Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited September 2014
    I don't drink any sodas with HFCS (unless it's the option), if I can't find an all natural soda ot tea, I just go with water. Vanilla rum with root beer, cherry Coke, cherry Dr. Pepper or black cherry soda is amazing.
  • Options
    Coke Zero for me. Best diet soda I've ever tasted.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

Last night I started reading Elfquest for the first time.

Holy crap why didn't you people tell me how awesome this comic is?!? :)

Doesn't everyone know that? Geez, do I have to tell you about Jack Kirby, Jack Cole, MAD, Blazing Combat, Mage, Grendel, Transmetropolitan, America's Best Comics, Joe Maneely, and Bernie Krigstein too?

You kids today with your loud hair, your big pants and listening to the No Doubt....
    Kirby...Kirby...he's that guy Stan Lee made famous, right?

/runs for cover
    No need to run...by the time he showed up at Marvel, he really had no where left to go, and the days of his name on a book meaning big sales were long over. I think that Lee made ALL of the early artists at Marvel popular. Ditko wasn't a name until his work there, Romita was DC's romance artist and they cut him loose, Heck had labored in obscurity and so on.

Lee's the one who called him the King of Comics.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Greg said:

I don't drink any sodas with HFCS (unless it's the option), if I can't find an all natural soda ot tea, I just go with water. Vanilla rum with root beer, cherry Coke, cherry Dr. Pepper or black cherry soda is amazing.

Give me a good bourbon and coke and I'm a happy bunny.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,622
    luke52 said:

Greg said:

You drink bourbon neat, on the rocks, or cut with water (if you need something to cut the sharpness with). grumblegrumblegrumble
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

rebis said:

I'm not a fan of cream or vanilla in my sodas.
    Although, at this point in my life I should stop drinking them all together.

You and me, both. My problem is I don't like coffee, and sometimes I need the help to stay awake. And all the bottled tea I find has high fructose corn syrup in it and is flavored, and tastes like crap.
    I'm in a similar boat. I don't drink coffee and rarely (like twice this year) will have a soda of any kind.

I end up keeping a pitcher of unsweetened ice tea in the refrigerator at work and carrying a couple of spare water bottles for tea when I'm driving anywhere. There are a few bottlers that do a straight up, unflavored, unsweetened black tea, but they're few and far between and, in my opinion not very good.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

luke52 said:

Greg said:

You drink bourbon neat, on the rocks, or cut with water (if you need something to cut the sharpness with). grumblegrumblegrumble
    Lol. Not for me, a sweet Woodford Reserve and Coke is my favourite.

People like to argue about how you should drink scotch over here in the UK. Things can get heated.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    rebis said:

rebis said:

You and me, both. My problem is I don't like coffee, and sometimes I need the help to stay awake. And all the bottled tea I find has high fructose corn syrup in it and is flavored, and tastes like crap.
    Do you have this in your area?
    I wish it was available in 12oz cans. The bigs cans end up with something like 180 cal.
    Btw, the Cherry is hard to find, but it's FANTASTIC!
    This man speaks truth and you should listen to him.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I teach for an online public school and we were at a local library doing testing for our students. One mom was sitting and waiting for her daughter to finish and was reading the Marvel Previews pullout. Not a comic book, but Previews! I went over and introduced myself and we talked comics for a good 30 mins. I've never seen someone reading comics blatantly in public, let alone a Previews catalog.
  • Options
    To counter some of the negative thoughts towards DC lately here's some praise... Bleeding Cool are running an article stating that in the month of December DC are publishing twice as many $2.99 books then the rest of the publishers combined. In my eyes that's to be praised in the current market.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Coke Zero for me. Best diet soda I've ever tasted.

Blah! And I like Diet Coke.

No, for me, the best diet soda is Pepsi Max.

• Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Holding out for this stuff.

Not really. It was vile.

Beautiful, but nasty.

I’ve been holding out for the return of Vanilla Diet Coke – but now even regular Vanilla Coke is gone from the shelves. ☹
    I believe it's still a choice at the cool hi-tech Coke machines they have at Five Guys.
    Damn! I don’t live nearly close enough to Five Guys!! ☹

I also miss those seltzer drinks that were so popular during the 80’s and 90’s… but I guess they shoved them off of the shelves for the caffeine drinks… Red Bull and its ilk…
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    fredzilla said:

rebis said:

rebis said:

Do you have this in your area?
    I wish it was available in 12oz cans. The bigs cans end up with something like 180 cal.
    Btw, the Cherry is hard to find, but it's FANTASTIC!
    This man speaks truth and you should listen to him.
    Thanks Fred.
    Btw, this stuff is so good that even the unsweetened tea is fantastic. And a quick aside for those of you that like to cook. I like to use the Mango & Cherry teas as a braising liquid for things like pork loin.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Red Bull and its ilk…

Hey.

Don't knock Red Bull.

I first had Red Bull sitting outside a cafe in Stein, Austria, overlooking the beautiful blue Danube, with a view of a ruined Roman fort and my best girl by my side.

Every time I see the logo, I am transported back to that perfect moment.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

Red Bull and its ilk…

Hey.

Don't knock Red Bull.

I first had Red Bull sitting outside a cafe in Stein, Austria, overlooking the beautiful blue Danube, with a view of a ruined Roman fort and my best girl by my side.

Someone somewhere has probably had a similar experience with Colt .45 or Zima. The association to a great memory does not guarantee the quality of the beverage. :D
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Red Bull and its ilk…

Hey.

Don't knock Red Bull.

Someone somewhere has probably had a similar experience with Colt .45 or Zima. The association to a great memory does not guarantee the quality of the beverage. :D
    Well there was that time I had a Schlitz Malt Liquor in a china shop...
  • Options

Damn! I don’t live nearly close enough to Five Guys!! ☹

I may have spoken too soon! I just learned they're opening a new one that's not too far out of the way for me. Oh! Frabjous day!
  • Options
    Zaxbys also have the crazy coke machines.

I hate "Russian" hackers that breach credit card infos of major stores. It makes my life more complicated. Debit/credit cards get cancelled by banks or cc companies; I have to update all my info with online vendors. Stupid hackers.
  • Options
    I don't get the TL Falcons. I know Tampa Bay is bad but is thier defense 50 pts worse than Bengals? I can not figure this team out.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

I don't get the TL Falcons. I know Tampa Bay is bad but is thier defense 50 pts worse than Bengals? I can not figure this team out.

As a Vikings fan I wish I had your problem.

• Options
    It's a totally different game for the Falcons at home vs being on the road.
  • Options
    Well I'm full of Atlanta news today. Former Braves closer, and all-timer on the insane scale, Johhn Rocker is going on Survivor. AJC showed a picture of hime shirtless and dude is still ripped.

Also the Barves have fired their GM, Frank Wren. Maybe Bossman Jr. is next?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    mwhitt80 said:

Well I'm full of Atlanta news today. Former Braves closer, and all-timer on the insane scale, Johhn Rocker is going on Survivor. AJC showed a picture of hime shirtless and dude is still ripped.

Also the Barves have fired their GM, Frank Wren. Maybe Bossman Jr. is next?

It's interesting how rednecks are either ripped or morbidly obese. Must be how the body metabolizes moonshine.
  • Options
    Don't nirm post this kind of stuff but I thought it was interesting:

In 1947 ten comic strip artists were asked to draw their characters blindfolded
  • Options

Wow, that's really cool. Most look to me like they're Picasso's take on the characters. :-)
  • Options

Tonebone said:

luke52 said:

I've just been reading some old Ragman floppies from the early 90s. One of my favorite things about reading old floppies is checking out the old ads. Also have a load of Iron Man books from the 70s, cool ads.

Does the Millennium also print the ads or just story conent? I would love to flick through the ads from a 1938 comic.

I think it reprints the ads.
    Just pulled out my copy to double-check, but no, it does not reprint the ads—only one 1/4-page house ad that ran underneath the last page of a story.
    You win this one, Weathington. But watch. your. back.

:)
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

luke52 said:

I've just been reading some old Ragman floppies from the early 90s. One of my favorite things about reading old floppies is checking out the old ads. Also have a load of Iron Man books from the 70s, cool ads.

Does the Millennium also print the ads or just story conent? I would love to flick through the ads from a 1938 comic.

I think it reprints the ads.
    Just pulled out my copy to double-check, but no, it does not reprint the ads—only one 1/4-page house ad that ran underneath the last page of a story.
    You win this one, Weathington. But watch. your. back.

:)
    Yeah, that’s what the last guy to challenge me said. Now he spends his days replacing the broken tape on the bagged back issues of his local comic shop...

...because that’s all he was good for after I got through with him. >:)
  • Options

Back in college, we had a challenge kinda like this in my art classes. The teacher had us try it, and the drawings were awful.

The teacher had us do it a second time, this time with the rule of not lifting our pencils off the paper.

It was shocking how much better round 2 was. The drawings did have odd lines connecting eyes to the outline of the heads, but they were far more accurate. Seems lifting the pencil off the page completely throws the sense of placement and position off.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Back in college, we had a challenge kinda like this in my art classes. The teacher had us try it, and the drawings were awful.

The teacher had us do it a second time, this time with the rule of not lifting our pencils off the paper.

It was shocking how much better round 2 was. The drawings did have odd lines connecting eyes to the outline of the heads, but they were far more accurate. Seems lifting the pencil off the page completely throws the sense of placement and position off.
    My art teacher did the same thing but it was with every drawing/sketch, if he saw you lift your pencil at all you got a lecture and points taken off your project.