Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

I won't be able to get one the water for at least a month, but Im getting ready.

I'm trying braided line on one of my reels again; I learned a new way to catch bait fish using an artificial bait (going to try). Bought some new saltwater lures.

My two goals for the spring/summer: 1) catch a redfish. 2) catch a king mackerel while fly fishing.

Nice! My goals are to fix a small leak I have in the crotch of my neoprene wadders (mountain water is really cold), and to catch a brown trout using a fly.
    My goal is to eat a king mackerel and a brown trout, grilled and fried respectively—at the same time! Live big, I say.
    On sandwiches with a nice crispy piece of lettuce, a tomato slice, and either good hot sauce ( for the fried portion) or a fresh squeezed lemon (for the grilled)
    No sandwiches for me. A nice helping of cole slaw and some marinated cucumber, tomato, and onion salad on the side, with some fried cornbread.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
  • Options
    Swiss Army Man looks like it could be a really cool film.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    That might have been the best NCAA championship game. Sports, tv's best reality show.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

No problem. The name's Eric, though.
    There's only enough room around here for one guy named Alan (who spells it properly! :) )
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

There's only enough room around here for one guy named Alan (who spells it properly! :) )
    It's going to get weird when Alan Moore finally starts posting.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    David_D said:

Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

I wonder if he will get mad if we "quote" his posts without his permission?
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

David_D said:

Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

It won't matter, he'll still reject any royalties we offer.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2016

David_D said:

Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

I think he will be okay so long as we quote him *exactly*. Rather than change his posts, but still keep his name on them ;)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

Tell'em Bama
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2016
    My wife had never heard of the Dobie Gillis TV show...which, after telling her about it, lead me down a rabbit hole of information about it. One tidbit that struck me was that not only did DC publish a Dobie Gillis comic series but it also reprinted the whole thing four issues, with updated art and lettering, as Windy and Willy.

Now, I've heard of taking a cover and using it as a splash page or reusing an issue of a comic as something else..but an entire series? It seems uncommon..but maybe not?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Now, I've heard of taking a cover and using it as a splash page or reusing an issue of a comic as something else..but an entire series? It seems uncommon..but maybe not?

Well, it didn't reprint the entire Dobie Gillis series. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis ran for 26 issues, all drawn by the great Bob Oksner, while Windy and Willy only went four issues—five if you count their first appearance in Showcase #81, which was an updated reprint of Dobie Gillis #26. I think DC saw this as a cheap way to test an Archie-esque book. And at least they hired Oksner to do (most) of the updates.

But I do know of another case of this type of thing happening. The 1955 series Vooda, which only ran for three issues, reprinted “Alani, South Sea Girl” stories from Seven Seas Comics, where they also relettered the stories and retouched the art and the look of the main character, including one story drawn by Matt Baker.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Mr_Cosmic said:

Well, it didn't reprint the entire Dobie Gillis series. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis ran for 26 issues, all drawn by the great Bob Oksner, while Windy and Willy only went four issues—five if you count their first appearance in Showcase #81, which was an updated reprint of Dobie Gillis #26. I think DC saw this as a cheap way to test an Archie-esque book. And at least they hired Oksner to do (most) of the updates.

But I do know of another case of this type of thing happening. The 1955 series Vooda, which only ran for three issues, reprinted “Alani, South Sea Girl” stories from Seven Seas Comics, where they also relettered the stories and retouched the art and the look of the main character, including one story drawn by Matt Baker.
    Ah, you've enlightened us again! I was under the impression that Windy and Willy was an issue by issue reprint of the entire Dobie Gillis comic. Still, even at only four issues, I find it interesting that they decided to go this route. Like you said, I'm sure it was just an easy way to put out a cheap test comic. I didn't know they brought back the original artist either, good stuff.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I didn't know they brought back the original artist either, good stuff.

Yep, and they paid him to do new covers for the books too, though as you showed, he just recycled his original gags from his Dobie Gillis covers. And I think if the series had caught on, they would have quickly switched to original stories.
  • Options
    The wife and I were looking for a movie to go see Saturday night. I had heard nothing about Hardcore Henry before watching this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sca9U6IlAns

I think that looks like so. much. fun!

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I looks great, I tried to show it to my wife and she couldn't take the whole thing. Too much action(???)
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The wife and I were looking for a movie to go see Saturday night. I had heard nothing about Hardcore Henry before watching this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sca9U6IlAns

I think that looks like so. much. fun!

So basically a movie made for fans of first-person shooter video games. Of which I am not one.

The movie itself does look like it could be fun even for those who don't play those games, but for me I think it would get disorienting and tiresome very quickly.
  • Options
    Yup, my wife let me pick the movie this time...probably never again.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    It looks like fun, but I think it'll be just as much fun on my tv screen at home. As someone else mentioned, it's a FPS brought to the screen. I'm down with that, I just don't know that I'm down with it on the big screen.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Too much action(???)

The problem I have with it, and I think this is probably a fairly common thing, is that the camera eye does not move like the human eye. The camera can't replicate the depth perception or the periphery vision or the smoothness of focal adjustment of the human eye, and so it feels herky-jerky (too put it in technical terms. :smiley: ) and can sometimes give me mild motion sickness.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I do play a lot of FPS online with friends so that is probably influencing my reaction quite a bit. Although one of my friends, who I sent this trailer to, wrote back and said these types of movies make him motion sick...but, again, he plays FPS all the time, lol.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Although, one of my friends who I sent this trailer to, wrote back and said these types of movies make him motion sick...but, again, he plays FPS all the time, lol.

Maybe having control in a FPS versus being at the camera's mercy in a film is the difference.
  • Options
    Yeah can't say I have much interest in this. Like the found footage genre this seems more like a gimmick to tell a story.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Yeah can't say I have much interest in this. Like the found footage genre this seems more like a gimmick to tell a story.

I'm all about storytelling gimmicks if they serve a purpose and make you see the story in a different way than you otherwise might. I don't know if that's the case here, though.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Looks more fun than BvS...
  • Options

Yup, I actually haven't seen BvS yet but I'm still choosing to see this intead.
  • Options
    The People vs OJ Simpson had no right being as good as it was.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Yup, I actually haven't seen BvS yet but I'm still choosing to see this intead.
    The wife got cold feet and refused to see it. We went to BvS instead :(
  • Options
    The allegations that Disney paid off film critics to give BvS bad reviews is one of the dumbest things I've heard.