Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Walking Dead Season 3 AMC Thread

mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
The zombies & survivors comes back Sunday at 8pm CST.

Prison just got more terrifying.

Matthew

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Damn you Dish Network. Dropping AMC cause "It doesn't draw good ratings." Which is total crap. I will have to watch The Walking Dead season 3 through other means.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2012
    dubbat138 said:

Damn you Dish Network. Dropping AMC cause "It doesn't draw good ratings." Which is total crap. I will have to watch The Walking Dead season 3 through other means.

I thought I heard that AMC was going to stream the show for Dish Network subscribers on AMC's website. You should look into that. For me, I don't have cable and I've been purchasing it on iTunes. I'm so stoked for this season!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

dubbat138 said:

I thought I heard that AMC was going to stream the show for Dish Network subscribers on AMC's website. You should look into that. For me, I don't have cable and I've been purchasing it on iTunes. I'm so stoked for this season!

They are only streaming the first episode. But there is two problems. First off I have a low monthly cap on my internet. So I don't stream anything over 15 minutes. Plus both my parents watch the show and they are not gonna sit huddled around my 25 inch monitor to watch it. So I will be acquiring it from my buddy Brian Torrens. I already know when the blu ray season 3 set comes out next year I will be buying it.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited October 2012
    Despite not being aired on Dish Network, the 3rd season premiere brought in 10.9 million viewers, making it the most watched drama telecast in the history of basic cable. It had a 5.6 in the A18-49 demo. That makes it the highest rated show on TV, network TV included (excluding Monday Night Football).

It's unheard of for a cable show to have a higher demo rating than a show on network TV. The highest rated show of the season was the season premiere of Modern Family with a 5.5.

Last night, The Walking Dead had more viewers than The Amazing Race (9.4M), The Good Wife (9M), Once Upon a Time (9.1M), Revenge (8.2M) and The Mentalist (10.6M).

Including encore broadcasts, The Walking Dead had 15.2 million viewers for the night.

The show keeps topping itself. The season 2 premiere took the record as the most watched episode of a drama in basic cable history. Then the midseason premiere beat that record. That was followed by the season finale, which also beat it. Now the season 3 premiere has come along and broken that same record for a 4th time.

Here's a rundown of the series' numbers.

Season 1 Premiere: 5.35 million
    Season 1 Finale: 5.97 million
    Season 2 Premiere: 7.26 million
    Season 2.5 Premiere: 8.1 million
    Season 2 Finale: 8.99 million
    Season 3 Premiere: 10.9 million

It's crazy that AMC was dropped by the second largest satellite provider, but it didn't lose any numbers. Not only that, it gained 2 million viewers.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Zombies & human drama trump logic.

It is that simple.

Matthew
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Despite not being aired on Dish Network, the 3rd season premiere brought in 10.9 million viewers, making it the most watched drama telecast in the history of basic cable. It had a 5.6 in the A18-49 demo. That makes it the highest rated show on TV, network TV included (excluding Monday Night Football).

It's unheard of for a cable show to have a higher demo rating than a show on network TV. The highest rated show of the season was the season premiere of Modern Family with a 5.5.

Last night, The Walking Dead had more viewers than The Amazing Race (9.4M), The Good Wife (9M), Once Upon a Time (9.1M), Revenge (8.2M) and The Mentalist (10.6M).

Including encore broadcasts, The Walking Dead had 15.2 million viewers for the night.

The show keeps topping itself. The season 2 premiere took the record as the most watched episode of a drama in basic cable history. Then the midseason premiere beat that record. That was followed by the season finale, which also beat it. Now the season 3 premiere has come along and broken that same record for a 4th time.

Here's a rundown of the series' numbers.

Season 1 Premiere: 5.35 million
    Season 1 Finale: 5.97 million
    Season 2 Premiere: 7.26 million
    Season 2.5 Premiere: 8.1 million
    Season 2 Finale: 8.99 million
    Season 3 Premiere: 10.9 million

It's crazy that AMC was dropped by the second largest satellite provider, but it didn't lose any numbers. Not only that, it gained 2 million viewers.

Part of that is lots of people with Dish dropped it when they found out Dish was still charging them for AMC,IFC and 2 other channels. But they didn't get those channels anymore.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited October 2012
    So...my take on it is:

A great set up for the season. We've jumped ahead about 6 months, and we see that the main team has become a very cohesive unit. They trust is Rick's leadership, have done well under it, and there are new tensions with Lori and Rick. They also put all of the players in motion (except for one...) and set the tone for the season. I was also pretty surprised at the "holy shit!" moment at the end of the episode. All-in-all, I think they are living up to the promise they made last year.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I loved the first episode of the new season. Amazing.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Loved the premiere! Total action from the beginning to end. I was afraid they'd take 4 episodes to find the Prison, instead, they're there in the 1st 15 minutes.

Loved the new confident badass Rick. Loved the scene where Lori's questioning him about his strategy, and where last season we'd see him all hesitant and questioning, here's it's like "yah..thanks..now shut up bitch!" (although, I thought they did go a little over the top on his coldness to Lori - but I guess her attack on him after she pushed him to kill Shane, and the fact that she's carrying what is most likely Shane's kid - you can see where he'd have mixed emotions).

Aside from that, Carl was cooler (loved the silencer they gave him - and it makes sense that they would give it to him). Sharp-shooting Carol as the Andrea stand-in (and I guess the implication is that she and Darryl are a couple, now? Someone else I spoke to about that didn't seem sure about that).

I figured with Dale gone, Herschel would be assuming the role of Wise Old Man (tm), and it looks like they're having him do that right down to the amputated leg! (does this mean he's going to be starring at dinner time, as well?? :^)

Loved the Prison itself - they did a great job with it - it looks suitably spooky. I suspected the final scene would be the live prisoners (and, again, love how they jumped right to it, instead of waiting a few episodes - just bang/bang/bang action here!). I loved the scene in the comic where, IIRC, they're all sitting around the cafeteria eating and say "Hey! C'mon on in and join us, why dontya" or something like that. But this was great too (and probably a lot more realistic) with one of the prisoners saying something like "holy shit!"

So overall, great stuff - hope they keep up the pace!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I really wanted the episode to end with, "Meatloaf?"...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    F U DISH
    and F U contract cancellation fees!
    :( :( :(
  • Options

@ctowner1 : nice review =D>

Thanks, @John_Steed! :-)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

F U DISH
    and F U contract cancellation fees!
    :( :( :(

I am in the same place brah. But thanks to my buddy Brian Torrens I am gonna get to watch Walking Dead tonight. ;)

• Options
    LOL,Brian Torrens.
    The ep was good but was it sorter than eps from last season? Seemed to be about 4-5mins shorter.

I don't know much about guns but was that a real silencer or one that was made for the show?

I think it's cute that Carl is crushing on Herschel's youngest living girl. Plus Herschel with a beard is a win and boy does it look like he lost weight from last season.
  • Options

LOL,Brian Torrens.
    The ep was good but was it sorter than eps from last season? Seemed to be about 4-5mins shorter.

I don't know much about guns but was that a real silencer or one that was made for the show?

I think it's cute that Carl is crushing on Herschel's youngest living girl. Plus Herschel with a beard is a win and boy does it look like he lost weight from last season.

You would be amazed at the collection of movies,tv shows and music Brian Torrens has.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I know Brian Torrens. Used to be really good friends until I got a nasty letter from a big bully instructing me to no longer borrow his movies.
  • Options
    Trust me I wouldn't be amazed at all since I've seen Ulysses Gorge in action.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I know Brian Torrens. Used to be really good friends until I got a nasty letter from a big bully instructing me to no longer borrow his movies.

Yeah never gotten a letter from the big bully. But I always make Brian meet me in the bad part of town and we wear disguises.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I still carry that fake ID on me....just in case I get ambushed....
  • Options
    I was a little upset Brian Torrens had his Demon tatoo removed. I havnt't found one i liked as much since.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Were you really sent a letter? I've never heard of anyone actually getting a letter. I know some people got sued for borrowing like millions of songs...
  • Options
    Nick said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Were you really sent a letter? I've never heard of anyone actually getting a letter. I know some people got sued for borrowing like millions of songs...

I know of a couple of people that got sent a letter from borrowing stuff from Brian Torrens. Everyone of them borrowed new Disney films from him. I just get Walking Dead,Breaking Bad and maybe next year Mad Men from him. Since Dish dropped AMC. With all three shows I buy the dvd or blu ray season sets when they come out. The only music I get from Brian is stuff I already have on record or cassette. Cause I currently don't have the equipment to transfer either media to MP3.

• Options
    random73 said:

I was a little upset Brian Torrens had his Demon tatoo removed. I havnt't found one i liked as much since.

I think he looks good as a Pirate, watching those michael Bay movies. ;^)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

random73 said:

I think he looks good as a Pirate, watching those michael Bay movies. ;^)

e
    L nny

No way joker those pirate waters are dangerous.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Episode was great.

Never thought they'd actually get inside the prison by episode one.
  • Options

Episode was great.

Me either I figured it would be at least episode 3 before they go to the prison. With how slowly paced the second season was.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    dubbat138 said:

Episode was great.

Me either I figured it would be at least episode 3 before they go to the prison. With how slowly paced the second season was.

Have to give credit to the current show-runner.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Episode was great.

Have to give credit to the current show-runner.
    Maybe ,but the first season had a great pace to it. What I have read the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 2 had the same show runner as season 1. With the rest of season 2 having the new guy running it. But up until the last 2 episodes of season 2 the pace was so slow. I will admit that season 2 works better when you watch it all in 2 or 3 days,instead of having to wait a week between each episode.