Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

EDIT-- A reminder: please label at the top of your post what episode you are talking about/up to, so that those watching the show at different paces can skip a post that will spoil, and find it again later.

Also, to avoid spoiling others because it sounds like big things happen in that one, a separate discussion for Episode 12 can be found here. Thanks!

Go for it.

And as we will all be watching these at a different pace, I would suggest putting a header at the top with either what episode you are commenting on, or if you are making general reviews, then what episode you are up to. Thanks. I will start a sample one below:

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Episode 1:

Can't wait. Wish I was watching it right now.

In a mixed blessing, my wife is excited for this, too. Which is good, as it is something to enjoy together, it also means I will be getting through this much more slowly, as we get very little awake time these days.

(And with Game of Thrones starting on Sunday...)

Looking forward to catching up on the discussion later. Enjoy!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Episode 1:

Loved it!

Right down to the little tid bits harking back to the Avengers movie, setting the scene and timeline.

One episode in I already know. This'll be great.

Enough of this though, onto episode two!!!
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited April 2015
    Episodes 1 - 4

Loving it so far all the hand to hand fights have been amazing like Captain America Winter Soldier good. Matt, Foggy are both great individual and together.

And the Kingpin is fantastic as well episode 4 is the first time you really see him do stuff and just by that little he already seems more like Kingpin then the movie version.

I definitely think Daredevil lends himself more to a TV show than a movie because you can do the police drama staring a superhero better in that format then movies IMO.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Episode 1 watched and loved.

This looks like it could be the most authentically Marvel project yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The contrivance of using the Battle of Midtown to explain the re-helling of Hell's Kitchen is freaking brilliant, BTW.

And the "yeah that happened" attitude is so New York.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

The contrivance of using the Battle of Midtown to explain the re-helling of Hell's Kitchen is freaking brilliant, BTW.

Episode 1

And that it also set up an environment for corruption and chaotic circumstances for criminals to operate. I loved that, too.

My only nitpick, and it relates to this and is really probably only going to stand out if you live here, is that the geography was off. The battle in Avengers was very much Midtown East, around Grand Central (and I feel like 'half of New York *wasnt* destroyed in that fight. It was a big deal, but contained in a way I like.). So it actually shouldn't be affecting Hell's Kitchen, which is the far west side of Manhattan. I feel like it was clear in Avengers they stayed east of Times Square.

Again, though, minor and nitpicky. I love this show. More thoughts later.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Episode 1

And that it also set up an environment for corruption and chaotic circumstances for criminals to operate. I loved that, too.

My only nitpick, and it relates to this and is really probably only going to stand out if you live here, is that the geography was off. The battle in Avengers was very much Midtown East, around Grand Central (and I feel like 'half of New York *wasnt* destroyed in that fight. It was a big deal, but contained in a way I like.). So it actually shouldn't be affecting Hell's Kitchen, which is the far west side of Manhattan. I feel like it was clear in Avengers they stayed east of Times Square.

Again, though, minor and nitpicky. I love this show. More thoughts later.
    Forgivable.

A bit of auto-hoisting on the old petard, what with the Avengers battle being so beautifully place-specific.

Our Midtown meander a few weeks before the movie sure was a nice unintentional enhancement to my movie-going experience!
  • Options
    The lighting!

So gorgeous.

It looks like an Alex Maleev comic.
  • Options
    And despite the slight geographical fudging, I'm so pleased by the continuation of the theme of there being consequences of all this super-stuff.

Iron Man 3, Cap 2 and especially Agents of SHIELD have all used world-wrecking as a tool for world-building, but they've all been mostly looking down from the big picture.

Now we're in the picture, having this shit done around us, and just trying to cope.

Brilliant.

• Options
    Just one more tonight.

I want to make this last a bit.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I love the deadpan snarker that is Leland.
  • Options
    Exhaustion trumps enjoyment.

2.5 episodes down.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Going to try and mainline the whole thing tomorrow... So excited.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Episode 1 - fantastic. This was so, so good. The wife and I will probably do these one per day. The goal is to savor it.

And Age of Ultron is a mere 3 weeks away.

Marvel is crushing it.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Not sure how many of you visit the comiXology sale thread, but this is on until the 12th.

Also, the following DD collections are also on sale for $5:
    Daredevil: Born Again (reg. 14.99)
    Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Johnson vol. 1 (reg. 24.99)
    Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev vol. 1 (reg. 29.99)
    Daredevil by Mark Waid vol. 1 (Waid 2011 series) (reg. 10.99)
    Daredevil vol. 1: Devil at Bay (Waid 2014 series) (reg. 17.99)
    Daredevil: Guardian Devil (Smith & Quesada) (reg. 14.99)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Not a single bad issue in all of those collections.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Only watched the first episode, don't want burn through the series too fast. Really good start.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Episode 1 and 2

Agreed with @WetRats that the geography fudge is forgivable (and, again, a minor retcon. And worth it for that continuing idea of the fallout of what happened in New York. I love that mentioning that roots this show in the cinematic universe without having to actually name drop Iron Man or Thor, or say things like 'Aliens!', all things that would feel out of place in this show.

As with all the best runs on DD, this show so far feels like it is being space to be its own thing. Which is excellent.

Love the cast (even if Cox occasionally sounds like an English spy. Heck, maybe it will turn out Murdock did a year in Oxford after law school and picked up a little accent), the look, and the fighting style. I like the not over-the-top way that they portray his senses.

And I am glad they've got a strong DP. The look is cinematic and noirish, but not so dark that you can't see the acting.

My wife, who knows from these things, says the test is can the lighting look dark and moody, but you can still see light reflected in the actors' eyes. And this does that. Gotham to me, in the few episodes I saw, did the overlit version of dark. That makes everything look like a set. The network version of dark and gritty. Where DD goes for it in a way that trusts the audience to watch more closely.

My only reservation, as of the end of E2, is the torture scene. I'm not saying it didn't fit, but it really surprised me. I hope it doesn't become a regular thing. Or is even something Murdock confesses later. I know that they had a sort of high stakes, 'ticking time bomb' scenario to save the kid, but I don't need DD to be Punisher. Hopefully this sort of thing will be the exception, given the drive to save the boy, and not his regular MO.

And that final sequence, from the fighting, to the rescue, gave me chills. Great mix of action, and then emotional release.

Looking forward to more. I love the confidence they have to go 2 episodes without even showing Fisk yet.

• Options
    mphil said:

Going to try and mainline the whole thing tomorrow... So excited.

Courage.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Okay, that fight scene in the hallway in ep 2 was pretty epic.

I notice that one of the show's writers is Christos Gage.

I get that the show is supposed to be dark, but a bit more contrast in lighting would be appreciated.

Enjoying the show thus far.
  • Options
    Fight scene almost at the very beginning of episode 1, yes! I thought we were going to have a prolonged origin story.
  • Options
    Four in.

Still enjoying it, although I continue to not be a fan of D'Onofrio. He's so busy being "soulful" that I can't see any inner strength to his character. The explosion of brutality seemed more like a petty expression of impotence than an act of power. So far, I find him the first weak point in the series.

Ben Urich, on the other hand is excellent, both as written and as performed. My favorite character at this point.
  • Options
    mphil said:

Fight scene almost at the very beginning of episode 1, yes! I thought we were going to have a prolonged origin story.

The structure of this series is excellent. Seems like they have really figured out how to write for the Netflix Series Dump format. TV version of writing for the trade, as it were.
  • Options
    Love the Murdock / Foggy relationship already.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

mphil said:

The structure of this series is excellent. Seems like they have really figured out how to write for the Netflix Series Dump format. TV version of writing for the trade, as it were.
    Yeah, love it when they skip the back story and go straight into the plot.
  • Options
    mphil said:

WetRats said:

mphil said:

Knowing that you have X number of episodes to tell your story guaranteed must be so freeing to a writer.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    mphil said:

WetRats said:

mphil said:

Wouldn't the back story be part of the plot?
  • Options

mphil said:

WetRats said:

mphil said:

Wouldn't the back story be part of the plot?
    No. Back story is character/atmosphere. Which is great, but distinct from plot.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    WetRats said:

Still enjoying it, although I continue to not be a fan of D'Onofrio. He's so busy being "soulful" that I can't see any inner strength to his character. The explosion of brutality seemed more like a petty expression of impotence than an act of power. So far, I find him the first weak point in the series.

His "Assistant" more than makes up for it in my eyes.