Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Mihawk said:

I don't think you can make a good FF movie without the rest of the Marvel U. And I think to do a great Doctor Doom you also need the Marvel U.

I'm curious why you think so, as my favorite FF stories have nothing at all to do with the rest of the Marvel U.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited August 2015
    More so there big villains need the Universe to bring out there full potential. And without amazing villains the FF movies will always be subpar because they need there villains to be amazing.

I feel like imo there 3 biggest villains are the Skrulls, Galactus, Doom. And at least Galactus and Doom are world shaking kinda villains.

And Doom should never be some nerdy kid who gets his powers basically the same way he gets them in the other FF movie.

He needs to be that King/Dictator of Latveria magic meets science character. And I don't think you get that same effect if Latveria isn't in the U. And I feel like Latveria would fit perfectly in MS U.

And I can imagine Galactus being this looming presence in the actual Universe of Marvel. I know there's Thanos but Thanos is just guy but they could treat Galactus like his this force of nature.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I get your sentiment, but are you saying that Doom (and Galactus) need to appear (if only as cameos) in other Marvel films before making an appearance in a Marvel U FF film? Because I don't see the practicality or the necessity in that. Outside of Amazing Spider-Man #5, Dr. Doom made 10 appearances in FF before meeting the Marvel Universe at large five years after his creation. I would argue that Dr. Doom was already firmly established as Marvel’s greatest villain before he crossed swords with SHIELD and the Avengers in 1968. I think Doom works as well as he does because of his relationship/rivalry with Reed Richards, and having him cameo in other films before meeting the FF would make him a Marvel villain (or worse, an Avengers villain) more than an FF villain and would weaken that Doom/Richards dynamic, and make Doom less interesting.

Or are you saying that an FF film with those villains needs to have other heroes in it as well to show the world-wide effect of those villains? Again, in the case of Doom, I could see it down the line, but for a first appearance, I wouldn't want anything to distract from the Doom/Richards conflict. I believe that needs to be firmly established from the very start.

In the case of Galactus, the only way it would work for me is to have the Avengers charge Galactus and immediately get knocked out of the action so the FF can save the day completely on their own. And I don't see that happening, because would the studio waste several contracted appearances for something like that? No, all you need to do is start the film with five minutes of Galactus eating a planet to establish his threat level.

I don't really see the Skrulls as FF villains, per se. I know they first appeared there, but I think of them more as Avengers villains thanks to the Kree/Skrull War storyline. I'd much rather them use Annihilus or Psycho-Man or Puppet Master... or even Mole Man.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I just read three words that have pushed me not only off the fence, but all the way across the yard.

Phillip.

Glass.

Score.

Nope. Sorry. I will not see this movie. Even for free.
  • Options
    Going to see it tomorrow with my wife and 12 year old as one of his "last hurrahs" before school starts up again next week. Not expecting much. Hope to be pleasantly surprised though.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Take hope. Because look here, this reviewer says it's a great film, especially since there's no silly Stan Lee cameo in it, oh, and because millennials are awesome and old people suck

So, it would appear that not everyone's a 'hater' :)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Take hope. Because look here, this reviewer says it's a great film, especially since there's no silly Stan Lee cameo in it, oh, and because millennials are awesome and old people suck

So, it would appear that not everyone's a 'hater' :)

Yeah, those "silly" Stan Lee cameos always bring a movie down. Why would they ever want to pay an homage to him?!

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

I just read three words that have pushed me not only off the fence, but all the way across the yard.

Phillip.

Glass.

Score.

A reminder of how especially objective music can be--

I still doubt I will see it in the theater, but at least I just found a new something on Spotify to listen to while working today.
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Phillip.

Glass.

Score.

I still doubt I will see it in the theater, but at least I just found a new something on Spotify to listen to while working today.
    Clearly you are more sophisticated than I.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about Phillip Glass, but I give them some points for doing something different.

I think aside from parts of Winter Soldier, every comic-related soundtrack I've heard has been pretty interchangeable. If you played them for me, I doubt I could match them up with the correct film.

Okay, I suppose I could identify those weird rap moments in Amazing Spider-Man 2, but that's hardly a plus.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2015
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Phillip.

Glass.

Score.

I know you are joking, but I think when it comes to what moves us, or what we enjoy in music, there is no correlation between what we like, and how sophisticated or educated about it we are or aren't. Maybe when it comes to appreciating music, then knowledge or training comes into it. But I think when it simply comes to liking or not liking, it is as subjective and personal as our taste in food.

(And maybe I only believe that because I actually AM unsophisticated when it comes to music!)

Also, for what it is worth, the soundtrack seems to be a collaboration between Glass and Pete Anthony. And Spotify actually credits Anthony with all the tracks, so maybe he is in first position in the credits. But, so far, it actually sounds like a very conventional soundtrack, and not at all like some of Glass' other film scores. (Which may be a relief to others, but is a disappointment to me.)

But, also, yes. Yes, I am ;)
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I've seen some pretty blistering reviews already. I need to see this opening night before the opening weekend antipathy reaches a fever pitch. That approach worked for me with the Amazing Spider-Man 2.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about Phillip Glass, but I give them some points for doing something different.

I think aside from parts of Winter Soldier, every comic-related soundtrack I've heard has been pretty interchangeable. If you played them for me, I doubt I could match them up with the correct film.

Okay, I suppose I could identify those weird rap moments in Amazing Spider-Man 2, but that's hardly a plus.

I quite enjoyed the Ant-Man soundtrack. It actually had a theme I can recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_5NwVy8L5M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I just heard a spoiler about the movie. Viewers (not me) will find out where "it's clobberin' time" comes from. I don't think it'll be well received.

So, @WetRats be sure to pick up your ticket early!

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Phillip.

Glass.

Score.

I know you are joking, but I think when it comes to what moves us, or what we enjoy in music, there is no correlation between what we like, and how sophisticated or educated about it we are or aren't. Maybe when it comes to appreciating music, then knowledge or training comes into it. But I think when it simply comes to liking or not liking, it is as subjective and personal as our taste in food.

(And maybe I only believe that because I actually AM unsophisticated when it comes to music!)

Also, for what it is worth, the soundtrack seems to be a collaboration between Glass and Pete Anthony. And Spotify actually credits Anthony with all the tracks, so maybe he is in first position in the credits. But, so far, it actually sounds like a very conventional soundtrack, and not at all like some of Glass' other film scores. (Which may be a relief to others, but is a disappointment to me.)

But, also, yes. Yes, I am ;)
    <3
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    This is real? Looks like a spoof.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Going to see it tomorrow with my wife and 12 year old as one of his "last hurrahs" before school starts up again next week. Not expecting much. Hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

FWIW, be prepared for some surprising scenes of "blood spattering deaths" - nothing today's 12 year old can't handle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6xrf1PP30

Might this newest FF film one day become a cult classic?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My kids just had the Disney Channel on and they have a spot that runs between shows promoting the Fantastic Four movie. The cast plays a game where the viewer needs to figure out which one of them is telling a lie about the movie, blah, blah..

So apparently the movie bought time on the channel. Pretty odd considering the ongoing conflict between the studios.

I wasn't able to find an example of the longer piece but here is another spot running on Disney(not my video)

http://youtu.be/jV1Caw42wQI

• Options
    AxelBrass said:

This is real? Looks like a spoof.
    This was the Roger Corman version. I think it looks better than the latest version.

• Options
    I was discussing FF with someone at my FLCS, after the subject of Thing's lack of pants came up, she said her expectations for the film were "rock bottom."

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    For what I think they're trying to do, I guess Doom doesn't look too bad.

I just think these films keep overthinking the character. He's a James Bond villain crossed with Darth Vader. If you wish, you can throw some black magic in there, but it's not necessary.

I'll probably see this next week. Right now my biggest obstacle is my wife being freaked out by the theater shootings - Lafayette is only an hour away from us and we actually have friends who were planning to attend that showing but missed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Now up to 8% on rottentomatoes.com... oof.

UPDATE: Sorry, 7%

UPDATE: Now up to 10%!

UPDATE: Holding steady at 9%

++++++++++++++++++++++

Choice review quotes at the moment:

ROTTEN: "The primary lesson learned here is, never drink and drive the interdimensional teleporter. I'll go out on a limb and declare that a message of dubious value."

FRESH: "Has its flaws, but it's not the abysmal failure it's being made out to be."
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    CBR blasted it in their review
    Ultimately, "Fantastic Four" is a profound mess. It's not fun. It's not exciting. It's far from action-packed. And it's most certainly not fantastic.
    Ouch.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Ouch I was really hoping for a it wasn't going to be bad. I just wanted a good FF movie.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I just wanted a good FF movie.

One day. Hopefully.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    It shouldn't be too hard to make an FF movie. Dr. Doom threatens earth with new weapon in the name of Latvaria protection. FF duke it out with him after he threatens to kill all the UN members during his UN address. Add in some family drama and the fact that Reed and Doom have a back story.

Its like making a good Hulk movie. Have Hulk get chased by the army and fight a monster (the marvel Hulk movie was about as good as you could ask for, unless they make a live action Planet Hulk movie in 10 years).
  • Options
    I think the FF would make a better TV series than a film.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I feel like they're afraid people won't buy Doom as he's portrayed in the comics. Yet a villain like Loki, giant horns and all, went over amazingly well with audiences. Just get a good actor and embrace the Doctor Doom character for all that it is.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I feel like they're afraid people won't buy Doom as he's portrayed in the comics. Yet a villain like Loki, giant horns and all, went over amazingly well with audiences. Just get a good actor and embrace the Doctor Doom character for all that it is.

GOTG and Daredevil made it okay to have a code-name and a costume in the modern day.