Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

Comments

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZp1aCR3K1c
    DARE DEVIL: Law & Order version

Nice. It's just like I imagined it...except Richard Belzer as Ben and a head-shaved Robert Goren as Fisk.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Pleeaase bring on the Punisher and please do him justice. He's not a cartoon or a super hero or child friendly. And ease off the awful stereotype "mobster" cliche villains.
    I nominate joe manganiello for frank. Guys a beast.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Give us Franken Castle
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited May 2015
    batlaw said:

Pleeaase bring on the Punisher and please do him justice. He's not a cartoon or a super hero or child friendly. And ease off the awful stereotype "mobster" cliche villains.

Hell yes on your Joe suggestion!

Heh. "beast". Was that intentional, @batlaw ?
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I have skimmed thru this thread only very recently to avoid spoilers as I catch up to everyone- I am finally ready to post here. I'm through episode 12, so spoiler warning if you're not that far, but most appear to be done with the season.

I got Netflix specifically for this show (and will be able to catch up on much, much more). I'm not a binge-watcher but I'm finding my pace generally is a few episodes a week. I am loving this show and I think it's as good if not better than anything Marvel Studios has ever produced. I'm really enjoying the "produced for streaming" format- all the episodes out at once, no forced cliffhangers for commercial breaks, no plot-foreshadowing "pre-cap" before the show begins and no teaser for next week.. Basically if you can avoid the online chatter (which I can), your experience is enhanced by the format. Weekly network TV IMO just reveals so much in their teases and recaps. I understand why they do it- there is just so much competition out there on TV and off for viewers attentions, but it detracts from my personal experience so I try to avoid them. No such issue with this show and I suspect the same is true for the other Netflix original series that I'm excited to jump into now.

Several times I have found myself just saying "wow" at some of the cinematography and lighting choices- the shot of Fisk sitting in the chair at the end of ep 12 being the latest example, with his face half-receding into the darkness. Brilliant. There have been many others.

I will say I was very disappointed to see a certain character leave the building in ep 12. It was a character rich with possibilities that I thought they could have done so much with- not to mention the great acting job turned in by Vondie Curtis-Hall. Felt like a misstep to me, but everything else has been so strong that I trust that the show will continue in a great direction. There have been other surprises even for seasoned DD fans- Karen Page's arc anyone? - so I am considering this as another one of those, and we'll see where things lead. I could be of a different opinion after watching the final episode.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2015
    @hornhead - To see more talk about the 12th episode, you should also check out a separate discussion (made in the early days to help the fast-bingers not spoil those of us that are slowly making our way through) of episode 12 specifically. Although now that the show has been available for awhile, there is also a lot of full season talk in this main discussion, too.

You can find that older thread here.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/5/31/a-look-inside-marvels-phase-2-of-netflix-shows

sounds like Marvel Studios does not really like Marvel TV...

"Rumor has it that Kevin Feige over at Marvel looks down on the TV side of the franchise, but has come to accept it as somewhat of a “necessary evil,” since Disney demands it. And with ABC insisting on getting their words in, it appears that there may be too many cooks in the kitchen for everyone’s tastes."
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Probably explains why there were no call-backs to AoS in Avengers 2. Nothing at all.
  • Options
    Interesting article. I was wondering if it would be possible for DD to get another season or two under it's belt, do the Elektra saga, and then potentially jump to the big screen for a Born Again adaptation which could include actors from the other films, and bring him into contact with Black Widow.

But who knows how these things develop. I am just happy that there's so much Marvel films and TV out now and that I'm enjoying pretty much all of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Probably explains why there were no call-backs to AoS in Avengers 2. Nothing at all.

Or, maybe it is because there is a huge international audience for these films, who may not get references to TV shows that might not be airing there yet.

Sure, there are those who might watch these TV shows and these movies simultaneously. But those viewers are a minority of the overall audience. So I can respect the desire to keep the cinematic universe self-contained for the larger cinematic audience.

The TV shows can, and do, say and do things to tie themselves to the movies (sort of like a lower selling book having tie-in issues to a big event), but I don't expect it to go the other way. The Avengers movie had enough to do just tying into the various other movies in the line. I didn't need it to spend time on a TV show many of us don't watch, too.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    David_D said:

Or, maybe it is because there is a huge international audience for these films, who may not get references to TV shows that might not be airing there yet.

Sure, there are those who might watch these TV shows and these movies simultaneously. But those viewers are a minority of the overall audience. So I can respect the desire to keep the cinematic universe self-contained for the larger cinematic audience.

The TV shows can, and do, say and do things to tie themselves to the movies (sort of like a lower selling book having tie-in issues to a big event), but I don't expect it to go the other way. The Avengers movie had enough to do just tying into the various other movies in the line. I didn't need it to spend time on a TV show many of us don't watch, too.
    That makes sense, but doesn't explain why no one even mentioned of Coulson from Nick Fury, or Maria Hill, happened, other than they want to keep them separate. Even avoiding mentioning his brutal death in the last film seems purposeful. When it's the same actors, but corporate wants to pretend its separate while the TV property pretends they're the same, it can be a bit confusing.

And for what it's worth, Agents of SHIELD also plays in the UK, Australia, and Canada, so it has somewhat of an international audience, though clearly not many viewers as their finale was the lowest ratings the series has had to date... ugh.

• Options

David_D said:

That makes sense, but doesn't explain why no one even mentioned of Coulson from Nick Fury, or Maria Hill, happened, other than they want to keep them separate. Even avoiding mentioning his brutal death in the last film seems purposeful. When it's the same actors, but corporate wants to pretend its separate while the TV property pretends they're the same, it can be a bit confusing.

And for what it's worth, Agents of SHIELD also plays in the UK, Australia, and Canada, so it has somewhat of an international audience, though clearly not many viewers as their finale was the lowest ratings the series has had to date... ugh.

And, sure, SHIELD plays to some audiences overseas (though if it is not in China, then these days, that might be justification enough for excluding the connection). But even a majority of the US audience likely doesn't watch the show.

So it makes sense to me-- the smaller thing is hitching its wagon to the star of the bigger thing.

And Coulson arc in the cinematic universe paid off in the first Avengers movie. Personally, I think his showing up and being reunited with the Avengers-- and having to take time to explain or justify his being alive to the majority of the audience-- in the middle of the crisis with Ultron would be an unnecessary distraction in a film that, to me, already had too many such distractions that took us away from the present situation.

I'm glad they didn't do that. When the helicarrier showed up it worked for me inside the logic of the movie: Fury still has friends. And a helicarrier. I can believe that. And, if people want to know the whys and hows of it, they can watch SHIELD and find out.

Again, it is like the main book of an event, and the tie-ins. It is not up to the main book to explain what is going on in the tie-ins. It is up to the tie-ins to find their way to hook onto the bigger thing.

• Options
    I guess it takes a lot to admit when one is mistaken. You should receive multiple no-prizes for the amount of time you've helped explain away any imagined shortcomings from the comic companies.
  • Options
    @David_D must be on every company's payroll. He does give a fair and balanced view of things (even when I don't want it).

Or he works for NPR.
  • Options

I guess it takes a lot to admit when one is mistaken. You should receive multiple no-prizes for the amount of time you've helped explain away any imagined shortcomings from the comic companies.

Oh, I think Age of Ultron has plenty of shortcomings. I just don't think a lack of shoutouts to AoS was one.
  • Options
    As a fair-weather fan of AoS, it's just a little nod I'd liked to have seen.
  • Options
    popestu said:

@David_D must be on every company's payroll. He does give a fair and balanced view of things (even when I don't want it).

Or he works for NPR.

Aww. I bet you talk that way to all the girls :\">
  • Options
    Just finished Episode 13..

"Many Rivers to Cross".. and "Nessun Dorma"..
    Licensing that music for use in the show was money well spent. Magnificent choices.

Can't wait for the next season, and I'll definitely give AKA Jessica Jones a try, although I have zero familiarity with her character save a few New Avengers issues that DD recently appeared in. Might try to give the Bendis Alias series a shot while waiting for it. It's a character I missed completely but have heard many times that that Bendis series is pretty great.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

As a fair-weather fan of AoS, it's just a little nod I'd liked to have seen.

For me, the line about getting the Helicarrier with the help of some "old friends" was a good enough nod. I would have liked a more direct tie-in, but that would be stretching it.
  • Options
    David_D said:

popestu said:

Or he works for NPR.

Aww. I bet you talk that way to all the girls :\">
    Nope. Just the special ones.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    horn head said:

...Might try to give the Bendis Alias series a shot while waiting for it. It's a character I missed completely but have heard many times that that Bendis series is pretty great.

Good call, you are in for a treat. Alias is fantastic, and was out of left field at the time that it came out, different from anything else Marvel was doing at the time. I'm not a huge Bendis fan, but I think Alias was really, really great, and by far his best work.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited June 2015
    batlaw said:

mphil said:

Give us Franken Castle

And the Punisher has been cast.
    Jon Bernthal (aka Shane on the Walking Dead) is their pick. Good choice, IMO.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24699/jon_bernthal_cast_as_frank_castle_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_daredevil
  • Options
    Excellent choice.
  • Options
    Yep. Fine choice
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Will he be zombie-frank?
  • Options