Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited July 2016
    Enjoying the hell out of "Stranger Things", a new Netflix-exclusive series that's an amazing pastiche/tribute to 1980's sci-fi & horror films and other pop-cultural flotsam and jetsam. They even nailed the credits fonts and synth-heavy background music! Yeah, some of the nods to Spielberg and Carpenter get a little heavy handed, but hey.....a series that mentions X-Men #134 TWICE in the first episode is definitely worth a geek's attention....especially those of us who actually experienced the early 80's!
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I just finished Daredevil: Season 2 this past weekend. I didn't quite enjoyed it as much as the first season but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Matt Murdock came off a bit more unlikable to me this season. Elektra bored me. Jon Bernthal's performance as Frank 'Punisher' Castle was all kinds of awesome. Him and Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page gave the best performances of the season. Still loving Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson. I just can't get enough of Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple. Definitely looking forward to next season. It looks to be headed to the classic Born Again storyline next season.

Next - finishing up Bloodline. This season is pretty awesome. What an f**ked up family!
  • Options

DAR said:

I've been watching some Star Trek movies on Amazon.

The Motion Picture-The Jerry Goldsmith score is great and the visuals are pretty nifty. But other than that this a pretty boring film.

Wrath of Khan-The best film in the series bar none

I saw The Motion Picture again on regular tv a couple of weeks ago. It was edited down to 2 hrs (take away away 30-40 mins of that for commercials) and at that length it is not so bad. The full 2 hour + version is a tough watch.
    I own but haven't watched my DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition). Billed as more than simply a "director's cut," this new edition features enhanced, and in some cases completely redone, special effects as well as (for a change of pace) cuts to tighten the dawdling story. I saw the original in the theaters, but can't recall watching it since.

Which one is the 'preferred' viewing?

Whichever one is shortest :smile:

I have not seen the directors cut with new effects but if it is as good as the enhanced effects version of the original series, than that would be the way to go.
    ST:TMP is boring, stiff and without a doubt the most gorgeous of the Star Trek movies. I also have not seen the directors cut, but my understanding is that it is more complete but not really better. It's tough because it feels like a copy of a better episode, except with leisure suits but the effects work and cinematography is just amazing. I'd almost rather watch it on mute and make up my own plot.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    fredzilla said:

Also, I've been watching Stranger Things on Netflix and it has been the biggest surprise of the summer. Every review that says its like 80s Steven Speilberg meets 80s Stephen King nails it.

I just watched the first episode while I worked out this morning and it was really good. I agree with the description. I'm debating whether or not it would be something my wife would like to see. If so, I'll have to wait to watch the rest of it so we can watch it together. Definitely fun, though.
    Just started watching this too. Totally agree with you guys. Love it.
  • Options
    I was catching up on the second season of Bloodline. Two more episodes to go. Just like last season, I think some serious crap is going to go down within the last two episodes.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Finally started Stranger Things and it's pretty awesome.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I finished Stranger Things late last week and the whole thing was very satisfying. Which--IMO--is something few stories seem to do now days. Great series.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2016
    Started Stranger Things as well. We got the first two episodes in and are looking forward to more. I thought it is off to an excellent start. Great to see David Harbour (he plays the police chief) in a role like this-- I know his work going back to his theater days, and I always find him very watchable, though on camera he often plays either less sympathetic or less substantial characters. (Though he is great at those roles, too.)

I also love the way they clearly love and understand the '80s tropes they are weaving this story out of, but so far, it isn't just winking or making references. It feels natural, and grounded, and coming from a place of really understanding the things they are referencing. It's like Fables for '80s tropes. Good stuff.

PS- They got Fireball wrong. You don't roll for it in that edition. It always hits, the monster might save for half damage, though. But I forgive them for that. Dropping the specific X-Men issue number made up for it.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited July 2016
    "PS- They got Fireball wrong....But I forgive them for that."
    Same thing with using The Bangels' "Hazy Shade of Winter" as background music in episode 1 (that song wouldn't be released until 1985), but they've gotten so much else right, I've blown it off. It definitely fit the emotional mood of the scene it was accompanying, so I'm sure the Duffer Bros. decided to roll with it.

What I appreciate most about the Duffers' sensibilities is that they understand the early 80's was very different from the late 80's, and not just one monolithic, lazy "80's smorgasborg" (like so many lesser productions muster up).

I just finished episode six and can't wait to get through the remaining two!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

"PS- They got Fireball wrong....But I forgive them for that."
    Same thing with using The Bangels' "Hazy Shade of Winter" as background music in episode 1 (that song wouldn't be released until 1985), but they've gotten so much else right, I've blown it off. It definitely fit the emotional mood of the scene it was accompanying, so I'm sure the Duffer Bros. decided to roll with it.

What I appreciate most about the Duffers' sensibilities is that they understand the early 80's was very different from the late 80's, and not just one monolithic, lazy "80's smorgasborg" (like so many lesser productions muster up).

I just finished episode six and can't wait to get through the remaining two!

I agree. I love that they really feel zoomed in on the role they are playing in, specifically, without making it a wash of the '80s in general.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Off topic, anyone else notice that the quote coding seems off lately in the forums? Anyone know why?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Just finished Justified season 6...
    FX kills finales
  • Options
    Stranger Things - I finished it last night and overall I really enjoyed the series. I felt the last two episodes weren't as good as the first six but they certainly weren't terrible.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Put me in the Stranger Things is pretty great category. If anything those opening titles are worth it
  • Options
    I enjoyed the whole thing. This show wasn't on my radar and I'm glad I heard of it from these forums. Very fun show.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    This came out on iTunes today (8/12).
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

This came out on iTunes today (8/12).

I started watching this tomorrow. Watched the first 3 episodes. LOVE IT! It's such a great homage to 80s genre films.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Ok this is a bit of a cheat since you have to rent it, but Sing Street might be my favorite movie this year.
  • Options
    If you have any interest in a moderately historically accurate depiction of the birth of rap/hip hop music, with a hefty dose of fictionalization, you MUST see 'The Get Down' on Netflix.

If you have NO interest in rap/hip hop... it's still a damn good mini-series, with Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet) at the helm.
  • Options
    I recently began watching "Person of Interest." My wife and I really enjoy it. We're a few episodes into season 2. It's a smart action thriller. Very well done. Worth your time.
  • Options
    Variety reports that Stranger Things has been renewed for a second season on Netflix.

https://youtu.be/aXWG_kKDZlY
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2016
    Finished a few shows.

Jessica Jones Season 1 - I liked it

Daredevil season 1 - it was ok, the middle 4 episodes were just slow

Last Chance U - this hit almost all of my sweet spots. First its about a community college, then it's like a poor redneck version of The U. I'll get to stranger things, but I loved this show.
  • Options
    I listened to this the HHWLOD podcast where they've been doing these special Star Trek related special episodes, taking one series at a time. They've just finished my favorite, DS9, including a Top 5 favorite episode list. It's actually made me go and check out some of the DS9 episodes on Netflix, particularly from seasons 6 and 7; the Dominion War episodes. I will love that show forever. I just wish it was shown in 1080p, or at least 720p, rather than 420. I guess that won't happen until that glorious day when DS9 is released on Blu-Ray.
  • Options
    Dman said:

I listened to this the HHWLOD podcast where they've been doing these special Star Trek related special episodes, taking one series at a time. They've just finished my favorite, DS9, including a Top 5 favorite episode list. It's actually made me go and check out some of the DS9 episodes on Netflix, particularly from seasons 6 and 7; the Dominion War episodes. I will love that show forever. I just wish it was shown in 1080p, or at least 720p, rather than 420. I guess that won't happen until that glorious day when DS9 is released on Blu-Ray.

I'm watching DS9 now on streaming. It's the last show I need to watch to completion before Discovery starts. I'm having a very trek year.
  • Options
    Just about done with "Boardwalk Empire"...which, in my opinion, is second only to "Breaking Bad" as one of the greatest achievements in TV drama. I can't recommend it enough (the first four seasons are free on Amazon Prime, the final fifth season is a few bucks an episode).
  • Options

Dman said:

I'm watching DS9 now on streaming. It's the last show I need to watch to completion before Discovery starts. I'm having a very trek year.
    Have you subscribed to the CBS all access yet? I hear that even though it is a pay service that it still has commercials...? True?
  • Options

Dman said:

Have you subscribed to the CBS all access yet? I hear that even though it is a pay service that it still has commercials...? True?
    I want to stream Discovery but I am NOT paying for another service...especially for only one show. I'm guessing it will nake it's way to Blu-ray and I'll watch it that way.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Dman said:

I want to stream Discovery but I am NOT paying for another service...especially for only one show. I'm guessing it will nake it's way to Blu-ray and I'll watch it that way.
    Looks like the $5.99 service of CBS All Access still has commercials, and the option to get rid of commercials is $9.99 a month. That's what I pay for (commercial-free) Netflix. How on earth does CBS hope to compete?

CBS admits even the "ad-free" service still has local commercials.
    A CBS rep said the “ad-free” version of All Access does not strip out the commercials in the local TV feeds because those cannot be technically removed from the live streams. It’s also likely that CBS’s agreements with affiliates preclude it from doing so anyway.

So in addition to Star Trek Discovery (STD!) CBS All Access has full current seasons of “Big Brother,” “Blue Bloods,” “Madam Secretary” and “The Odd Couple,” as well as late-night, daytime and news programming. Other original series on the service will soon include a spinoff of “The Good Wife” and a new digital edition of “Big Brother.”

No thanks. Anyone know when STD is scheduled to be on Hulu or Netflix?
  • Options
    Finally watched S1E1 of Supergirl(it's on Netflix!) and I really enjoyed it. Now they just need to get season 2 of the Flash on there and I'll be a happy man.
  • Options
    Longmire Season 5 is coming Friday September 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4OPbDIpwc