Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    *sigh*

As of the first 90 minutes of my workday, I have had the pleasure of jumping from one project to another between at least 6 different projects and a couple of them more than once.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    hauberk said:

*sigh*

As of the first 90 minutes of my workday, I have had the pleasure of jumping from one project to another between at least 6 different projects and a couple of them more than once.

That sounds like Tuesday.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2015
    I've just heard my LCS is moving to just two blocks from my home. I'm happy with that. Although having it so close is going to be a dangerous temptation!!
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    luke52 said:

I've just heard my LCS is moving to just two blocks from my home. I'm happy with that. Although having it so close is going to be a dangerous temptation!!

Look at it as a way to get plenty of exercise.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Judge Parker update: Contractor Hank and Rocky have it in for poor Neddy. That Rocky seems to be a pretty sleazy guy.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Crosspost:

How cool is it that something THE PRESIDENT said ON A PODCAST dominated the national news for a day?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @torchsong did you order James Owens (starchild) dragons coloring book from kickstarter?

Speaking of kickstarter was back in 2013 Rob Liefeld did a kickstarter for brigade (in the current previews). I knew it would be late, but this might be the most extreme of the Extreme. I'm kinda in love with the super lateness its like Deathmate Red 1990s nostalgia.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    luke52 said:

First visit today. Ended up coming home with a stack of old Valiant books from the 50p bins.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Crosspost:

How cool is it that something THE PRESIDENT said ON A PODCAST dominated the national news for a day?

It was interesting. Marc Maron just got the hugest fame boost he could ever ask for.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Crosspost:

It was interesting. Marc Maron just got the hugest fame boost he could ever ask for.
    And I think it is one of those things that might give a boost to awareness of podcasting as well. In the same way that mainstream coverage of Serial likely has.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Crosspost:

And I think it is one of those things that might give a boost to awareness of podcasting as well. In the same way that mainstream coverage of Serial likely has.
    Yeah.

That's my thought as well.

Probably more people asked "What's a podcast?" this week than in the previous five years or so.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I'm shocked people don't know what podcasts are, even if they are not listenening to them. If you could tune in like TV or radio, podcasts would be widespread. The fact that you have to search for and subscribe is the issue. There are many underlying skills needed to do this.

Plus, I've heard that people are lazy.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

@torchsong did you order James Owens (starchild) dragons coloring book from kickstarter?

Speaking of kickstarter was back in 2013 Rob Liefeld did a kickstarter for brigade (in the current previews). I knew it would be late, but this might be the most extreme of the Extreme. I'm kinda in love with the super lateness its like Deathmate Red 1990s nostalgia.

I didn't. I have his complete Starchild and I'm in weight training to be able to lift it and start actually reading it. :)

I've cut back a bit on what I back these days. There's an (ugly) trend for publishers to kickstart things that - 2 to 3 months later - I'll see solicited in Previews that I can order from DCBS for less. Anymore I try and discern whether this person is really an indie trying to do it on their own or if it's someone who's got the deal in place but wants to fund part of it via crowdsourcing.

An exception to this is Digital Manga, who are working to translate and produce Osamu Tezuka books that have never seen print on this side of the Pacific. They get my money with each campaign, but to be fair they throw in a lot of bonus material when the goal gets met. Plus it's Tezuka.

• Options
    I remember us talking about how great the Starchild looked so figured i'd ask. I'll be getting an extra coloring book when they ship. if you'd like a copy message me and I'll ship out to you free of charge.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2015
    RepoMan said:

On a bit of a tangent concerning this: My Twitter feed is full of tweets like the post above. People celebrating something that is important to them is fine. What drives me crazy are the ads that pop up. For example why does some company that sells tires have anything to say about this? Or who cares where the makers of my toothpaste stand on the issue. It just seems disingenuous and nothing more than easy advertising. Do these corporations really care? I don't remember big box retailers or car manufacturers taking a stand ten or fifteen years ago when public sentiment wasn't as positive as it is today.

• Options
    Jeez. I'm as thick as a whale omelet. I didn't get the meaning of the lantern image until I read Mr. Cosmic's post.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    When there are companies revving up their hate machines to deny a segment of customers it's good to know who your allies are. So sure - it may be promotional. But at least you know where they stand. Especially since it's still legal in some states to fire someone just because of who they are. Fights not over yet. :)>-
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited June 2015
    RepoMan said:

it's still legal in some states to fire someone just because of who they are.

Actually they can fire for ANY reason. The US is an at will employment nation. Most states support that notion. Why should sexual orientation affect that?
    Wikipedia: At will employment is generally described as follows: "any hiring is presumed to be 'at will'; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals 'for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all,' and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work."
    Straight people (if they are white and male) can also be legally fired.

Nobody's "revving up their hate machines" despite what DailyKos or HuffPo readers may believe. Most companies have simply chosen not to show any bias by wading into politics. And besides, there are other forums for that discussion.

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited June 2015
    Typical deflection and willful ignorance there. You know very well what the underlying context is in that statement. That there's no work protection against discrimination against sexual preference in those remaining 20+ states. Some states are still struggling with violence as hate crimes in that same discrimination.

And yes - the hate machines are revving up. I've already seen on twitter and elsewhere the cry of "Why should churches now be forced to marry gay couples!" (as if that's the only way people can marry these days). You say "nobody" as if you've read every single blog, article, email, etc. You must have lots of time on your hands.

And therein lies the problem at its core. Marriage shouldn't be a political issue. And I'm glad those companies that chose to support are on the side of history, not politics.
  • Options
    So I am ignorant now? Shall I quote the discriminatory tweets being posted by LGBT supporters to prove a point on this or can we just call a 'draw'? And what exactly is a "hate machine" and which company is revving it up? That's what I was asking about, not tweets from upset "Christians" about the sanctity of marriage or how they might be affected by activists LGBT's that insist a church marry them or a slippery slope towards polygamy. Just you saying companies were revving up the "hate machines."

Yep. I may have a lot of time on my hands, but I'm still convinced that this is a comic book related forum and yet everything you just said there was political. When I responded about a podcast where I disagreed with the points being made, I too was getting political. In this case however, I pointed out that those states you're mad about are "right to work" states where EVERYONE is subject to the whims of the employers. Straight people (even if they're white and male) can also be legally fired in those states for any reason the employer makes up. Are they lining up in any sort of rebellion against those laws?

For what it's worth, I don't think the government should even be in the business of marriage, and I used to think that marriage should be the business of clergy and ship captains. The government should bestow its blessings only on civil unions, however defined. Government doesn't grant marriage status to certify #love. It does so to designate who qualifies for the rights and benefits attached to being in a government-sanctioned marriage or it is concerned with children and families and property. Lots of married people don't love their partners. Lots of unmarried people do.

I've since altered those views. Nonetheless, claiming that companies are revving up their "hate machines" for not promoting their full-throated support for the Supreme Court decision appears top be whiney martyrdom syndrome, and in absence of any evidence of such hate, is actually libelous and not really a subject that I find suitable for comic book forums.

Can we agree to disagree and move on?

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I was going to post the obligatory "popcorn eating gif" here but decided not to.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

...Yep. I may have a lot of time on my hands, but I'm still convinced that this is a comic book related forum and yet everything you just said there was political...

Um, actually...

The sub-forum you are posting in is titled:

"Off Topic - The Everything Else Room
    You want to talk about things that aren't related to comics or the show? No problem! Do it here."

If anything, comic book related talk DOESN'T belong here.
  • Options
    Good show. Then let's keep those politics coming. Since I have so much time on my hands, I can do this all day.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Get back on topic gentlemen. This is turning into a topic and one that is threating the most active thread on forums. Now let's get back on topic.
  • Options
    Michael Dorn, who played the Kilngon Worf, is attempting to revive the character in a new series by garnering support from fans with an online campaign to impress the network decision makers.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3bg44u/i_am_michael_dorn_and_you_may_know_me_as_the/

Would anyone have any interest in that? And if so, what are the chances this project sees the light of day?
  • Options
    I'm watching Throne of Blood on Dailymotion, but in the background I have Bachelorette on the TV.
    What the hell is wrong with me?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm trying to read the original Secret Wars before I dig into this summer's Secret Wars. I'm halfway done and it is a slog-fest--it's taken me almost all month to get this far. I want to get it done soon as issue #3 should arrive from DCBS in the next couple of days. BTW - idk if it's the era, but Shooter sure does write some mysoginistic superheroes and villains (ugh).
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited June 2015
    fredzilla said:

BTW - idk if it's the era, but Shooter sure does write some mysoginistic superheroes and villains (ugh).

To be fair to Jim Shooter, that man has been villainized to almost cartoonish levels for things both on the page and behind the scenes while others such as Gerry Conway are considered gods among men despite exhibiting similar traits.

Also, I find myself much more hesitant lately to dismiss those sorts of attitudes as being representative of certain "eras". Readers in the progressive year of 2015 apparently have no problem with Chris Sims bullying a woman to the point of suicidal depression as long as he supplies them with wacky X-Men Secret Wars tie-ins that reference a twenty-two year-old cartoon show.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2015

fredzilla said:

BTW - idk if it's the era, but Shooter sure does write some mysoginistic superheroes and villains (ugh).

To be fair to Jim Shooter, that man has been villainized to almost cartoonish levels for things both on the page and behind the scenes while others such as Gerry Conway are considered gods among men despite being every bit as mysogynistic.

Also, I find myself much more hesitant lately to dismiss those sorts of attitudes as being representative of certain "eras". Readers in the progressive year of 2015 apparently have no problem with Chris Sims bullying a woman to the point of suicidal depression as long as he supplies them with wacky X-Men Secret Wars tie-ins that reference a twenty-two year-old cartoon show.

This is a bit in the weeds of me, and I am not disagreeing with your larger point-- that there are those who get brought up as examples of the values of a certain era more than others. I do think that happens. And it may be that because Shooter seems to have been disliked personally, and disliked as a boss, that those in a position to recall the history of the era might make sure his old stuff is hung out for judgment more than others.

But, and here is the in the weeds part, I don't know if the comparison between the reaction of what readers saw in their comics in an earlier era to what readers do or don't accept about the online behavior of a writer of a current comic necessarily tracks--

Because a reader encountering material in the former is actually having a reaction (or not) to the material in front of them. Either they read that story at that time and felt, for example, that there was misogyny, or they didn't. You know what I mean? All readers had an equal context to react to and judge that work.

But to look at an issue of X-Men '92 on the shelf that you are going to buy or not buy (or, more importantly, for a retailer to look at an order form and order or not order) you have to actually be plugged in enough to be aware of Sims' history, and then have that knowledge that is outside of the work affect whether or not they support the work. You know what I mean?

I mean, I feel like I am at least somewhat plugged in to the world of comics, and I had never heard of Sims until maybe a month or two ago. He was just a name that popped up in solicits I had never heard of. And whatever it was he did, I only heard it referred to in the past tense, a thing that happened and I missed. A controversy that, as it involved a person who blogged and talked about comics rather than made them, was pretty inside baseball. You had to be deep enough into the world of comics blogging, maybe, to be aware of him.

That is not to lessen whatever that situation actually was. It sounds like it was pretty bad. Rather, I am using myself as an example to say that maybe for many, maybe most?, of the people who are in a position to order or buy X-Men '92, it is going to be about whether or not they want a comic that has that cover, and sounds good from the solicit. I think it will be more of a referendum on whether we have $5/issue worth of nostalgia for that era of X-Men rather than a referendum on Chris Sims.