Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

Comments

• Options
    Is it too soon to start speculating on what other Phase 2 shows they might do?

What about now?

(Moonknight)
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    bamfbamf said:
    Notice how DD kicks everyone's ass and then drops off at day 11 or so.
    We all watched it within 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Enter Phase Two of the Netflix branch:

http://www.vigilantist.com/?p=148

M

That could be good. Is Travolta in it?
  • Options
    gland said:

Ah, ok. I didn't realize they had a date for DD2 already. Maybe that'll help give a booster shot to other Netflix Original Marvel stuff that's coming down the line.

The numbers were too high for Netflix not to move forward and strike while things are hot.
  • Options
    popestu said:

bamfbamf said:
    Btw, Kimmy Schmidt is funny. Not 30 rock funny, not even Parks and Rec funny, but funny.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

Enter Phase Two of the Netflix branch:

http://www.vigilantist.com/?p=148

M

This.Is.Awesome.News.

Can Man-Thing, Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider be far behind?

• Options
    I can totally buy Punisher coming next, but somehow I doubt they will expand to more than one more show after that. If all of them are popular that will be six 1/2 shows on Marvel's hands, not to mention AoS and whatever bridge show they do during its winter break. Thats a lot to handle, and I feel like that's also the point of diminishing returns. A new MCU show every two months... Or shows going years between seasons.
  • Options
    I personally don't think AoS is going to last for a third season. As for the Netflix shows, they could take their time developing these shows and release two series per year as AoS goes away.

The decision to pursue a show with Mockingbird instead of Peggy Carter might be a misstep, but I'm confident Marvel knows what they're doing now.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I personally don't think AoS is going to last for a third season. As for the Netflix shows, they could take their time developing these shows and release two series per year as AoS goes away.

The decision to pursue a show with Mockingbird instead of Peggy Carter might be a misstep, but I'm confident Marvel knows what they're doing now.

When I heard there was potentially a spin off, I figured it had to be for Morse. What other character could've held his/her own?

Of course, this could hurt Agent Carter's chances of returning, which would stink.

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Glad the TV branch is expanding. I recall getting into a discussion (he might've seen it as an argument) about "Marvel's" preceding AoS, AC, & DD. he stated its because they didn't have faith in those shows. When I pointed out other media using the same intro (John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Ian Fleming, etc) he advised we weren't talking about those, just Marvel shows.

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2015

Three things.
    -Full season shows rarely get canceled in their 3rd season. 88 episodes is still an important number when it comes to selling a show in syndication. Since ABC owns the show, they have a vested interest in making money with it as long as possible. So ratings are not the only factor. As the studio they also make money on international sales and Netflix deals.
    -A spinoff of Shield shows a certain amount of confidence in the mothership program, so it seems unlikely that cancelation is coming this year.
    -It's the only show ABC has that skews young male and does anything in that demo. It's not a huge hit, but it's become a solid and reliable performer. If they even want to think about launching any male skewing shows in the next few years they'll want to keep it as a lead-in.

Unless it has a complete collapse next year the show will have at least 5 seasons at this point. If it does completely collapse, it will still have 4. (This isn't just blind conjecture, ABC has a history of this exact pattern).

As for Agent Carter, it was always struggling and as shows lose viewers over time, especially short run shows on network, bringing it back would be insane, unless the first season finds a second life on Netflix.
  • Options

Netflix is better off taking their time and become an HBO quality network. The Marvel Knights are not for the networks. There would be too many compromises. MARVEL'S AoS (get it right) is currently in the shape it is because it's a show about government ops with 2 characters from Hogwarts and a PG rating. The FF might work on network. Spidey could pullnoff network with the right creating crew...Peter's life is a soap opera. Matt Murdock's is The Wire* with "action suits".

imageimage
    *I am not comparing The Wire to Netfix's DD. The Wire is the superior show.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    popestu said:

bamfbamf said:
    I've enjoyed bloodlines. Its beautiful show.
  • Options

On the first topic, producing only 2 shows a year would mean 2 1/2-3 years between seasons if they stick with the shows they already talked about. It would be almost impossible to hold on to the actors and showrunners for that long. Or viewer interest, if a show isn't as hot as Daredevil is right now. It would be 18 months at most between seasons. They probably wouldn't even do that. I think they'd cancel a show just to make room before they'd let their hits fade from people's memory, or lose actors to bigger projects. (I'm sure Charlie Cox and Vincent Di'nofrio have had more calls this week than possibly their entire careers previously).
  • Options

On the first topic, producing only 2 shows a year would mean 2 1/2-3 years between seasons if they stick with the shows they already talked about. It would be almost impossible to hold on to the actors and showrunners for that long. Or viewer interest, if a show isn't as hot as Daredevil is right now. It would be 18 months at most between seasons. They probably wouldn't even do that. I think they'd cancel a show just to make room before they'd let their hits fade from people's memory, or lose actors to bigger projects. (I'm sure Charlie Cox and Vincent Di'nofrio have had more calls this week than possibly their entire careers previously).

Wow, @playdohsrepublic - you've totally picked apart my premise. Well, done. By 2 shows a year, I meant developing two new shows a year. If the show gets a second season, hire more people. Are you suggesting they can't create Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, Punisher series'? Will Daredevil last forever? I like the Netflix model. I hope they milk it.

Full season shows rarely get canceled in their 3rd season. 88 episodes is still an important number when it comes to selling a show in syndication. Since ABC owns the show, they have a vested interest in making money with it as long as possible. So ratings are not the only factor. As the studio they also make money on international sales and Netflix deals.

That is absolutely true. It is something I clearly overlooked.

As for Agent Carter, it was always struggling and as shows lose viewers over time, especially short run shows on network, bringing it back would be insane, unless the first season finds a second life on Netflix.

I don't like you anymore!

;)

• Options

Wow, @playdohsrepublic - you've totally picked apart my premise. Well, done. By 2 shows a year, I meant developing two new shows a year. If the show gets a second season, hire more people. Are you suggesting they can't create Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, Punisher series'? Will Daredevil last forever? I like the Netflix model. I hope they milk it.

Lol sorry. I'm a total TV business nerd. As for 2 new shows a year? I have no idea. Netflix has only entered its 3rd season on the oldest shows, they notoriously don't share info about their audience sizes, and how much they even care about that since they are a subscription service. Is House of Cards still bringing in new subs or maintaining brand loyalty to Netflix as a platform? Only the tootsie pop owl knows for sure. So maybe there is an optimal amount of seasons for a show and going beyond that makes little sense for Netflix.

On the Marvel side, there is no ad revenue, the license per episode to Netflix and home video sales are the primary source of revenue there. Which means their budget has a lot to do with how much Netflix wants to pay per episode. Netflix paid 100 million per season for Marco Polo and House of Cards, and Marvel already has a good case for commanding similar money. Is Netflix going to do that 6 times over every year? Maybe. But probably not. So who knows how many shows Marvel can afford to produce a year. (Let's not forget that a Ms. Marvel show is also in development right now, along with another unknown project from John Ridley for ABC) Then there is the fact that Marvel is not a diversified studio. Everything is part of the MCU, which means that the brand and the studio are one and the same. How far do they want to stretch that brand before risking diluting it?How many shows can they produce where simply producing it is still exciting and not "just another Marvel show".

There is a sweet spot in all of this for both Netflix and Marvel. We probably won't know what it is until it's all over.
  • Options
    On a total side note, but related, I just walked past an editing room where they have been working on JJ and I take back every reservation I had about Kristen Ritter. Can't say anything more!
  • Options
    I've been wondering how the Netflix production deals could work. Obviously there is no ad revenue. So what is Netflix's impetus to order another season of these shows? Do they expect to see enough new subscribers to pay so much per episode? Do they pay less per episode in additional seasons, the same, or does the production company have any leverage to demand more?

How long does Marvel have to wait to package Daredevil to DVD/BluRay? Surely Netflix wants to retain the status of being the single source for the program as long as possible. In the meantime, could Marvel create other series and shop them to other networks, such as TNT, A&E, or HBO or do they have exclusivity deals with ABC and now, Netflix?

Theses are just some things I'm curious about.
  • Options

I've been wondering how the Netflix production deals could work. Obviously there is no ad revenue. So what is Netflix's impetus to order another season of these shows? Do they expect to see enough new subscribers to pay so much per episode? Do they pay less per episode in additional seasons, the same, or does the production company have any leverage to demand more?

How long does Marvel have to wait to package Daredevil to DVD/BluRay? Surely Netflix wants to retain the status of being the single source for the program as long as possible. In the meantime, could Marvel create other series and shop them to other networks, such as TNT, A&E, or HBO or do they have exclusivity deals with ABC and now, Netflix?

Theses are just some things I'm curious about.

No one knows the secret internal workings of Netflix. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not it's even profitable in real terms, even if their quarterly reports say they are. But at least previous seasons of House of Cards was out on dvd/blu-Ray, even Amazon digital download (for purchase only) only 3 months after the Netflix debut. I'm sure that Netflix has a window where after a certain amount of time most people who were going to watch have already done so and home media doesn't bite into their viewership, and it's probably 3 months.

And yes there is some leverage on the side of the production company, though less than with a network. When Orange is the New Black became a surprise hit they went back to renegotiate deals, but because Netflix doesn't release data, even to the production companies, they had limited means to show they were an asset to Netflix. But with articles like the one from Variety that started this conversation are giving content providers more ammunition.

Conceivably Marvel could make a show with whoever they want to. But ABC is a corporate sibling, which provides incentives I described earlier, and in addition to being the number one place for original streaming programming Disney also has an exclusive deal with Netflix for all their first run movies starting in 2016 instead of a network like Starz, where that first run deal is ending, or HBO. So that means all the Marvel movies that come out from 2016 forward will be on Netflix. As will all of ABC's shows. Which means Marvel can have all their content under one roof. So they could, but why would they?
  • Options
    I feel Stick's conversation with the scar/tattoo man was about K'un Lun opening
    bamfbamf said:
    "one caveat: Luth Research does not yet track Netflix viewing on TVs, whether Internet-connected sets or those linked to streaming-media players or gaming console"

So... Incomplete data.. Not sold on this article's writing..
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So I was looking up Easter eggs for the show and these are my favorites:

-the sniper that took out the cops during the bombing is heavily hinted to be Bullseye. Look for the playing card in his bag.
    -Matt spent time at St. Agnes orphanage, the same place Skye is said to have.
    -Madame Gao's heroin packets have the Steel Serpent symbol.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Word is that Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange is planned to appear in the Iron Fist series. Consider these other shows 'boosted'.

#ItsAllConnected
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Finished up Season One today at lunch……. (Could be a few spoilers involved below)

I'm glad to see that the story line is wrapped up at the end of 13 episodes. If you didn't want to watch any further, you'd be fine. You'd have watched a great story and would feel that you didn't have to keep watching season after season for a conclusion. This should help attract non-comic viewers. I liked that you don't have to be versed in the original source material to enjoy the ride, yet there's the easter eggs for those of us who are….. I think my favorite is the name of the company across the hall from the offices of Nelson and Murdock. I liked that the costume didn't get donned until the last 15 minutes of the entire season. I've been telling my friends to watch with the caveat that "this is not a super-hero TV show." Once the costume gets donned…. I think a lot of people will think it a comic book show. IMHO.

I'm looking forward to the rest of Marvel shows on Netflix.
  • Options
    Finished it last night. Gotta say that Netflix's Daredevil has set a new bar for me when it comes to sequential comic book television.

What I liked most: Matt & Foggy were fantastic and the supporting cast was top shelf (Night Nurse, Ben Urich, the cops, the ex-girlfriend attorney). And although Karen got on my nerves a bit near the last few episodes, it didn't hurt the episodes for me. Thought Kingpin was near flawless.

What I disliked most: Was not wowed by the costume reveal in the last episode. It didn't seem to fit. The poster below looks better. I expect they will tweak it a bit before season 2 is produced.

Looking forward to the next Netflix series

• Options
    It's because he has a neck in the poster
  • Options

Necks are important
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    popestu said:

Necks are important
    Necks are overrated.

• Options
    monsterswinmonsterswin Posts: 15
    While I liked watching the growth and development of both DD and the Kingpin, the "Millerness" of the show could get wearisome after a while. I am hoping they continue growing the show so other aspects such as a bit of fun (instead of constant doom and gloom) and a little super hero stuff make their way in as well. Really like the casting of both Murdock and Fisk, Foggy ok, Karen....she's still growing into the part. I could do without Electra at all ( never cared all that much for the character). Hope they eventually add the cables to DD's billy clubs. One complaint is that a handful of the episodes were awfully damn slow and kind of empty. It WAS cool to finally see DD in costume though and yes......I also hope they tweak it and make it even better.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

popestu said:

Necks are important
    Necks are overrated.

I stand corrected, good sir.