that they took an image from the comics that I and a lot of fanboys complained about didn't know about is a good sign.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited November 2014
    Deadline is reporting that Marvel has lined up 4 actresses to test for Jessica Jones. The actresses are Krysten Ritter, Alexandra Daddario, Teresa Palmer and Jessica De Gouw.

They also say Lance Gross and Mike Colter are in consideration for Luke Cage, who is to appear in 6-7 episodes of the series before starring in his own.

UPDATE: Marin Ireland has been added to the list of actresses possibly testing for Jessica Jones and Cleo Anthony has been added as a contender for Luke Cage.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Courage.

I think this is going to be great. I have the feeling that these Netflux series are going to be for superhero TV what the cinematic universe have been for superhero movies. Steady on.

I've got my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    tazmaniak said:

Deadline is reporting that Marvel has lined up 4 actresses to test for Jessica Jones. The actresses are Krysten Ritter, Alexandra Daddario, Teresa Palmer and Jessica De Gouw.

They also say Lance Gross and Mike Colter are in consideration for Luke Cage, who is to appear in 6-7 episodes of the series before starring in his own.

UPDATE: Marin Ireland has been added to the list of actresses possibly testing for Jessica Jones and Cleo Anthony has been added as a contender for Luke Cage.

Of the four actress mentioned I hope anyone but Ritter gets the part. Jessica Jones isn't some super thin lady. IIRC she mentioned wanting to lose weight a bunch of times in Alias. And while Ritter is a decent actress,in the few things I have seen her in,physically she isn't right for the role.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

tazmaniak said:

Of the four actress mentioned I hope anyone but Ritter gets the part. Jessica Jones isn't some super thin lady. IIRC she mentioned wanting to lose weight a bunch of times in Alias. And while Ritter is a decent actress,in the few things I have seen her in,physically she isn't right for the role.
    Agreed, but of the 4, Alexandra Daddario would be my pick. She has the look, and I liked her in True Detective. The only thing I know De Gouw from is Arrow, and the first part of the 2-parter where she was introduced was the last episode I ever watched... Couldn't even hook me with a cliffhanger. And Palmer falls into the Ritter camp in that I like her but don't see her as Jessica Jones.
  • Options

I'm hoping they go with Teresa Palmer (Warm Bodies) for "Jessica Jones" and Mike Colter (The Following) for "Luke Cage".

• Options
    Krysten Ritter has reportedly been cast in the leading role of its "Jessica Jones" according to the Hollywood Reporter, but neither Netflix nor Marvel have confirmed. Can't say I'm all that impressed...
  • Options
    I adore Ritter, but was never a fan of Jewel. And Sweet Christmas, I do like Colter. Let's see him in the open chested yellow shirt and chain belt, stat!
  • Options

I adore Ritter, but was never a fan of Jewel. And Sweet Christmas, I do like Colter. Let's see him in the open chested yellow shirt and chain belt, stat!

Are you referring to Jessica Jones' superhero identity? Or Jessica herself? Because I think the idea was always that she was more remarkable as a civilian than she ever was in costume.

Which brings me to a question. In Iron Man it's determined that super humans are just then starting to pop up, there isn't exactly a long history of superheroism in the MCU. We haven't seen any street level characters at all battling crime, Daredevil will be the first. So like, when was she Jewel? How was that not a national story at this point? Did she sit the Chitauri invasion out? In the 616 she's one of literally millions of powered individuals, thousands of whom have undistinguished careers in costume, both as heroes and villians. It's easy to accept that she'd be obscure and forgotten. But how the MCU is set up now, there is no precedent for a super-powered crime fighter. It makes me curious how they are going to make her story work in a world where just her existence is remarkable.
  • Options

Are you referring to Jessica Jones' superhero identity? Or Jessica herself? Because I think the idea was always that she was more remarkable as a civilian than she ever was in costume.

Which brings me to a question. In Iron Man it's determined that super humans are just then starting to pop up, there isn't exactly a long history of superheroism in the MCU. We haven't seen any street level characters at all battling crime, Daredevil will be the first. So like, when was she Jewel? How was that not a national story at this point? Did she sit the Chitauri invasion out? In the 616 she's one of literally millions of powered individuals, thousands of whom have undistinguished careers in costume, both as heroes and villians. It's easy to accept that she'd be obscure and forgotten. But how the MCU is set up now, there is no precedent for a super-powered crime fighter. It makes me curious how they are going to make her story work in a world where just her existence is remarkable.
    I think it is a good question, and I agree that the idea of Alias was one that was meant to fit into a world of heroes so crowded, and so far into the age of superheroes, that there could be a minor one whose career you'd never heard of (which I know irked some, but I thought was actually a really interesting and meta way to do a ret-con.)

I wonder whether the Netflix show will just be about a person who got superpowers but kept them quiet, and maybe made use of them in the career of being a PI that she always wanted. Or maybe she got powers and, very shortly into her career, gets scooped up by SHIELD and either used and discarded, or intimidated out of being an unregulated costumed hero (sort of like some of the early Fury/Peter encounters in Ultimate Spider-Man). But I think it will have to be different than it was in the books, which is fine. My hope is that, however her past may be tweaked, the spirit of who she is as a character when we meet her will succeed at being like the character in Alias.