Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Netflix adds audio description track to Daredevil.

Poor reader is gonna go hoarse describing D'Onofrio's twitchy overacting.

:p
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Of all the shots of the New York skyline in this. Not once did I see The Avengers building. Did I miss it or did they miss a trick???
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    One of the little things I loved about this, not really an Easter egg but a cute little nod... Although Fisk was never actually call Kingpin, I love that the camera really emphasised the pin going into the King playing card when Urich made up his wall. The King Pin. Nice touch.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

ok here's what I got from the conversation below matchkitjon:

Somewhere up north there is a reality tv show called CGS House in which all you guys live and share a netflix account, that you use to annoy each other by switching on subtitles (probably in french).

Question: why is this the first time I've learned about CGS House and is this why bryan needs money for video equipment.

This is the true story
    Of 7 strangers
    Picked to live together
    And have their lives taped (thanks, Bryan)
    To find out what happens when people stop being polite
    And start getting real
    The Real World of CGS House

;)
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I'm on episode 4. This show kicks Arrow and Flash's ass, hands down.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    popestu said:

Oh hell yeah.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

The lighting!

So gorgeous.

It looks like an Alex Maleev comic.

That's it! I was trying to figure out the lighting. My default way Miller, but it didn't sit well with me. Maleev is spot on @WetRats .
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    luke52 said:

One of the little things I loved about this, not really an Easter egg but a cute little nod... Although Fisk was never actually call Kingpin, I love that the camera really emphasised the pin going into the King playing card when Urich made up his wall. The King Pin. Nice touch.

Yeah I was floored they never once worked the name kingpin into it anywhere. I totally expected them to at the end when he's wearing the white jail suit. Thought another inmate was going to say he looked like a bowling pin or something and Fisk would kill him and say... "The Kingpin". Or something.
  • Options
    I like that the fighting style is close, quick, and tight (that's what she said). Very uncomic booky. I can't wait for the billy club.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Four in.

Still enjoying it, although I continue to not be a fan of D'Onofrio. He's so busy being "soulful" that I can't see any inner strength to his character. The explosion of brutality seemed more like a petty expression of impotence than an act of power. So far, I find him the first weak point in the series.

Ben Urich, on the other hand is excellent, both as written and as performed. My favorite character at this point.

Great casting and portrayal. His intro @ the waterfront was perfect.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Another random point...I choked up when Matty found his father's body; "Daddy, daddy, daddy!" No on screen portrayal of Bruce Wayne's parents murder ever hit me like that. =((
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I note that the offices of Alias investigations is directly across the hall from those of Nelson and Murdock
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Caliban said:

I note that the offices of Alias investigations is directly across the hall from those of Nelson and Murdock

It's Atlas Investments. I watched that scene a couple times to make certain.

M
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Matt said:

Caliban said:

M
    Yup, I got that one wrong. Apparently it's an oblique reference to one of the ancestor comic companies that became Marvel
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Matt said:

Caliban said:

M
    Yup, I got that one wrong. Apparently it's an oblique reference to one of the ancestor comic companies that became Marvel
    I'm at least glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was Alias Investigations!

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    popestu said:

As much as I enjoyed the entire DD series, I still prefer Flash as the best of the comic book shows currently running right now. More my speed, you might say...

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

popestu said:

As much as I enjoyed the entire DD series, I still prefer Flash as the best of the comic book shows currently running right now. More my speed, you might say...

I'm enjoying both and hope to see them continue. Flash is colorful but a bit silly at times, which is a good fit, but it often seems squarely aimed at teens to twenty-something's. The bar scenes, the soap opera mini-arcs, especially the guys at Star Labs making a synthetic alcohol so Barry can get a buzz... Stuff like that. While Daredevil is more procedural and gritty/realistic, which seems appropriate to the Frank Miller interpretation of the character. Very violent, a dark/night palette, salty language, and no obvious powers (magic hammer, iron suits of armor, etc)

I'm not watching Arrow or Gotham, so I cannot speak to those. Won't return to Gotham. Have yet to watch Arrow. I actually like Flash so much that I'm miffed that he actor isn't being considered in WB's plans for the feature film.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    popestu said:

Perhaps. But while I'll watch DD by myself, I can watch The Flash with my kids.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @playdohsrepublic I've been watching on my PS3, though I have a Netgear streaming box (it's like a Roku) & I can stream Netflix through my Cable company Tivo and haven't tried them yet.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

i'm only 4 episodes in... but can u imagine a a long form Netflix Batman TV series? It would be amazing!!! maybe 12 episodes of batman year one ... the possibilities r endless!!!

I'm actually hoping they wouldn't. I'm fairly certain it just wouldn't turn out the way I would want it.

M

• Options

popestu said:

I think both have done an excellent job of portraying the core aspects of their respective heroes.

Flash is certainly more fun, but Daredevil is a work of art.
  • Options
    Matt said:

bamfbamf said:

i'm only 4 episodes in... but can u imagine a a long form Netflix Batman TV series? It would be amazing!!! maybe 12 episodes of batman year one ... the possibilities r endless!!!

I'm actually hoping they wouldn't. I'm fairly certain it just wouldn't turn out the way I would want it.

M
    So if it doesn't rate the Matt Seal of Approval, it shouldn't exist?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

bamfbamf said:

M
    So if it doesn't rate the Matt Seal of Approval, it shouldn't exist?
    That's just space between those lines; nothing to read. I'm merely voicing my opinion that given a choice, I wouldn't choose to do so.

If made, I'd probably just skip it like I do the other 2 Batman shows airing right now.

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    WetRats said:

I think both have done an excellent job of portraying the core aspects of their respective heroes.

I'll agree with that. That's what I like most about the current crop of superhero shows (Gotham notwithstanding), that they do capture the core aspects so faithfully. Flash, Arrow, Daredevil, SHIELD, Constantine... love 'em all.

• Options
    Matt said:

If made, I'd probably just skip it like I do the other 2 Batman shows airing right now.

M

Gotham & Arrow?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Gotham & Arrow?
    Correct. Although the chap in Persons of Interest does Batman-type stuff, I don't lump that show in with my comment.

M
  • Options
    popestu said:

Another random point...I choked up when Matty found his father's body; "Daddy, daddy, daddy!" No on screen portrayal of Bruce Wayne's paerts murder ever hit me like that. =((

Matt said:

Caliban said:

Matt said:

Caliban said:

M
    I'm at least glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was Alias Investigations!

M
    But it would be cooler if it were Alias...
  • Options

popestu said:

I'm enjoying both and hope to see them continue. Flash is colorful but a bit silly at times, which is a good fit, but it often seems squarely aimed at teens to twenty-something's. The bar scenes, the soap opera mini-arcs, especially the guys at Star Labs making a synthetic alcohol so Barry can get a buzz... Stuff like that. While Daredevil is more procedural and gritty/realistic, which seems appropriate to the Frank Miller interpretation of the character. Very violent, a dark/night palette, salty language, and no obvious powers (magic hammer, iron suits of armor, etc)

I'm not watching Arrow or Gotham, so I cannot speak to those. Won't return to Gotham. Have yet to watch Arrow. I actually like Flash so much that I'm miffed that he actor isn't being considered in WB's plans for the feature film.
    The DC shows feel very Smallville (which I couldn't stand) and Dawson's creek (I could stand it even less...although I enjoyed Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23, but I digress) .
    Gotham's ages and timelines really annoy me. Gotham feels almost like the Ultimate Universe; squeeze a boatload of references and people into each story and it will be hip. I feel this show could have been done better; more Gotham Central.
    DD could be very Law and Order. Instead of cops during the first half and court the second, it would be vigilantism in the first half and court the second. I'm not saying DD should be a Law and Order ripoff, but a parody episode would be funny.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

popestu said:

Perhaps. But while I'll watch DD by myself, I can watch The Flash with my kids.
    Good point. My nephew loved Arrow and loves Flash even more. He's 14.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Gotham & Arrow?
    LOL...I know, right