Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Just because the local MeTV is showing Gilligan's Island
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited November 2013
    You can catch a live feed of the Batkid taking on San Francisco's *ahem* that is to say Gotham City's rogues.

(much of the live footage is being recorded by overhead cams with no audio)
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/live
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Awesome pics to be seen here

The double life of cosplayers – in pictures
    Klaus Pichler’s striking photographs reveal the double identities of costume enthusiasts. Most would describe themselves as cosplayers – people who dress as characters from shows and comics – although his photographs capture other costumed sub-cultures, too, from furries to LARPers. Here are a few of our favourites
    The double life of cosplayers – in pictures
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Had a naked truck driver come through the gate at work today.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Greg said:

What a cliffhanger. You better tell us more :-w
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Greg said:

What a cliffhanger. You better tell us more :-w
    A truck pulled in and we noticed right off the bat the guy didn't have a shirt on, that's nothing uncommon. One of the guards went out to get him signed in when and heard him shouting at the driver. The guard stepped inside to tell me that the guy was naked as a newborn.

I went out and sure enough all he had on was a pair of sandles. I advised the guy to stay in the cab and get dressed. The entire time the guard kept walking away then turning around to look again saying, "Sir, yer naked", "yeah, naked, you got no clothes on", "you don't have clothes sir."

I had to call my brother who's a truck driver and harrass him about it. I'm just happy the guy wasn't stoned on something and cooperated but we still had to call the DoT.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Boy I bet that looks interesting on his driving record.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The nekkid doesn't bother me as much as the sandals. That's just dangerous!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Did you bet your coworker a dollar to sniff the seat?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    So my wife woke up the other day and told me she had a weird dream. We were at a waterpark and I fell in a wave pool that for some reason was filled with maneating sharks. She was freaking out then I popped up on the back of a giant shark.
    Her exact words "Then you started yelling 'Woooooo! I'm riding a freakin' shark' "
    That's not wierd ; it's freaking awesome.

Now back to naked truckers (equally awesome)
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    For the Brits and Aussies on the forum....it's on!
  • Options
    I have finally reached the point where snark and "irony" just aren't funny to me.

Tried watching an episode of Honest Trailers, just thought they were assholes.

Same with Everything Wrong With and even MST3K.

I still like How It Should Have Ended. They're actually being creative rather than just making fun.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I have finally reached the point where snark and "irony" just aren't funny to me.

I still like How It Should Have Ended. They're actually being creative rather than just making fun.

I'm with you for the most part. Most snark just feels so mean-spirited. That being said, I still enjoy MST3K, because they're not doing just snark, and the snark they do utilize seems to come more from a place of warmth and fondness for the material they're poking fun at than from a place of superiority or petty meanness.
  • Options

WetRats said:

I'm with you for the most part. Most snark just feels so mean-spirited. That being said, I still enjoy MST3K, because they're not doing just snark, and the snark they do utilize seems to come more from a place of warmth and fondness for the material they're poking fun at than from a place of superiority or petty meanness.
    Mostly, I'm blaming MST3K as the begetter of its lesser spawn.

But I was never much of a fan. The idea of spending time watching something bad just to make fun of it instead of watching something good kinda baffles me.

I like parody, not mockery.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Mostly, I'm blaming MST3K as the begetter of its lesser spawn.

But I was never much of a fan. The idea of spending time watching something bad just to make fun of it instead of watching something good kinda baffles me.

I like parody, not mockery.
    There’s good bad, and there’s bad bad. I've watched the Godzilla and Gamera movies in both their original versions and their MST3K versions with equal enjoyment. My wife loves those borderline-terrible ’50s sci-fi and horror movies that ended up on TV during the Saturday afternoon “movie matinee” shows (we have a bunch of them on DVD), and she loves the MST3K send-ups as well (which we also have on DVD).

It’s stuff we enjoyed as kids, and which we can now enjoy in a different way as adults. In a way we’re making fun of ourselves when watching MST3K as much as we're making fun of the movies. I think the MST3K guys come from that same place.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I love MST3K. It is something that the wife and I both make part of our lives, we love when a new Rifftrax comes out, and it's quite probable I'll be watching them until the day I die.

While I love them...I pretty much loathe everything they're responsible for creating.

Like NWeathington said - the MST3K riffing comes from a place of, if not love, fondness and yes, a sort of respect that this person, or these people, actually saw their visions through enough to get them made. It gives hope to all of us. Think about it...*billions* were spent on the Star Wars prequels, but I still find Manos, the Hands of Fate more enjoyable, and it was made for what? Maybe $20k?

However, I think people misinterpreted what the guys at Best Brains were doing as "Hey, I'm a funny guy! People will like it when I talk during the movie as well!" Well, you're *not* funny...or at least not as funny as you think you are...and you're in an actual theater, not your home. Shut up. I didn't pay my $10 to hear your attempt at open mike night.

In addition like WetRats said, the pretenders to the throne are more 'mean' than humorous. Like KMFDM sings "We used to hate people now we make fun of them/It's more effective that way." But making fun of something doesn't necessarily come off as funny. Hating on something doesn't necessarily make you cooler or more informed or hipper than the thing you're hating on...sometimes it just makes you a douche. :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

I love MST3K. It is something that the wife and I both make part of our lives, we love when a new Rifftrax comes out, and it's quite probable I'll be watching them until the day I die.

While I love them...I pretty much loathe everything they're responsible for creating.

Like NWeathington said - the MST3K riffing comes from a place of, if not love, fondness and yes, a sort of respect that this person, or these people, actually saw their visions through enough to get them made. It gives hope to all of us. Think about it...*billions* were spent on the Star Wars prequels, but I still find Manos, the Hands of Fate more enjoyable, and it was made for what? Maybe $20k?

However, I think people misinterpreted what the guys at Best Brains were doing as "Hey, I'm a funny guy! People will like it when I talk during the movie as well!" Well, you're *not* funny...or at least not as funny as you think you are...and you're in an actual theater, not your home. Shut up. I didn't pay my $10 to hear your attempt at open mike night.

In addition like WetRats said, the pretenders to the throne are more 'mean' than humorous. Like KMFDM sings "We used to hate people now we make fun of them/It's more effective that way." But making fun of something doesn't necessarily come off as funny. Hating on something doesn't necessarily make you cooler or more informed or hipper than the thing you're hating on...sometimes it just makes you a douche. :)

Good points all.

Especially this: "a sort of respect that this person, or these people, actually saw their visions through enough to get them made"

Part of the problem is that my daily douchebag dosage is so high these days, that my tolerance level for douchebaggery in my entertainment has reached nil.*

*I really like the term "douchebaggery" however.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

*I really like the term "douchebaggery" however.
    I've pondered this term for a while now, and I'm puzzled as to what it is that makes it a pejorative. Wouldn't "enema nozzle" be a better phrase? Admittedly, it doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way, but still seems to carry a nice panache.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I've pondered this term for a while now, and I'm puzzled as to what it is that makes it a pejorative. Wouldn't "enema nozzle" be a better phrase? Admittedly, it doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way, but still seems to carry a nice panache.

I will be shuddering all day at the imagery of an enema nozzle rolling off my tongue.

:-&
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

I will be shuddering all day at the imagery of an enema nozzle rolling off my tongue.

:-&
    Didn't expect that to go there.... :-O
  • Options
    "Nozzle" itself could make a good epithet.

"Enema nozzle" is a bit of a mouthful.*

*Payback. Give me unfortunate imagery, I give you unfortunater imagery.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

"

It now occurs to me that this could have made for the perfect, utterly disturbing collegiate bulk beverage dispensing device?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

"

It now occurs to me that this could have made for the perfect, utterly disturbing collegiate bulk beverage dispensing device?
    First night, freshman year, my roommate and I visited the freshman girls' dorm with a (pristine) bedpan full of popcorn. Without exception, those who took popcorn unflinchingly were the ones worth knowing.
    ^:)^
  • Options
    I rarely pimp what I do here. It's not why I post on this board. But for anyone interested and looking to save some cash, TwoMorrows has all its books (including mine) at 40% off now through December 1.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Did you bet your coworker a dollar to sniff the seat?

and the other "conversations" in here as of late...

:D