Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best single issue you have read this week

Comments

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I have been reading from trades this week. The only actual comic I read the past few days is Archies Summer Splash, the FCBD one from a year or two ago. I just loved that book. It is a lot of fun and a good way to kick off summer
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    American Flagg! special #1

Written and drawn by Howard Chaykin this is his introduction to his Time2 graphic novel. Reuben Flagg falls asleep watching tv and gets transported to the world of Time2. Pretty interesting idea that would have made a good monthly series. But from what I can remember there was only one or two Time2 graphic novels.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Rachel Rising #8.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    SNAKE EYES & STORM SHADOW #13 - Almost for the covers alone they still win this week for me.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    This week I have to give it to my man Mark Waid for the final issue of Irrdeemable. Waid manages to wrap up one of the darkest comics I have ever read with an inspirational note that doesn't feel saccharin or forced.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I've only read one so far this week so Ultimate X-Men 12 is winning so far. Seems like every other issue is a part of the story that I don't quite understand but it really feels there's a building going on, I just hope the pay off lives up to it.
  • Options
    I just read X-Factor #1 from 1986. Wow! I actually liked the way they brought Jean back here and I liked the whole idea of this covert team. It has a very "creature of the week" x-files feel to it, no pun intended. The whole scott leaving lil cable and Maddie is a very sophisticated plot line compared to what came before in the x-books and makes the idea of a hero more ambiguous. I can't recall the artist at this second but its great too.
  • Options
    Double Jumpers #1 really surprised me, I wanted to support them because they are good guys and the sketch cards were rad, but the story actually caught me and I want to finish this out. I'm just sad it is a 4 part mini because it makes it kind of predictable, but if that is the worst thing I can say is that I want more I have to give it my pick so far.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I got my DCBS box yesterday and I read five or six books last night. The first things I grabbed were Double Jumpers #1 and Skullkickers #14. Picking one over the other is like splitting a hair.
    I have to go with Skullkickers though. Nailed my guess on the origin of the gun and Baldy.
  • Options
    ooohhh I'd forgotten about this being the Double Jumpers month, and the tracking number says the box is on my front porch, the next hour of work can't go quick enough
  • Options
    now my new pick is avengers academy 29, by and far my favorite avengers book right now
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Harbinger #1. Hands down. I really loved this book. It's weird and strange, and totally familiar, all at the same time.
  • Options
    Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1 has to be the best of my stack this week. Taking the furore around the books out of it, this was an excellently crafted issue and shows what a master of the craft Darwyn Cooke is.
  • Options
    Secret #1. I'm not sure where this funhouse ride through gangsterville is going to end up but I have bought my ticket.
  • Options
    Harbinger #1. Hands down. I really loved this book. It's weird and strange, and totally familiar, all at the same time.
    Totally agree... loved the art, loved how much character and story was there. It drew me right in. And never having read the old series, I confess to being totally sold on this book by the cover alone. Can't wait for the next issue...
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    Saga #1. Stole some peace and quiet last night and read the first issue of what is now my favorite new comic. Right up my alley. I expect a lot from BKV, but this lived up to expectations. Great artwork by Fiona Staples (I can tell she enjoys working on this).

My only dilemma now: how long do I have to wait for a trade?
  • Options
    Catwoman #9 was pretty freaking awesome. I've never given much attention to Judd Winick before, but I will now.
  • Options
    Maybe a tad bit spoilery. Fantastic Four #607

I have learned that I would much rather see America become owned by Wakanda over China. I for one welcome our Wakandan rulers.
  • Options
    Catwoman #9 was pretty freaking awesome. I've never given much attention to Judd Winick before, but I will now.
    I like Winick, too. I think he has taken some heat over the years but I enjoyed the hell out of his Outsiders and Green Arrow. He doesn't strike me as a superstar so much as a good utility player who gets the job done when you're in a pinch. Also, he tends to stay on books for good long runs, I like that too.
  • Options
    Planetoid! What a complete joy to read! This is like a different take on Prophet (another book I am enjoying the hell out of) and even though it is a little unoriginal I love the fact that one guy is doing it all and doing it so well. Fun, interesting, solid pace, great art (although I'm guessing he will grow with time in a few rougher spots), and the entire time I read it I couldn't help but think that if this were made into a movie it would be amazing. Sort of Dune meets Star Wars... in the right hands and done well this would be gold as a film. Really great comic, highly recommended!
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    Read SHAZAM! #1 (1973) last night with a big stupid grin on my face the entire time.
  • Options

Read SHAZAM! #1 (1973) last night with a big stupid grin on my face the entire time.

The 70s Shazam series was great.

• Options
    Lots of good stuff this week but at the risk of taking the easy route I'll go with Saga #5.

While I'm thinking about it. Ron Richards from Ifanboy judged the art in Captain Marvel #1 pretty harshly but I kinda liked it. I felt like it looked refreshingly different from every other superhero book out there. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    elkinscselkinscs Posts: 40
    DC's Space Ghost miniseries from 2005. Okay, so it's not a single issue but I stumbled upon it this week and immediately snapped it up. they took the character in a really cool direction. Kind of like Batman in space. I don't know if they still own the rights to the character but I would love to see some more of this Space Ghost.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Green Lantern #11. Had the most creepiest family dinner I've seen in a comic book for my money.
  • Options
    Tales from Riverdale digest magazine #6

I have always enjoyed the various Archie digest,and the Tales from Riverdale one is my favorite. Mainly cause you got stories about all the various Archie characters. So in an issue you get stories with Sabrina,Dilton and all the other lesser known Archie characters.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Action Comics #9

Yes, I am behind in my reading.

Matthew
  • Options
    Empire #0 although technically that is two in one. I see the entire series can be had on e bay for $10 but the trade is closer to $50. That seems odd to me, any insight?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hawkeye #1. It may not be the "best" single issue I've read, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Matt Fraction has done a good job of making me dislike all of the other Marvel stuff he has touched, so when this was announced I had absolutley no intention of even giving it a glance. I was in the lcs yesterday when the owner brought it up when we were chatting, so I grabbed it and immediately fell for the art and picked it up. I loved the story. I have some issues with how the the Russian's were potrayed, but other than that I really did enjoy it. Matt Fraction proved me wrong.

If the styles of presentation, writing, format and art stays consistant from issue to issue, I'm in long term. However, I'm in this more for Aja than I am Fraction. If/when Aja is done with the series, I probably am also.