Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @Chuck_Melville I can't help you with.

So a fly fishing reel i backed on kickstarter just funded. I'm buying a rod and some line, and that's it no new fishing stuff (other than lures/bait/flies) in 2016. My goal is to lose my "preferred" members card at basspro.

Also I plan to kick crack and herion and quit buying comics...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

So a fly fishing reel i backed on kickstarter...

Your life is... different than mine.

I say that without judgment. Just observation. I probably wouldn't know which end of a fishing rod to hold, not to mention where to find the reels of the future on kickstarter.

• Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Ugly or not, it was still a win. 1,000,000 strong in downtown Denver
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

So a fly fishing reel i backed on kickstarter just funded. I'm buying a rod and some line, and that's it no new fishing stuff (other than lures/bait/flies) in 2016. My goal is to lose my "preferred" members card at basspro.

I, on the other hand, think that's really cool. I didn't know that "reels of the future" were on kickstarter.
    Thank you. I going to check that out.
  • Options
    I come from a family of fishermen (particularly my grandfather and his brothers), so I understand it. I’ve fished for brim in creeks, I've surf fished, pier fished, and (more commonly) net fished in the canals of the North Carolina sounds. I've dug for clams and oysters. When I would spend nearly half the summer at our family’s beach cottage (which we shared with my grandparents), every supper except Sunday’s would consist of whatever we caught that day. But I don’t particularly care for it, and I haven't fished once since my grandfather died.

Seeing a blue fish bite the palm of my grandfather's hand when I was six or so made me very hesitant to handle live fish—it took forever for the bleeding to stop. Seeing him and my great-uncles pulling pinfish out of the nets, and breaking their spines before tossing them back into the water made me uncomfortable. And seeing them kill a skate that got caught up in the net made me downright angry. Plus I hated those days when low tide came early, and I’d be woken up at the crack of dawn when all I wanted to do was relax and enjoy my summer vacation.

It wasn't all bad, of course, and I have some fond memories of being out on the boat with my grandfather and uncles, but too often for me, fishing was more like work than a hobby.
  • Options
    That sounds like when my Dad would take me and my brothers bird hunting. We were his "dogs" and spent the day picking up spent shell casings & trying to find birds he had shot.
    Not fun at all.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2016
    aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

I, on the other hand, think that's really cool. I didn't know that "reels of the future" were on kickstarter.
    To be clear. I think it is cool, too. I just know it is one of those things I can appreciate, even though I know it will probably never be in my life, you know what I mean? I like those reminders that there are all sorts of things out there to be passionate about. Including those things I don't know the first thing about.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

The company is Taylor Reels. They've made 4 fly fishing reels now, all kickstartered. I would recommend the Array if you are interested.

The coolest fishing related item I've gotten on kickstarter was a fishing rod designed by Gary Loomis for his newest rod company. Gary is considered one of the most important fishing rod makers ever.
    I could never justify paying retail for the rod; I was able to get it at 50% off. It's the best rod I will ever own.
  • Options

Seeing a blue fish bite the palm of my grandfather's hand when I was six or so made me very hesitant to handle live fish—it took forever for the bleeding to stop. Seeing him and my great-uncles pulling pinfish out of the nets, and breaking their spines before tossing them back into the water made me uncomfortable. And seeing them kill a skate that got caught up in the net made me downright angry. Plus I hated those days when low tide came early, and I’d be woken up at the crack of dawn when all I wanted to do was relax and enjoy my summer vacation.

I think it was generational thing. I hear similar stories about my great grandfather from Dad. They had a completely different mindset about nature that I don't understand. Fortunately it's mostly gone in the US.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've lived all but five years of my life in N Minnesota. Fishing is pretty much what you do on the weekends in the summer. Fly fishing, however, is something I just haven't tried. I know my dad has and he has some of the equipment. It looks graceful. A lot better than just sitting in a boat or on the edge of the dock with your line in the water.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I've lived all but five years of my life in N Minnesota. Fishing is pretty much what you do on the weekends in the summer. Fly fishing, however, is something I just haven't tried. I know my dad has and he has some of the equipment. It looks graceful. A lot better than just sitting in a boat or on the edge of the dock with your line in the water.

My brother and I are just starting to learn to cast. It's been a little trial and error and lots of research (Orvis has some very helpful guide books you can get digitally, also you can get some helpful DVDs at basspro). We don't really have a vibrant fly fishing community here, so it's been basically us. We have one goal, catch a king mackerel on a fly reel.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

My brother and I are just starting to learn to cast. It's been a little trial and error and lots of research (Orvis has some very helpful guide books you can get digitally, also you can get some helpful DVDs at basspro). We don't really have a vibrant fly fishing community here, so it's been basically us. We have one goal, catch a king mackerel on a fly reel.
    Funny story. I just happened to be at a small "stocker" pond trying to learn to cast when a group of guys wearing waders and carrying fly rods came over the hill. Turns out a fly fishing class was using the pond. It was one of those beautifully clear and calm mountain days and I could hear everything they talked about from the opposite end of the pond. Best class I didn't pay for.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I think it was generational thing. I hear similar stories about my great grandfather from Dad. They had a completely different mindset about nature that I don't understand. Fortunately it's mostly gone in the US.
    My grandfather was the head of our county’s agricultural extension agency, and one of my great uncles was a farmer and also had three turkey houses. They all grew up on a farm, so they had a very practical approach to those kinds of things.

But fishing for them was more like a friendly competition to see who could bring home the biggest catch and tell the biggest lie about it. And that was the fun part about it for me. They loved to tell fish tales and laugh. But usually it was just me and my grandfather, sometimes with my younger brother. My grandfather was the most serious of the bunch, so when it was just us it was a little more “let's get down to business,” and we'd stay out until we caught enough for dinner.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My father fly-fished. Not sure I ever recall him catching anything but it did look really graceful when he did it.

I *tried* to get into fishing but I really. REALLY. stunk at it. My entire list of catches are as follows: Sunfish (1), Bluegill (2), Bass (so small we had to throw it back), and a trout from a stock pond where we didn't have to bait the hook to get a nibble, so I really don't count it. :)

I enjoyed the time with my pop out on the lake, even the time I broke a shearpin on the engine the ONE time he let me drive. The one nice thing was our bait shop sold comics. :)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Any word on if www.thecomicforums.com is going to return? I wonder how many of the forum faithful are assuming the worst and not aware of the alternate universe that is this url?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm not even on Facebook but I knew enough to find the CGS page to see what was up with the forums.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm not even on Facebook but I knew enough to find the CGS page to see what was up with the forums.

But you're clever, @Mr_Cosmic
  • Options

Also in the missing category: @Chuck_Melville

I'm still around, just haven't had as much time to check in of late. RL has been keeping me busy offline.
  • Options

I'm still around, just haven't had as much time to check in of late. RL has been keeping me busy offline.

Glad you're still around Chuck! Don't be a stranger.
  • Options

So, much like Mark Twain, the rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated. :-)

• Options
    The webcomic Our Valued Customer is ending in 47 strips. I love OVC.
  • Options
    I've had NBA League Pass for 3 seasons now. This is the first time I feel like I've wasted my money. I think I've watched 3 games all season; which is crazy.

I should be watching a lot more games; i've sucessfully brainwashed my daughter into watching basketball ( or Uncle Nate's ball as she calls it). Basketball is one of 3 things she will sit still and watch (Mickey Mouse and saltwater fishing are the other 2). It's also the only thing I let her watch regularly.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

The webcomic Our Valued Customer is ending in 47 strips. I love OVC.

I follow it on Tumblr. It brings back so many memories of working in a comic shop.
  • Options
    I get monthly emails from Fathom events (a group that broadcasts NY Met Opera performances, special movies, TCM events, Rifftrax, etc... to local theaters).

This month's update "An Evening with Neil Young presented by the AARP". Boy has his demographic changed.
  • Options
    I get monthly emails from Fathom events (a group that broadcasts NY Met Opera performances, special movies, TCM events, Rifftrax, etc... to local theaters).

This month's update "An Evening with Neil Young presented by the AARP". Boy has his demographic changed.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

“Old Man,” indeed.

Still, the second-best concert I've attended was Social Distortion, Sonic Youth, and Neil Young with Crazy Horse.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Feeling old, how about realizing that this song is now 20 YEARS OLD!!!
  • Options

Feeling old, how about realizing that this song is now 20 YEARS OLD!!!

I can honestly say I've never heard a single Spice Girls song from start to finish, and I'm not about to start now.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Last year I got challenged by my girlfriend to read 101 books in the year. I did it. So this year she laid down a new challenge. I have to read 365 comics in the year. I have so far read 83 and posted a short review of each one.

Click here to see all 83 reviews
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    dubbat138 said:

Last year I got challenged by my girlfriend to read 101 books in the year. I did it. So this year she laid down a new challenge. I have to read 365 comics in the year. I have so far read 83 and posted a short review of each one.

Click here to see all 83 reviews

I think that's too easy. A comic book a day is easily doable. I'd challenge you to read 1000 in a year. Nearly 3 a day. That's a real challenge.