Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    random73 said:

Heading to Kansas city for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund run @ Royals Stadium this weekend. Anything in the area I HAVE to hit? After the success of my Vegas inquiry I figure I better see what else you guys can come up with before i head out.

If you've never tried any Kansas City bbq joints, you can't leave KC without doing so.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Greg said:

random73 said:

Heading to Kansas city for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund run @ Royals Stadium this weekend. Anything in the area I HAVE to hit? After the success of my Vegas inquiry I figure I better see what else you guys can come up with before i head out.

If you've never tried any Kansas City bbq joints, you can't leave KC without doing so.
    i've been to Arthur Bryants and The Blue Room (more of a jazz/blues joint). I've been to Grinders (saw the Avett Brothers there a few years ago) but i'd like to go there again. Seems like I also ate in a little BBQ joint called Smokehouse maybe?
  • Options
    Smokestack and Fiorella's Jack Stack were the other two i've tried. I didn't want ot hit the same place twice. I wanna try something new if i can.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's been close to twenty years since the last time I was in KC. My brother goes through there a lot and brings stuff back with him.

Smokebox
    Woodyard
    Smokin' Guns
    RJ's
    Johnny's
  • Options
    Somebody told me to Check out a joint called O'Malley's Pub in Weston. Apparently it is the coolest place he's ever been but he wouldn't say why. didn't want to spoil the surprise...
  • Options
    Just checked it out. Time for a road trip.
  • Options
    I'm sure this must be a typo, but the Previews' website page for shipping updates lists Hawkeye #16 as being pushed back from a release date of Jan 22, 2013 to being released, instead, on Jan 22 2014.

I would hope it's a typo, anyway...
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2013
    Marathon said:

Anybody who just wants more blade runner stories, rather than films specifically, there were 3 novel sequels in the 90s.

Not written by Dick, so I have no interest in reading them.

As for the film, I gel much the same as @Torchsong.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Yep...that was her...the cosplay that will not die...
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited October 2013
    We are getting one step closer to finding my favorite out of focus monster: Bigfoot, the gentle wood-ape or is it the gentle wood polarbear.

Science may have found an answer for the Yeti. Bigfoot's rowdy-drunken-snowbound-cousin.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    After repeated suggestions by Netflix, I decided to watch the much-maligned "Movie 43".

It was far more amusing than I expected.

Especially the "Superhero Speed Dating" segment.
    Unbelievable cast:
    Uma Thurman as Lois Lane!
    Kristen Bell as the cutest Supergirl ever!
    Jason Sudekis as the Batholiest Batman ever!
    And John Hodgman absolutely nails the Penguin.

• Options
    kay I'm hitting Dallas, TX this week. flying out Sunday 20th and back Friday the 25th. I'll be in claims school most of the day from 8-5 or so. any good evening entertainment choices. preferably ones that will not get me fired...
  • Options
    Geez what a lousy weekend. Mark Richt at the University of Georgia is the Moses of college football. He gets you to the edge, but he will never crossover into the promise land. I've accepted this. Every 2 years we are looking across the river at a national championship, but we will never cross with him at the helm.

I gave up on the Mark Richt era in 2009 when he lost to both vandy and kentucky in the same season. I thought that was bad, but this weekends loss to vandy was just embarassing. If I wasn't a UGA lifer (I'm a UGA grad, my wife is a UGA grad, my mom and dad are UGA grads) I'd raise my incoming daughter to pull for Alabama or Florida or USC; some other team I know will be in a national championship game.

This is why it sucks to be a sports fan (especially in Georgia).
  • Options
    @mwhitt80: Where did you get your comics when you were in Athens?
  • Options
    I went to classic city comics (now closed) but there is the wuxtry in the downtown that is a pretty interesting store.
    Are you making the trip to God's country?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    mwhitt80 said:

I went to classic city comics (now closed) but there is the wuxtry in the downtown that is a pretty interesting store.
    Are you making the trip to God's country?

I've been visiting Athens since the late 80's.

My core group of gaming friends is centered there, including Jon Hanna, who ran Classic City.

(Pardon my aging brain. I'm pretty sure we had this conversation before, now that I think about it.)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You know Jon? I've not seen him since I helped moved filing cabinets from the store to his new home when he was closed up shop. I love that guy. Next time you see him tell him Matt W says hello. I even gave Jon a shout out on the episode of CGS I was on (a week before he put up the going out of business sign).

I'm not sure we've had this conversation, and my mind has been blown. How did we never cross paths (or maybe we did)?

Now that we have an actual mutual friend I feel I should lookup on the facebook.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

You know Jon? I've not seen him since I helped moved filing cabinets from the store to his new home when he was closed up shop. I love that guy. Next time you see him tell him Matt W says hello. I even gave Jon a shout out on the episode of CGS I was on (a week before he put up the going out of business sign).

I'm not sure we've had this conversation, and my mind has been blown. How did we never cross paths (or maybe we did)?

Now that we have an actual mutual friend I feel I should lookup on the facebook.

Saw him a couple months ago. The last time I was down.

He's working at the university now, I forget where.

He uses Google Plus far more than Facebook.

Look for me (Stewart MacWilliam) and he'll be in my Circles.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    awesome man. I'll check it out.
    Ok I have to ask you this because when I was in the store I poked Jon about it. I'm assuming you were part of his actual RPG group (D&D if I remember correctly, I guess it could be warhammer too), but did you play that 5 rings card game (name could be wrong, it had all the ninja clans in it). The guy would never, ever do combat, he just clicky-wheeled players for the win. I never saw him once engage in a combat turn that he initiated.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Ok I have to ask you this because when I was in the store I poked Jon about it. I'm assuming you were part of his actual RPG group (D&D if I remember correctly, I guess it could be warhammer too), but did you play that 5 rings card game (name could be wrong, it had all the ninja clans in it). The guy would never, ever do combat, he just clicky-wheeled players for the win. I never saw him once engage in a combat turn that he initiated.

It's the rare RPG I haven't played with Jon.

And yeah, played tons of L5R as well. Was he playing Dishonor or something? I was mostly a Unicorn guy myself.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    WetRats said:

And yeah, played tons of L5R as well. Was he playing Dishonor or something? I was mostly a Unicorn guy myself.

I'm not sure what he was playing. I watched a ton of those games and never understood what was going on. I just made fun of him for never attacking and always playing that clicky-wheel of death.
    Jon is a good guy, and i miss wasting too much time up at his shop. It was nice getting to know him during what was a rather low point for my morale and professional career. I was cleaning toliets and newly married (still married with my first one on the way). I was low and being able to relax at his place helped.
  • Options
    Did I really see somebody drop L5R?!
    :x
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2013
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

...ladies.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    WetRats said:

Now I really feel old.

• Options
    WetRats said:

I wish I had never seen that. I just grew up a little bit more.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

I wish I had never seen that. I just grew up a little bit more.
    I dunno.

I think he makes scootin' look badass.

(Speaking of badass, dig those blue boots!)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

I'm sure the one he normally rides has a custom paint job.