Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Walking Dead Season 3 AMC Thread

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David D beat me to the punch. When you work in film and television, you can end up with some less than stellar credits on your resume. I remember that Chris Carter had a few clunkers in his history that would never lead you to think he would come up with something like The X-Files.

And out of curiosity I looked up David Chase of The Sopranos. I see there's some work on The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo hiding in his closet.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    chrisw said:

David D beat me to the punch. When you work in film and television, you can end up with some less than stellar credits on your resume. I remember that Chris Carter had a few clunkers in his history that would never lead you to think he would come up with something like The X-Files.

And out of curiosity I looked up David Chase of The Sopranos. I see there's some work on The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo hiding in his closet.

There ain't nothing wrong with Sheriff Lobo! :P
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    dubbat138 said:

chrisw said:

Okay, at least it wasn't BJ And The Bear.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I see your point @David_D i know there are things on my resume i don't want defining my future but i get the impression (entirely subjective) that AMC is looking for someone malleable. an obedient little lamb they with not be quiteso hell bent on their own vision. no real basis for that just the impression i get. *Shrugs* Best of luck to him.

...and Sherriff Lobo puts his pants on two legs at a time the way god is supposed to...
  • Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

chrisw said:

Okay, at least it wasn't BJ And The Bear.
    BJ and the Bear was my favorite show..... when I was 7.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I don't even know what those shows are. :p
  • Options

Youngster.... get off my lawn!!!

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Youngster.... get off my lawn!!!

But my ball...
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited February 2013
    Once again, the series has broken basic cable ratings. The midseason premiere pulled in 12.3 million viewers in it's original airing and a total of 16.6 million including the encore airing. This is up from the record breaking season premiere, which had 10.9 million viewers and 15.2 including encore airings.

The Walking Dead continues to be the highest rated show on television, with a 6.1 in the Adult 18-49 demo, beating out the biggest network shows like The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and NCIS. This is the first cable show in history to ever surpass a network show in the ratings for the season.

Here's a quick rundown of the total viewers since the series premiered.

Season 1 premiere - 5.35 million
    Season 1 finale - 5.97 million
    Season 2 premiere - 7.26 million
    Season 2 midseason premiere - 8.10 million
    Season 2 finale - 8.99 million
    Season 3 premiere - 10.87 million
    Season 3 midseason premiere - 12.3 million
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

This is the first cable show in history to ever surpass a network show in the ratings.

That doesn't sound right. I think you mean this is the first cable show in history to ever surpass the top rated network shows occurring in the same season. Maybe.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited February 2013

tazmaniak said:

This is the first cable show in history to ever surpass a network show in the ratings.

That doesn't sound right. I think you mean this is the first cable show in history to ever surpass the top rated network shows occurring in the same season. Maybe.
    Yeah, that's what it says. I'll edit it, in case it wasn't clear.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Wish it had been a better first episode though. that was definitely one of the weaker ones.

e
    L nny

• Options
    I figured I saw the end of the episode coming, with Rick accepting the newbies into his group.

Boy was I wrong. Crazy wrong.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I wish Breaking Bad got ratings like that.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Glad its back but yeah I didnt think the episode was all that solid either.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    batlaw said:

Glad its back but yeah I didnt think the episode was all that solid either.

ctowner1 said:

Wish it had been a better first episode though. that was definitely one of the weaker ones.

e
    L nny

I agree. I wasn't that impressed and was expecting more from the first episode following the break.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2013
    I will echo the sentiment that I am glad it is back, and I am glad it is growing an audience, but I wish it was a stronger episode.

I also wish that the continued and growing success of the show would inspire AMC to spend more money on it. To staff a writer's room rather than having it be a setup of showrunner-and-scripts-purchased-from-freelancers. I feel like this episode suffered from some of the messiness and expediency that comes with not having your ensemble show written by a dedicated ensemble of writers.

And the more they play the citizens of Woodbury, the worse and less believable that place becomes as a place. I look forward to when the show moves away from the Governor and Woodbury.

And those Woodbury crowd scenes are a reminder of where AMC's tight purse shows on the screen-- to avoid paying more actors beyond extra or under-5 (line) rate, there are simply not enough speaking, recognizable characters in Woodbury. There is a lot of scenes of people (some of them with ridiculous-looking, cheaply thrown-together costumes, like that one lady in the Hooters shorts and the cowboy hat. . . good God what is her story supposed to be?) standing around peas-and-carrots-ing like the crowd in a high school production of Oklahoma. It seems silly. The crowd is just too much of a crowd. And I don't believe them.

Even if they don't want to make the time and money for more Woodbury characters, I think they could have at least made the people of Woodbury more specific. Even visually, they sometimes seem like they are suburbanites with working washing machines who barely know there is an apocalypse on, but then in the gladiator pit scenes they are like extras in Thunderdome. So which is it? If they have been radicalized and convinced that the Governor is the paternal figure that keeps them safe, then shouldn't the attack by outsiders only further push them towards the Governor? Are those outsiders not exactly the kinds of wild people the walls and forces of Woodbury exist to keep out?

Not to make a hacky connection, but my memory of the prevailing sentiment after 9/11 was not 'this government is unable to keep us safe. We should get out of here!' Rather, it was a push to increase the powers (and, by extension) the dependence on the government for security. The attack by Rick's group seemed like a win for the Governor. Something that would drive his wards closer to him. It is a proof of his concept. Not a condemnation of his rule.

Anyway, I just don't buy it. I look forward to the series getting beyond Woodbury.

And I really enjoyed the last scene, even if it was borrowed almost entirely from Act III Scene 4 of Macbeth. In which the king, wracked with guilt and trying to appear kingly at a banquet, sees the ghost of his friend Banquo and, shouting at and challenging this ghost in front of all his guests and most important subjects, makes everyone start to suspect he is crazy. And this helps inspire a coup against him (which is what I expect members of Tyrese's group will know be inspired to do.

Still, though, if you are going to steal, steal from the best. Shakespeare himself certainly seemed to believe that!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    The record setting ratings for this mid-season premiere have many experts stunned (according to a recent article I read), so I guess it shouldn't come as a shock that the topic of zombie apocalypse preparedness was rekindled, as evident by this recent Canadian Parliament session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBZuZAoglE
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    so when the zombies turn back at the Canadian borders : BLAME CANADA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA
  • Options

The record setting ratings for this mid-season premiere have many experts stunned (according to a recent article I read), so I guess it shouldn't come as a shock that the topic of zombie apocalypse preparedness was rekindled, as evident by this recent Canadian Parliament session.

Can you link to that article, or any other you've encountered? (If you can, of course)
  • Options

Can you link to that article, or any other you've encountered? (If you can, of course)
    Are you planning on offering your services to the Canadians? If there was ever someone who has done their zombie/survival homework, I think it is you!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

I think it was this one, though I'm not 100% positive for I read several. I know it was one that appeared in my Yahoo account's newsfeed, and I'm fairly certain Yahoo is in cahoots with EW, so it's likely the one I was referring to.

As for others, click here.
  • Options

I think it was this one, though I'm not 100% positive for I read several. I know it was one that appeared in my Yahoo account's newsfeed, and I'm fairly certain Yahoo is in cahoots with EW, so it's likely the one I was referring to.

As for others, click here.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    I thought "Arrow on the Doorpost" (whatever that means!) was a VERY disappointing episode - especially after that great ep we had last week. Here's some questions I had:

1) Why would Rick trust that the Gov hadn't hidden any weapons in the room (and, as it turned out, he had)!
    2) Why wouldn't Rick take issue with the Gov's "total surrender" statement? Isn't that the point where he should be getting up and saying, nice talking with you?
    3) Why on earth would Rick think he could trust the Gov to leave them alone if he gave up Michonne? Especially after the "total surrender" comment?
    4) Why would Glen & Maggie take time out for a nookie break when they have the volatile situation of keeping Merle in check to deal with?

Otherwise, it was just a dull episode - which is hard to beleive when the idea of rick meeting the gov face to face sounds like such an exciting one!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I agree on the first 3 bullet points - but the nookie break? I totally support that :@)
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Dear Carl: I hate you.
  • Options
    Here's a jerk:

cbldf.org/2013/03/columnist-endorses-censorship-after-zombie-binge/

Love thelast line:

"When we stop protecting all speech, even the speech we don’t particularly care for (such as Moss’s column), we become the zombies to which Moss alludes. In acting as a mouthpiece for censorship, Moss in patient zero — the zombie that infects us all."

e
    L nny
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Here's my view of what's going to happen in light of the comic. WARNING: CONTAINS FULL SPOILERS FOR COMIC THROUGH AROUND ISSUE 78 or SO!!)

I would love to see Daryl get killed b/c it would be so friggin badass and show the show has balls approaching those of Kirkman when he killed off fan favorite Tyrese. I don't think it does so they won't.

If they do kill Daryl, then Andrea will kill the Gov. But the more I think about it, the more I think they will kill Andrea. First, b/c the entire internet hates her. Second, b/c the way they would do it is to have Andrea finally get up her nerve to kill the Gov, but this time, when she tries, he's onto her (he already seems to distrust her at the end of the recent ep). So she will try, fail, and Gov will behead her at the prison gates. I don't think there will be 2 more attacks (an initial one like in the comic, followed by a Michonne/Daryl commando mission, followed by a beheading/final attack). That's b/c we already had an attack. So I think the next attack will be the final one. So the assassination attempt by Andrea followed by her beheading at the prison makes sense.

There had better the fuck be SOME beheading or this show is a douche!

Herschel will NOT die b/c he's Dale, so he has to survive in order to be eaten by the Hunters (tainted meat!!!).

Milton will kill Beth (playing Lori's role) and Judith on the Gov's orders. When he realizes what he has done, he'll be totally disgusted, just like the woman in the comic was, and Milton will kill the Gov. And then he'll join Rick's group, assuming the role of Eugene.

Tyrese will end up joining Rick's group and play the role of Abe. Tyrese will defect to Ricks group after (a) Andrea lays the groundwork in telling him the Gov is bad; and (b) when the Gov beheads Andrea, proving how evil he is. (Possibility: Tyrese kills Beth and Judith and then, disgusted, kills the Gov--establishing his badass cred-- and defects to Rick's group).

Carol dies. But if she doesn't, then she takes over Andrea's role in the comic as the sharpshooter.

Morgan is a question. I will HATE it if they kill him b/c I like him so much. Lennie James just signed up to do a detective type show, so its possible they'll feel free to kill him. My desire is he join the regular cast. So I'm really hoping they don't kill him. I DO think he'll show up in the final battle with the Gov as a last minute cavalry to help out. And they might kill him then.

Glen and Maggie live. If Carol dies (very likely) them Maggie will take over Andrea's role of sharpshooter.

Merle is a tough one. I think there's a chance he dies. Or kills the Gov. Or is beheaded. My initial guess was he dies and redeems himself by doing something heroic to save Daryl's life. Now I'm thinking there's a good chance that he's a mole for the Gov (or will be willing to flip back to the Gov offered the right incentive). If he is, then Daryl will definitely kill him, choosing the group over his traitorous brother. Actually, now that I think of it, I think Merle will kill Carol, and then Daryl will kill Merle. That works on all the right emotional points.

Michonne definitely lives. She's too badass to kill. If Andrea is killed, however, its unclear how it will be with Michonne's katana. Hmm. Now that I think of it, I think Michonne will try a solo attack on the Gov and lose her katana so that the Gov can then use it...yes!...the Gov will use it to behead Andrea first in front of Michonne to torture Michonne! Definitely! Then Michonne will get free (perhaps this is where Merle dies, saving Michonne? Doubtful).

So best guess summary: Andrea beheaded with katana, Daryl kills Merle the traitor after Merle kills Carol, Beth and Judith are killed by Milton. Milton kills Gov. Herschel, Michonne, Daryl, Rick, Carl, Glen, Maggie, Milton, Tyrese all live.

I think that covers it all. Thoughts?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Here's my view of what's going to happen in light of the comic. WARNING: CONTAINS FULL SPOILERS FOR COMIC THROUGH AROUND ISSUE 78 or SO!!)

I would love to see Daryl get killed b/c it would be so friggin badass and show the show has balls approaching those of Kirkman when he killed off fan favorite Tyrese. I don't think it does so they won't.

If they do kill Daryl, then Andrea will kill the Gov. But the more I think about it, the more I think they will kill Andrea. First, b/c the entire internet hates her. Second, b/c the way they would do it is to have Andrea finally get up her nerve to kill the Gov, but this time, when she tries, he's onto her (he already seems to distrust her at the end of the recent ep). So she will try, fail, and Gov will behead her at the prison gates. I don't think there will be 2 more attacks (an initial one like in the comic, followed by a Michonne/Daryl commando mission, followed by a beheading/final attack). That's b/c we already had an attack. So I think the next attack will be the final one. So the assassination attempt by Andrea followed by her beheading at the prison makes sense.

There had better the fuck be SOME beheading or this show is a douche!

Herschel will NOT die b/c he's Dale, so he has to survive in order to be eaten by the Hunters (tainted meat!!!).

Milton will kill Beth (playing Lori's role) and Judith on the Gov's orders. When he realizes what he has done, he'll be totally disgusted, just like the woman in the comic was, and Milton will kill the Gov. And then he'll join Rick's group, assuming the role of Eugene.

Tyrese will end up joining Rick's group and play the role of Abe. Tyrese will defect to Ricks group after (a) Andrea lays the groundwork in telling him the Gov is bad; and (b) when the Gov beheads Andrea, proving how evil he is. (Possibility: Tyrese kills Beth and Judith and then, disgusted, kills the Gov--establishing his badass cred-- and defects to Rick's group).

Carol dies- I agree. But if she doesn't, then she takes over Andrea's role in the comic as the sharpshooter.

Morgan is a question. I will HATE it if they kill him b/c I like him so much. Lennie James just signed up to do a detective type show, so its possible they'll feel free to kill him. My desire is he join the regular cast. So I'm really hoping they don't kill him. I DO think he'll show up in the final battle with the Gov as a last minute cavalry to help out. And they might kill him then.

Glen and Maggie live. If Carol dies (very likely) them Maggie will take over Andrea's role of sharpshooter.

Merle is a tough one. I think there's a chance he dies. Or kills the Gov. Or is beheaded. My initial guess was he lives and redeems himself by doing something heroic to save Daryl's life. Now I'm thinking there's a good chance that he's a mole for the Gov (or will be willing to flip back to the Gov offered the right incentive). If he is, then Daryl will definitely kill him, choosing the group over his traitorous brother. Actually, now that I think of it, I think Merle will kill Carol, and then Daryl will kill Merle. That works on all the right emotional points.

Michonne definitely lives. She's too badass to kill. If Andrea is killed, however, its unclear how it will be with Michonne's katana. Hmm. Now that I think of it, I think Michonne will try a solo attack on the Gov and lose her katana so that the Gov can then use it...yes!...the Gov will use it to behead Andrea first in front of Michonne to torture Michonne! Definitely! Then Michonne will get free (perhaps this is where Merle dies, saving Michonne? Doubtful).

So best guess summary: Andrea beheaded with katana, Daryl kills Merle the traitor after Merle kills Carol, Beth and Judith are killed by Milton. Milton kills Gov. Herschel, Michonne, Daryl, Rick, Carl, Glen, Maggie, Milton, Tyrese all live.

I think that covers it all. Thoughts?

e
    L nny

Wow. That was like watching a one-man writer's room.

CONTINUING SPOILERS FROM THE COMIC SPOILERS FROM THE COMIC

I don't think they kill Judith. I think killing a baby is something you can (barely) do in a comic that you can't do on cable. Not even on AMC. I think that would be a red line that the network wouldn't cross even if the show's creators wanted to. And there would be something even worse, in a way, of Judith dying separately from Lori than with her. I think the fact that they killed Lori to deliver Judith meant that Judith will continue to live. I could see, if they didn't want to have to keep dealing with occasional scenes with a baby in them, that maybe at some point a character takes Judith and leaves the group, something like that. But I just don't imagine them actually killing her. I feel like that might be too big of an ask of the audience. But I guess we'll see.