Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Few times in my life have I been so utterly envious.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Don't nirm post this kind of stuff but I thought it was interesting:

In 1947 ten comic strip artists were asked to draw their characters blindfolded

Raise your hand if you read this and thought it was weird that someone was asking cartoonists to draw their characters wearing the blindfold.

:-h
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

So, went to my local comic shop yesterday, Madness Comics and Games in Plano TX and who should I find

Dude, You relocated to TX?!?!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

So, went to my local comic shop yesterday, Madness Comics and Games in Plano TX and who should I find

oh yeah. sorry about that. I thought I had posted that somewhere. The Farm made offers for both my wife and I to relocate to the Richardson TX office. (Dallas in the same way that suburban folks back home just say they're from Chicago). We actually settled in a town called McKinney. I'm digging the hell out of it. You can't swing a cat without hitting something awesome in my town.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

hauberk said:

random73 said:

oh yeah. sorry about that. I thought I had posted that somewhere. The Farm made offers for both my wife and I to relocate to the Richardson TX office. (Dallas in the same way that suburban folks back home just say they're from Chicago). We actually settled in a town called McKinney. I'm digging the hell out of it. You can't swing a cat without hitting something awesome in my town.
    Well then I have to offer a simultaneous "congrats!" and "doh!"
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883
    fredzilla said:

Raise your hand if you read this and thought it was weird that someone was asking cartoonists to draw their characters wearing the blindfold.

It did all seem a little kinky to me. Like the real story was "Man Wants to See Ten Comic Strip Artists Blindfolded".
  • Options
    David_D said:

fredzilla said:

It did all seem a little kinky to me. Like the real story was "Man Wants to See Ten Comic Strip Artists Blindfolded".
    Haha. I think the idea was that these artists were always saying "I've drawn so-and-so so many times I could do it blindfolded" and somebody actually put it to the test. You have to remember that strips were wildly popular in those days, so there was way more interest in the creators.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,622
    Ughhh I just ran across something that irked me.

I was reading an article at fivethirtyeight.com , and then checked some of the comments. The article was on the potential of a runoff in GAs Senate race. The way GA works is that the canidate must win by 51% (even in the primaries). If no canidate gets at least 51% then the top 2 canidates are required to have a runoff election. This happens all the time in the primaries.

A commenter was asking why GA has an election law like this. The answer provided by another commenter was that the law was changed once the Republicans came into power to prevent other parties from taking control. The law actually goes back to when GA was a one party state (between Reconstruction and roughly 1980), and created in the early 1900s. This was so that a crowded primary wouldn't produce a Democratic canidate that the majority of the district/state did not like. It makes a lot of sense in a one party system.

The lesson as always is stop reading after the article ends.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Ughhh I just ran across something that irked me.

I was reading an article at fivethirtyeight.com , and then checked some of the comments. The article was on the potential of a runoff in GAs Senate race. The way GA works is that the canidate must win by 51% (even in the primaries). If no canidate gets at least 51% then the top 2 canidates are required to have a runoff election. This happens all the time in the primaries.

A commenter was asking why GA has an election law like this. The answer provided by another commenter was that the law was changed once the Republicans came into power to prevent other parties from taking control. The law actually goes back to when GA was a one party state (between Reconstruction and roughly 1980), and created in the early 1900s. This was so that a crowded primary wouldn't produce a Democratic canidate that the majority of the district/state did not like. It makes a lot of sense in a one party system.

The lesson as always is stop reading after the article ends.

Every so often, I forget that comment sections are a way to feel your soul and tolerance for humanity die. I posted a comment (under my Solitaire Rose name) on a news forum where I said I thought the NFL has handled their recent scandals poorly, and if they aren’t careful and vigilant, they could be in the same place the NBA was a few years ago when their players were in trouble with the law. Within MINUTES, I was getting e-mail notifications about how my husband needed to knock some sense into me…and it went downhill from there. I didn’t respond once, but within two hours, people were stating vile things they wanted to do to me to “teach me a lesson.”

Rule #35 of the internet: Avoid comment sections as if they are filled with rabid bears.
  • Options
    I'd pay top dollar for a "Secret Avengers vs Superior Foes of Spider-Man" mini-series.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,622

Every so often, I forget that comment sections are a way to feel your soul and tolerance for humanity die. I posted a comment (under my Solitaire Rose name) on a news forum where I said I thought the NFL has handled their recent scandals poorly, and if they aren’t careful and vigilant, they could be in the same place the NBA was a few years ago when their players were in trouble with the law. Within MINUTES, I was getting e-mail notifications about how my husband needed to knock some sense into me…and it went downhill from there. I didn’t respond once, but within two hours, people were stating vile things they wanted to do to me to “teach me a lesson.”

Rule #35 of the internet: Avoid comment sections as if they are filled with rabid bears.

That is so true.

What got me wasn't the political aspect of the commenter. It was that it was just an outright lie for the purpose of slandering someone/group. I'm not ok with that even when it's done to people I fundamently disagree with or even openly dislike (unless it's FSU or the Saints ;) ). Comment sections & internet horror stories remind me why I love the CGS forums so much. Also Solitaire Rose does sound like a girl's name ;)

Lesson learned: The interwebs are a hive of liars and thieves.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

. Also Solitaire Rose does sound like a girl's name ;)

Yep, but I've been using it on-line since the late 80's and I ain't changing now!

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited September 2014

Within MINUTES, I was getting e-mail notifications about how my husband needed to knock some sense into me…and it went downhill from there. I didn’t respond once, but within two hours, people were stating vile things they wanted to do to me to “teach me a lesson.”

Now go make me a sammich, woman! :)

/Says the man with the My Little Pony avatar. :)

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Survey:

Do you bag your comics with the opening...

1) opening at the top, flap to the back
    2) opening at the top, flap to the front
    2) opening at the bottom, flap to the back
    2) opening at the bottom, flap to the front
    5) I don't bag my comics - I READ THEM!!

I'm just wondering because I don't understand why some folks have the opening at the bottom and it irks me a little when they do...

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited September 2014
    Opening at the top, flap to the back. Like it is supposed to be.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    random73 said:

ditto
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I completely agree. Who are these people that put the book in upside down that way?! Was there a method to this madness to which I am unaware?
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    rebis said:

random73 said:

ditto
    I Ditto that Ditto
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883
    For those of you who use (or trade) your Marvel Digital Edition codes, I found tonight that when a code is hard to read, zooming in with an iPhone camera can do wonders.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I think I almost cried tonight, watching jeter's final game at home with my Dad. We watched his 3000th hit together, and to watch this with him meant something.

End of an era for us, and the Yankees, of course.
  • Options
    This was such a bullshit penalty last night:

Both defenders lead with their shoulders and the idiot receiver then drops his head into them. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    That's what happens when Refs are told to follow the letter of the law rather than the spirit that the law was written. You're right. That's a ridiculous penalty.
  • Options
    It's not even the letter of the law. The guy dropped his head into the defender's shoulders. There was no "targetting" of the receivers neck/helmet, there was no helmet-to-helmet contact. Granted, my team won in a blowout, so it's hard to get pissy about it ... but, well, I guess I'm still pissy about it! LOL!
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Survey:

Do you bag your comics with the opening...

1) opening at the top, flap to the back
    2) opening at the top, flap to the front
    2) opening at the bottom, flap to the back
    2) opening at the bottom, flap to the front
    5) I don't bag my comics - I READ THEM!!

I'm just wondering because I don't understand why some folks have the opening at the bottom and it irks me a little when they do...

Open on top, flap to the back, after they've been read. I stopped bagging/boarding my floppies about a year ago. Don't see a point it anymore unless its an older book.
  • Options
    This headline >> "Brooklyn Mail Carrier Accused Of Hoarding 40,000 Letters"

immediately made me think of this guy:

and this guy:

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

This headline >> "Brooklyn Mail Carrier Accused Of Hoarding 40,000 Letters"

immediately made me think of this guy:

and this guy:

Newman.