Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Is that a Legion of Superheroes insignia between his feet?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean: how we made The Sandman
    Writer Neil Gaiman and artist Dave McKean recall the reinvention of a DC character who went on to outsell Batman and Superman and reinvigorate the comics industry
    Sandman: Dave McKean's favourite covers - in pictures
    For more than a decade, comic-book artist Dave McKean designed the covers for Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. 'Today's golden age of comics is the fruit of the experimental period in the 1980s,' says McKean. With the latest in the series, The Sandman: Overture, set to be published 30 October, McKean shares the stories behind some of his favourite covers.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    WetRats said:

Is that a Legion of Superheroes insignia between his feet?

Evel don't need no dang flight ring.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Mac OS X Mavericks is available now and it's....free! :-O
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Marathon said:

• Options
    Marathon said:

Yeah... and it does me no good. I meet all the necessary requirements but one: my processor is too slow. :-w
  • Options
    Interesting situation on TV here in the UK, on our ESPN channel Rick Sutcliffe is on live talking to Chris Berman on baseball tonight.

On BT Sport 1, he's on live talking to Gary Thorne for the MLB International broadcast.
    8-}
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Marathon said:

When did they stop naming it after cats?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Marathon said:

When did they stop naming it after cats?
    This is the first one not feline-related.
  • Options
    Cleaned my garage a little yesterday as I finished winterizing my yard, and I came across a small family of mice that scattered everywhere when I moved a piece of wood. I don't want them making there way into my house this winter do I? Well, I went to the store this morning and picked up a couple of mouse traps. As of writing this, I have caught and killed six mice and my dog, Teal'c, caught one outside and killed it. All of this mouse-icide has taken place in less than 12 hours. That's how we get things done at the Zilla house. >:)
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Cleaned my garage a little yesterday as I finished winterizing my yard, and I came across a small family of mice that scattered everywhere when I moved a piece of wood. I don't want them making there way into my house this winter do I? Well, I went to the store this morning and picked up a couple of mouse traps. As of writing this, I have caught and killed six mice and my dog, Teal'c, caught one outside and killed it. All of this mouse-icide has taken place in less than 12 hours. That's how we get things done at the Zilla house. >:)

Do you pronounce your dog's name "TLC" ? if so, are you a bigger fan of "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls", or "No Scrubs"?

Or Honey Boo Boo?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "Tee-L-ck," like this guy:
    From Stargate SG-1. He's all dog though, no Goa'uld host. ;)

Also, an edit in the number of mouse kills: 9 total in less than 12 hours. I hope this problem doesn't get any bigger...
  • Options
    I could have sworn that I posted a topic thread about this already, but I don't know what happened to it. Maybe I pushed the wrong button when posting it.

Anyway: artist Al Plastino, one of the main Superman artists from the late 40's through the early 60's, posted on his Facebook page the other day a plea for assistance regarding the pages he had drawn for a classic Superman story, "Superman's Mission For President Kennedy". Plastino had thought the pages, a work he had been personally proud of, were on display somewhere in the Kennedy Museum. He was horrified to discover earlier this week that they were, instead, slotted to be auctioned off at the Heritage Auction House, starting at $20,000 a page.

No one seemed to know why or how the pages were in the possession of some private anonymous person. Plastino checked with the Museum, but nobody there could explain it, or find any record that they had ever received the pages to begin with. Heritage refused to identify the current owner. Followers of Plastino's FB page, including a number of pros, raised enough of a stink that Heritage has agreed to suspend the auction until the matter can be resolved. Heritage claims that the anonymous owner has proof of purchase from Sotheby's in 1993 -- but the question of how those pages got to Sotheby's in the first place instead of going to the Museum as they'd been intended remains unanswered.

I'm surprised this hasn't been getting more play in the comic press.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I could have sworn that I posted a topic thread about this already, but I don't know what happened to it. Maybe I pushed the wrong button when posting it.

Anyway: artist Al Plastino, one of the main Superman artists from the late 40's through the early 60's, posted on his Facebook page the other day a plea for assistance regarding the pages he had drawn for a classic Superman story, "Superman's Mission For President Kennedy". Plastino had thought the pages, a work he had been personally proud of, were on display somewhere in the Kennedy Museum. He was horrified to discover earlier this week that they were, instead, slotted to be auctioned off at the Heritage Auction House, starting at $20,000 a page.

No one seemed to know why or how the pages were in the possession of some private anonymous person. Plastino checked with the Museum, but nobody there could explain it, or find any record that they had ever received the pages to begin with. Heritage refused to identify the current owner. Followers of Plastino's FB page, including a number of pros, raised enough of a stink that Heritage has agreed to suspend the auction until the matter can be resolved. Heritage claims that the anonymous owner has proof of purchase from Sotheby's in 1993 -- but the question of how those pages got to Sotheby's in the first place instead of going to the Museum as they'd been intended remains unanswered.

I'm surprised this hasn't been getting more play in the comic press.

Well, the original Kennedy story drawn by Curt Swan that was intended for Superman #168 was, according to a Mort Weisinger editorial page, to be donated to Jacqueline Kennedy. Plastino’s version of the story (which appeared in Superman #170) came about after Pres. Johnson asked them to go ahead and publish the story, and Swan’s art was no longer in house.

I think it’s likely to be one of two things: 1) Both the Swan version and the Plastino version were sent to Mrs. Kennedy, and years later the estate auctioned off the pages, (in which case, Plastino has no claim on the pages), or 2) the Plastino version was never sent to the museum and years later—like so very, very many other pages of artwork once housed in DC’s vaults—one of the staffers walked out with it (in which case, the pages should technically be returned to DC).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

WetRats said:

I'm sure the one he normally rides has a custom paint job.

WetRats said:

And a reservoir full of Old Turkey!
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Here you go
    photo Evel-2_zpse031e821.jpg
  • Options
    I know there's mixed feelings about Comic Book Men, but I kinda like the show. I bought the first season on iTunes--I don't have cable and this is how I get most of my more recent shows--but the cost for season 2 was just too much. Especially since the show went down to half-hour episodes. Anyway, I waited until season two came out on Netflix, and it just arrived. Peace.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    One of today's Wildpig raffle winners looks vaguely familiar...

Congrats to @Pants. Now, I wonder how many actual wild pigs they raffled?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Not sure if this has ever been talked about on any of the other threads... But I've just watched the season 2 finale of The Newsroom. I've got to say, this is by far the best show on TV right now. I look forward to season 3 next year.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited October 2013
    luke52 said:

Not sure if this has ever been talked about on any of the other threads... But I've just watched the season 2 finale of The Newsroom. I've got to say, this is by far the best show on TV right now. I look forward to season 3 next year.

I love that show, and HBO says they want it back, but Sorkin is saying he doesn't want to do any more. Hopefully, it's just a negotiation tactic, but without Sorkin, I'm pretty sure I won't care.
  • Options

I love that show, and HBO says they want it back, but Sorkin is saying he doesn't want to do any more. Hopefully, it's just a negotiation tactic, but without Sorkin, I'm pretty sure I won't care.

I wasn't a huge fan of season 2, but I thought the finale really wrapped things up in a way that if it never came back I'd be ok with that. In fact, I think it was so buttoned up, character arc wise, that they left very little room to do interesting things without breaking what worked.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    After a long week 1-part catching badguys and 4-parts paperwork, I have settled in for beer and the new Batman Arkham Origins game, to find my girlfriend at home hogging the game, but not the beer.

I'm ok with this.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Bondo said:

After a long week 1-part catching badguys and 4-parts paperwork, I have settled in for beer and the new Batman Arkham Origins game, to find my girlfriend at home hogging the game, but not the beer.

I'm ok with this.

I'm skipping this one and waiting for Rocksteady's next Arkham.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Have you ever had a podcast you loved get bought by a major company and change it's name? Then you have to google search to find out why there wasn't a new podcast after day 1 of the new NBA season?

If you are looking for The Basketball Jones, they are now The Starters on itunes. NBATv scooped up my guys.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2013
    I HOPE my podcast gets bought up for someone. Hell, I'd be happy if someone gave me a candy bar for it.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Bondo said:

I'm ok with this.

Its a great story so far. But the game has more bugs than any other major release title I can remember. Rocksteady contracted the work out to the Montreal studio and it really is not at a release-level as far as bugs and glitches go. The framerate on the Ps3 is awful, the game-crashes are plentiful, the controls arent as tight as the previous incarnations of the series, and the gimps and glitches are far far far too pronounced. I'm so disappointed with it. If they had spent another couple months fixing bugs, they wouldnt have to change any gameplay or story and it would be fine.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Bondo said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Bondo said:

I'm ok with this.

Its a great story so far. But the game has more bugs than any other major release title I can remember.
    I know that sometimes things are just a surprise, but the idea that a company could let arguably the 2nd biggest release of the year out the door with so many bugs is frustrating.
  • Options
    I'm not usually one for variant covers, but, as a fan of anthropomorphics, I'd be interested in getting these:

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48839

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Cyclops, here are your shades...

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    First, thanks to JamieD and David_D for allowing me to post this.

I'm doing a few twenty-four hour gaming marathons as a way to help out my dad's GiveForward effort. All I am asking for is help spreading the word about it.

Details can be found here which can be shared on all of the various social media outlets.

My dad is one of us, any help in sharing this is a great help and truly appreciated. I'm friends with some of you already on facebook and twitter, if you see me making updates and promoting it there or on tumblr, please share them.

Thank you folks.