Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited January 2013
    West Wing with the wife. Life with my father.
  • Options
    All thumbs up for West Wing!
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    I stream plus 2 DVDs. On the streaming I'm currently watching Alias, Avatar, Breaking Bad, Parks and Recreation, Twin Peaks, and the West Wing. Lately the 2 DVDs have been Deadwood (which I just finished) and Young Justice (Season 1, just 2 episodes to go). I've found plenty to watch on the streaming although I wish they had HBO shows.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Kilmarock said:

I stream plus 2 DVDs. On the streaming I'm currently watching Alias, Avatar, Breaking Bad, Parks and Recreation, Twin Peaks, and the West Wing. Lately the 2 DVDs have been Deadwood (which I just finished) and Young Justice (Season 1, just 2 episodes to go). I've found plenty to watch on the streaming although I wish they had HBO shows.

Yeah there is a handful of HBO shows I like. So I just end up buying the dvds.
  • Options
    My wife watched the hell out of a series called The Secret Circle about witches in Washington state. Based on the same novelist who wrote the Vampire diaries. She loves it but sadly finds out that it was cancelled after one season. High school kids with witch problems who drink and sleep around with each other while being hunted by demons or witch hunters and then going to the dance or fund raiser.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Has anyone tried Vudu? I believe it's tied in with Walmart. I had some free credits with them, tried it the other night, couldn't get it to stream for more than ten seconds, at which point it would buffer then sometimes start from the beginning. A quick Google search tells me this is a common problem. Roku's solution is to move your router into the same room as your Roku box, which doesn't sound like much of a solution to me.

I was also disappointed to learn that Amazon stopped their monthly subscription to Prime, opting to stick with a set annual fee. I actually sat down to sign up and give them a try this weekend, only to find that out. I really don't want to spend that kind of money up front without the option of backing out if I don't like it. They seem to be offering more and more things that aren't available on Netflix, though.
  • Options

My wife watched the hell out of a series called The Secret Circle about witches in Washington state. Based on the same novelist who wrote the Vampire diaries. She loves it but sadly finds out that it was cancelled after one season. High school kids with witch problems who drink and sleep around with each other while being hunted by demons or witch hunters and then going to the dance or fund raiser.

Chiller has been rerunning "The Secret Circle" a bunch recently. The few episodes I caught were pretty good.

@chrisw

I tried both Vudu and Ultraviolet at my cousin's house and didn't like either of them.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I just caught an episode of Adventure Time. I'm not sure if I quite got it.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    DAR, start from season one if you can. I love Adventure Time, I watch it with the kids all the time and get the comic. Give it some time.
  • Options
    I will, thanks.

I finished the last three episodes of Last Resort. I'm sorry it ended I really liked it
  • Options
    DAR said:

I will, thanks.

I finished the last three episodes of Last Resort. I'm sorry it ended I really liked it

I watched the first episode and got a feeling when it was over the show wouldn't last. I did record every episode and next time my girl comes down to visit we plan on watching the entire season.

• Options
    Just finished Eastbound and Down season 3 and I really hope someone does at my funeral what Kenny Powers did at his friends.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Greg said:

DAR, start from season one if you can. I love Adventure Time, I watch it with the kids all the time and get the comic. Give it some time.

Agreed. I thought it was really weird when I'd sit down and see a random episode, but after getting the first season set from the library and watching a lot of them in a row from the beginning, it grew on me (especially as I started to piece together the story of their world based on the clues they'd sprinkle into the episodes... for such a lighthearted show, it gets surprisingly dark!).

Of course, it's SUPER frustrating that the show is on its 5th season and they've released exactly ONE full season set (razzafrazza "random collections of episodes" DVD strategy). But they're all available through iTunes and Amazon, at least.
  • Options
    Finished season 3 of Sons of Anarchy good season but not as good as 1 and 2. Will start season 4 shortly.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I thought season 4 was the best thus far.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited January 2013
    DAR said:

I just caught an episode of Adventure Time. I'm not sure if I quite got it.

My kids and I love Adventure Time (me 46 yr old, son 11 yr old, daughter 12 yr old), and my wife gets the biggest kick out of Lumpy Space Princess.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    We are wrapping up Season 5 of Doctor Who. So far, we think it has gotten better each season. Matt Smith has quickly become our family's favorite Doctor. My wife loves Amy Pond because she thinks our daughter resembles a young Karen Gillan.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Finished season 3 of Sons of Anarchy good season but not as good as 1 and 2. Will start season 4 shortly.

I have to be honest, I am still watching the show, but after the first two seasons, it REALLY feels like they don't know how to wrap up a story. The last two season finales feel as if they were int he writer's room and said, "Crap! I've got no IDEA how to get them out of this...anyone got the worst idea available? We'll go with that!"

I watched the series "Code Monkeys" which was a decent idea for a show, but probably would have worked better as a webstrip...which I realize is a very weird thing to say. Netflix offered free DVD mailing for a month, and since I am still doing overnights with out 3 - 5 hours a night of down time, I said sure and am loading up on indie movies that won't come to cable, documentaries and spaghetti westerns. I may actually bite the bullet and got for the Ken Burns documentaries, since my co-worker is into history as well.

Or, I'll just keep getting obscure stuff and watch them on my laptop,

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481

DAR said:

I have to be honest, I am still watching the show, but after the first two seasons, it REALLY feels like they don't know how to wrap up a story. The last two season finales feel as if they were int he writer's room and said, "Crap! I've got no IDEA how to get them out of this...anyone got the worst idea available? We'll go with that!"
    I agree that the 2nd season is the strongest, but there's a lot of good stuff in s3 -s5. I thought s3 was uneven, but had a really good finale. s4 was a bit better, but had a bad finale. s5 started off really slowly, but then got a lot better and had a very satisfying finale.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Reminder: David Fincher's House of Cards, starring Kevin Spacey comes out tomorrow on Netflix - all 13 eps. I'm psyched for that!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    I just finished watching last night's Justified. Love this show.

And I'm interested in the American's
  • Options
    DAR said:

I just finished watching last night's Justified. Love this show.

And I'm interested in the American's

totally agree on Justified, @DAR - its the best show out there that manyh people don't watch.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the premiere of the Americans and liked it quite a bit (then my wife fell asleep, so hope to finish it tomorrow night! lol)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited February 2013
    Looks like we're going to get a huge influx of Warner/Turner/Cartoon Network cartoons on Netflix in March:
    WSJ: Netflix Adds Turner and Warner Cartoons

By DEBBIE CAI

Netflix Inc. NFLX -1.47% signed deals with two Time Warner Inc. TWX +0.76% units to license a range of cartoons and other programming for its online video-streaming service.

Under the agreement, Netflix will carry the complete past seasons of Turner Broadcasting System Inc.'s Cartoon Network shows such as "Adventure Time," "Ben 10," "Regular Show," and "Johnny Bravo." The deal also would make Warner Bros. Animation's "Green Lantern" available on the Just for Kids section of the subscription service. The programming will become available in March.

Netflix also will carry Cartoon Network's Adult Swim shows, such as "Robot Chicken," "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," "The Boondocks" and "Childrens Hospital."

Next January, Netflix will exclusively carry season one and two of the Warner Horizon Television-produced TNT series "Dallas."

Last week, the company said subscribers would gain access to serialized dramas produced by Warner Bros. Television Group under a new licensing agreement. Among the shows coming to Netflix next year will be "Revolution," a drama set in a post-apocalyptic America; "Political Animals," the USA Network miniseries in which Sigourney Weaver plays a former first lady serving as secretary of state; and "Longmire," A&E's Western mystery series based on the novels by Craig Johnson.

Netflix is fighting a raft of competition in its core U.S. streaming service from online video sites, cable television and other streaming services, notably Amazon.com Inc., AMZN -2.66% which has been expanding its offerings as part of its $79 Prime membership.

In October, the company reported an 88% drop in third-quarter net income and lowered its expectations for subscriber additions.
    I've been just about at the point where I was willing to start paying for Adventure Time, Young Justice, and other shows on Amazon since I don't have cable anymore. Now I just have to wait until March!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    March seems so far away now.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Chiller has been rerunning "The Secret Circle" a bunch recently. The few episodes I caught were pretty good.

Chiller seems like such a good idea for a network, all horror progamming, but during the brief time I had it as part of my DirecTV package, it seemed to be nothing but Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns, reality shows, and the occasional direct-to-video horror film. Out of curiosity I took a look at their current schedule online, and see it's pretty much the same, with Saturday literally being devoted entirely to Secret Circle. Another network whose concept would seem to be a no-brainer, yet doesn't get it right. Nothing against any of those shows, but I'm just baffled as to why some of these networks exist, or even how they continue to exist.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

Chiller seems like such a good idea for a network, all horror progamming, but during the brief time I had it as part of my DirecTV package, it seemed to be nothing but Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns, reality shows, and the occasional direct-to-video horror film. Out of curiosity I took a look at their current schedule online, and see it's pretty much the same, with Saturday literally being devoted entirely to Secret Circle. Another network whose concept would seem to be a no-brainer, yet doesn't get it right. Nothing against any of those shows, but I'm just baffled as to why some of these networks exist, or even how they continue to exist.
    Both Chiller and Cloo are, quite simply, a way to monetize the back stock of Universal. The things on both networks are series and movies that have run their course on other networks and would otherwise just be sitting in storage. With these networks, Universal can run the movies and such, get a slight carrier fee (probably 10 - 25 cents a subscriber) and any ads they sell are pure profit. The content costs nothing, it's all digitized so all they need to do is have about 10 - 15 people who work on other networks to schedule, do the engineering and ad sales.

It's like VH1 Classic...they own all of the content, so that costs nothing to rerun it and every ad sold is pure profit.

I think networks like THESE are the future of cable...not that they will be the BIG channels, but they will become profit centers for media companies with no outlay.
  • Options
    Greg said:

March seems so far away now.

i know........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UM249-WfP4
  • Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

I have been watching the early morning Buffy reruns on Chiller for months now. Sure I have seen every episode at least 4 times before. But at 4am there really isn't much else on. Plus I love their marathons of Monsters,80s Twilight zone and Friday the 13th the series. I get around 400 channels. And most of the time my tv is on The Hub,Chiller or Epix Drive In Channel.
  • Options

chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

Both Chiller and Cloo are, quite simply, a way to monetize the back stock of Universal. The things on both networks are series and movies that have run their course on other networks and would otherwise just be sitting in storage. With these networks, Universal can run the movies and such, get a slight carrier fee (probably 10 - 25 cents a subscriber) and any ads they sell are pure profit. The content costs nothing, it's all digitized so all they need to do is have about 10 - 15 people who work on other networks to schedule, do the engineering and ad sales.

It's like VH1 Classic...they own all of the content, so that costs nothing to rerun it and every ad sold is pure profit.

I think networks like THESE are the future of cable...not that they will be the BIG channels, but they will become profit centers for media companies with no outlay.
    I figured it was something like that.

But if it's Universal, wouldn't they have access to all those classic films from the 30s, 40s, & 50s?

Or am I just living in a dreamland, where old black and white movies would get better ratings than direct to video films in color, or reruns of TV shows? Probably...
  • Options
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

I figured it was something like that.

But if it's Universal, wouldn't they have access to all those classic films from the 30s, 40s, & 50s?

Or am I just living in a dreamland, where old black and white movies would get better ratings than direct to video films in color, or reruns of TV shows? Probably...
    They do, but they probably get a bit more money licensing them to TCM.