Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Candidates For The Cancellation Calvacade

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I read ASW in trade and I think it's either one of the editor's favorites or it's simply a case of them wanting to put quality before quantity on a title. A rare thing, indeed! :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm not saying "Superior Foes" is as good as Hawkeye but it has the same sort of vibe. I wish it was getting the same sort of support from readers.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    mwhitt80 said:

I am surprised All Star Western has made it this far.

DC did this with the previous Jonah Hex series. It didn't sell well either

Last I saw, ASW was still selling better than Hex did towards the end, so it's probably not in any danger yet.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    kfreeman said:

I just discovered Superior Foes of Spider-Man and am digging it so far. Would be disappointed if it disappears.

Tell all your friends! Heck, buy all your friends a copy! Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of my favourite titles at the moment and I don 't want it to go away either!

Everything else on that list... I would shed no tears.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2014
    I really cannot add anything to this discussion except for a few questions and comments. I know some folks simply buy a #1 issue and do it only for the speculative purpose of it being an investment. #1 issues of any popular character will tend to be of higher value. They never look back and buy another issue. This may be another reason for the drop off or why retailers buy fewer copies of #2, #3, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I've gotten into the habit of buying the first few issues of book that I'm interested in only to discover that once I get around to catching up to it (I'm behind on my reading, but nowhere as behind as @Adam_Murdough ...) I'm really not into it and drop it from my pull list. This may also be part of the drop off phenom. Even when there has been no change whatsoever to the creative team.

Finally, books are getting expensive these days. And I go through periods where I am ordering a bunch of stuff, only to realize after few months I need to cut back. Where do I cut though? The decision is sometimes made to cut a book at the end of an arc or when the creative team changes. Seems like a good jumping-off point. I've tried to cut Superior Spider-Man a few times, but it keeps pulling me back in...

May I also say that I'm hoping Superior Foes of Spider-Man continues long after Superior Spider-Man inevitably ends.

And... SPOILER ALERT

Looks like the cancelled Green Team is going to figure prominently in the Teen Titans relaunch... which could open up some interesting possibilities, if anyone is still reading DC books...

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

2- All-Star Western -- #25 drops 3.1% to 13,937 copies. Down 13.9% over six months.

Death spiral began when the book stopped being All-Star Western and became All-Star Modern.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I have the first three issues of a lot of titles because it takes that long for the DCBS shipments to catch up. i get the first issue and drop it but still have the next two in the queue.
  • Options

I really cannot add anything to this discussion except for a few questions and comments. I know some folks simply buy a #1 issue and do it only for the speculative purpose of it being an investment. #1 issues of any popular character will tend to be of higher value. They never look back and buy another issue. This may be another reason for the drop off or why retailers buy fewer copies of #2, #3, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I've gotten into the habit of buying the first few issues of book that I'm interested in only to discover that once I get around to catching up to it (I'm behind on my reading, but nowhere as behind as @Adam_Murdough ...) I'm really not into it and drop it from my pull list. This may also be part of the drop off phenom. Even when there has been no change whatsoever to the creative team.

Finally, books are getting expensive these days. And I go through periods where I am ordering a bunch of stuff, only to realize after few months I need to cut back. Where do I cut though? The decision is sometimes made to cut a book at the end of an arc or when the creative team changes. Seems like a good jumping-off point. I've tried to cut Superior Spider-Man a few times, but it keeps pulling me back in...

May I also say that I'm hoping Superior Foes of Spider-Man continues long after Superior Spider-Man inevitably ends.

And... SPOILER ALERT

Looks like the cancelled Green Team is going to figure prominently in the Teen Titans relaunch... which could open up some interesting possibilities, if anyone is still reading DC books...

@bralinator You may like this article then:

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50587

Basically they talk about how Superior Foes was originally going to be a 12 issue run but has been expanded... Does this mean Marvel will kill it at 13? Possibly, but I doubt they'd be doing PR for a dead book. I'd say its safe to at least 18.
  • Options
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Basically they talk about how Superior Foes was originally going to be a 12 issue run but has been expanded... Does this mean Marvel will kill it at 13? Possibly, but I doubt they'd be doing PR for a dead book. I'd say its safe to at least 18.

I'll be surprised if Superior Foes makes it past 12, stunned if it goes to 18.
    Super happy, but stunned none the less.

Thanks for the link!
  • Options

...DC titles circling the drain:

1- The Movement -- Still #1 on the list as Issue 6 falls to 7,957 copies, losing another 12.7% readers and a loss of 72.8% since the title began. This Movement is only going one way, sad to say.

The Movement issue #9 is out this week, and features for the next two issues Batgirl. DC Comics hasn't bothered telling too many people about it apparently.

So if there are any CGS faithful readers of Batgirl, you may want to pick up The Movement for the next couple of issues. That is if your store or outlet has any of the 7,000+ copies that were ordered.

The take-away I got from this news is that the much-maligned DC book will apparently outlast The Green Team, and Marvel's Morbius, and could possibly even outrun Marvel's Fearless Defenders - if it can make it past issue #12.

Ever the champion/cheerleaders for just this sort of book, BleedingCool.com tells us that "this issue also features a superhero in a wheelchair and that one of the characters 'is getting laid'. so that should be fun too." Can you tell they love The Movement over at BleedingCool.com?

Make it stop.

-------------------

By the way @Chuck_Melville, I appreciate you consistently posting these sales stats. Please keep it up.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

DC swung the ax this month.
    comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50425

Teen Titans
    Suicide Squad
    Nightwing
    Superman Unchained
    Stormwatch
    And JLA (which is getting a relaunch)

I missed the news about Teen Titans until today, I've had a subscription for a while now, the story has been pretty good but never seemed to find a solid foothold, just kind of all over the place. I hope when they relaunch they get rid of the Tron-esque glowing piping on all the costumes.

• Options

DC titles circling the drain:

The Movement -- Still #1 on the list as Issue 6 falls to 7,957 copies, losing another 12.7% readers and a loss of 72.8% since the title began. This Movement is only going one way, sad to say.

Cancellation was announced by Gail Simone today
  • Options

DC titles circling the drain:

The Movement -- Still #1 on the list as Issue 6 falls to 7,957 copies, losing another 12.7% readers and a loss of 72.8% since the title began. This Movement is only going one way, sad to say.

Cancellation was announced by Gail Simone today
    I'm sorry to hear that. I thought it was one of the more interesting of the New52 books. But, as I'd been saying, I'm not really surprised either.
  • Options
    I appreciate DC trying different things, but this just didn't interest me. It also didn't interest me when DC marketed it as a superhero version of the Occupy movement either.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Trillionaires? It should have been "Meet the .001%"
  • Options
    It's interesting to note that if you earn $25,000 a year, you make more than 98% of the world's population. So I guess I'm technically in the 2%.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    A little late in appearing, but here are the results from December sales, and a few new candidates moving into the Seats of Imminent Cancellation.

First, a quick reminder that I'm only noting the mainstream DC and Marvel titles here -- no Digital Firsts, Vertigo, Max, Johnny DC or Ultimates since most of these fall under different rules of sales, distribution and cancellation.

Let’s start with the top six DC titles at the bottom:

1- The Movement -- Still hanging on to the top bottom slot with 7,252 copies, dropping 8.9% from last month and 59.7% over six months. Doomed.
    2- Batwing -- #26 drops a heavy 33.7% to 10,753 copies to vie for the top slot. That’s a six-month loss of 13.5%.
    3- All-Star Western #26, continues to slide 3.6% to 13,440 copies. Six month drop of 14.9%. Readers just aren’t digging Hex’s journey to the present.
    4- Larfleeze #6 is also slipping quickly, selling only 15,081 copies. That’s a monthly loss of 6.7% and six month loss of 58.8%.
    5- Birds Of Prey makes its first entry onto the list with #26.17,497 copies. A drop of 23.1%, six month fall of 15.8%.
    6- Superboy #26 only managed 17,690 units, dropping 17.5%, and falling 15.6% over six months.

Just to note, for the curious, the already-cancelled Green Team dropped so hard this month that it didn’t even make it on the top 300 list. Ouch!

Meanwhile back at Marvel, the list doesn’t really change very much except that the numbers are lower:

1- Avengers AI #7 – Clings tightly to the top of the list. 19,879 units, still beating all of the DC listers above, but dropping another .8% and has a six-month loss of 70.8%! REALLY DOOMED!!
    2- Superior Foes Of Spider-Man -- #7. 20,858 units. Down 2.4%; six-month drop of 66%. Not looking good.
    3- Thunderbolts -- #19 moved 24,559 units. Drops 5.8% for the month and 18.5% over six.
    4- Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #8. 24,296 copies. Drops 4.8%, six-month loss of 9.3%.
    5- Savage Wolverine #13 - 27,490 units, falling 7.6%. Six month drop of 53.7%.
    6- Nova -- #11 sold 27,982,units. Drops 14.5% (Infinity is over) and takes a six-month fall of 23.4%

Information here is based on numbers presented in monthly columns by Frans van der Strack and Paul O'Brien for The Beat.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    And, almost immediately, we already have the returns for January!

And right off the bat, we have confirmed cancellations! The Movement has moved off into comic limbo! Avengers AI has had its plug pulled! The Superior Spider-Man Team-Up has been broken! In spite of a miscommunication, it would appear that All-Star Western has not been cancelled. And although I haven’t seen a cancellation notice, I don’t see Superior Foes Of Spider-Man anywhere at all; does anyone have word on that title’s fate?

As always, a quick reminder that I'm only noting the mainstream DC and Marvel titles here -- no Digital Firsts, Vertigo, Max, Johnny DC or Ultimates since most of these fall under different rules of sales, distribution and cancellation.

Spinning into view – the six DC books most in jeopardy:

1- Batwing 27 takes the top slot with 12,461 copies. Ironically, this is actually a kick up from last month, a 15.9% gain, thanks to Gothtopia; a 3.3% gain for six months. Despite its position on the list, which is a precarious one, its recent numbers have been bouncing up and down, making it look almost stable. It may be safe for a while longer… maybe…
    2- All-Star Western -- #27 creeps closer to the top spot with 13,238 units, dropping 1.5%. That’s a six-month loss of 13.9%. There’s a move to take Hex back to his proper time; maybe that’ll help boost the numbers.
    3- Larfleeze #7 slides 7.5% to 13,950 copies. Six month drop of 61.9%. There are two other titles ahead of it in the list, but… DOOMED!!!.
    4- Superboy #27 leapfrogs two slots, selling only 17,392 copies. That’s a monthly loss of 1.7% and six month loss of 13%.
    5- Triad Of Sin: Phantom Stranger returns with #15. 17,453 copies. A drop of 6.5%, six month fall of 15.5%. Follow him not.
    6- Triad Of Sin: Pandora #7 debuts on the list, right behind it’s companion TOS book. 18,984 units, dropping 7.7%, and falling 54.5% over six months. It’s a good thing there aren’t three of these Triad books…

Just to note, the top slots of the top 300 were pretty much dominated by Batman and the Justice League, which means, regardless of what I think of them, they are certainly connecting with their readers. I’m only surprised that DC hasn’t yet capitalized on this by coming out with Batman & The Justice League . It has winner written all over it!

Gothtopia also did a favor for Birds Of Prey, kicking it way off of the Carousel for the foreseeable future.

And the late, lamented Green Team closes out with its last issue falling way off of the top 300 with a dismal 4,313 units. It was a noble try.

Elsewhere, Marvel’s bottommost line has almost completely changed:

1- Nova #12 rockets into first position with a measly 25,043 units (which outsells anything in the DC list above). That’s a 10.5 monthly drop and a six-month fall of 26.8%. Not healthy, but with over 25,000 sales, I can’t see it in danger just yet, regardless of it’s list position. (Same might be said of most of the following as well.)
    2- Thunderbolts came out twice – and these twice-monthly titles give me a headache when figuring out their positions. #20 came up in sales (28,994) and #21 dropped back (24,293), essentially canceling out perfectly all of its one-issue gains. A one-month move of 0%. However, for six months, it still falls 18.2%. (#20 was apparently a .NOW issue.)
    3- Mighty Avengers leaps onto the list with #5 (never a good sign when a relatively new title enters the list so soon), moving 30,251 units. Not bad numbers, actually; it’s merits the list only because of so much recent attrition of other books. However – it drops 15.4% for the month and 70.3% over six. Not healthy!
    4- Savage Wolverine #14 claws its way up a notch with 30,370 copies. That’s actually a gain of 10.5%, though a six-month loss of 20.5%.
    5- Iron Man #20.INH – Getting no help from Inhumanity, one of Marvel’s iconic heroes moves 30,512 units, falling only .1% with a six month drop of 16.1%. Not entirely bad, but when one of Marvel’s oldest heroes drops this low…
    6- The Indestructible Hulk is also showing signs of not being quite so indestructible. #18.INH, also getting no help from Inhumanity, sold 33,056,units. Drops 7.4% and takes a six-month fall of 24.3%. That’s two Marvel icons in the List of Imminent Doom!

Information here is based on numbers presented in monthly columns by Dave Carter and Jason Enright for The Beat.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

6- The Indestructible Hulk is also showing signs of not being quite so indestructible. #18.INH, also getting no help from Inhumanity, sold 33,056,units. Drops 7.4% and takes a six-month fall of 24.3%. That’s two Marvel icons in the List of Imminent Doom!

Indestructible Hulk is ending with issue 20, and the first issue of Waid's next chapter was just solicited in the Feb Previews as HULK.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I really enjoy this thread and appreciate all the effort you put into it, Chuck!

I've not heard anything about Superior Foes of Spider-Man's fate. It seems to be the general consensus that Marvel believes in this title and is giving it a long leash. For one, I'm very glad about this because I decided to trade-wait on it. Maybe that makes me part of the problem, but it took me about six months to have finally heard enough good things about it. I'll be buying the TPB from InStockTrades soon, and I hope the series will continue on for a while afterwards.

As for the rest of the list, I could take some potshots about some of these titles, many of which I think are awful, and whose creative personnel I think are grossly overrated, but every book is someone's favorite, so I'll just bite my tongue for now. I do think it's very noteworthy that the lowest selling Marvel titles are still head and shoulders above the lowest selling DC titles.
  • Options
    I suspect Superior Foes will get a relaunch of some sort. The tpb volume one collects issues 1 - 6, but volume 2, coming in August collects 7-15 (9 issues). I expect it will end, under its current banner, with issue 15 and get a relaunch.

Amazon TPB listing
  • Options
    I've been enjoying Thunderbolts and, to a lesser extant, Might Avengers. I'll be disappointed if they get the axe.
  • Options
    Superior Foes of Spiderman is one of the best books out there. I literally "LOL" at least once each issue. And by "literally" I mean, you know ... "literally," and not the Rob Lowe/Parks N Rec type of "literally."
  • Options
    If they cancel All-Star Western, I will be left with Batman & ******* as the only DC book on my pull list (Although, I get He-Man too, I guess that technically counts as a DC book). I actually think making Hex come into the modern day New 52 hurt the book. The opening issues taking place in Old Gotham were awesome, but bringing him to modern times to interact with the current bastardized versions of the DCU was a bad move. I'm also missing the backup featuring the more obscure Western characters.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

If they cancel All-Star Western, I will be left with Batman & ******* as the only DC book on my pull list (Although, I get He-Man too, I guess that technically counts as a DC book). I actually think making Hex come into the modern day New 52 hurt the book. The opening issues taking place in Old Gotham were awesome, but bringing him to modern times to interact with the current bastardized versions of the DCU was a bad move. I'm also missing the backup featuring the more obscure Western characters.

They're bringing the backups back. José Luis García-López is doing one with Madame .44.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Also Palmiotti said in the comments section of The Beat that "Hex is back in the old west as of issue 28."

I might use that as a point to jump on.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245

They're bringing the backups back. José Luis García-López is doing one with Madame .44.
    Dropping the backups and moving him to modern times really messed up a good book. Will fixing these problems bring me back? Doubtful.
  • Options

That's damn good to hear. Without the backups you might as well just call the book Jonah Hex. Which is fine, I've been buying JH since #1 when Graymiotti launched it, but i liked the idea of the obscure characters getting the spotlight too.

I really doubt All-Star Western will get cancelled through. I think it gets some special treatment due to being the only Western book on the stands. That and its sales have always been just good enough to merit its existence. That's what I heard about the old Jonah Hex book anyway, but that could have been when the movie was in development.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I real All-Star Western in trade, so I'd imagine the timejump for me will occur in a single trade. I can live with that.

And as others have said - the backups are great. More bang for the buck.