Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

Comments

• Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Episodes 1-13 SPOILERS - LOOK AWAY

I loved this show and could not stop watching.

I don't really have a lot to say about the show, other than wow.

Oh, episode 8, all I could say was:

"Bernstein! What are you doing!?"

http://disneyxd.disney.com/crash-and-bernstein

Also, I don't recall which episode this was (12 or 13), but did anyone's ears prick up when Gao said she was going home, and Leland says "China?" and she responds with something like:

"My home is a considerable distance further."

What do you think that meant? I know it's a street level show, but could she have possibly meant off world?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Steeven said:

Also, I don't recall which episode this was (12 or 13), but did anyone's ears prick up when Gao said she was going home, and Leland says "China?" and she responds with something like:

What do you think that meant? I know it's a street level show, but could she have possibly meant off world?

I thought off world too.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Episode Nine:

Kusari-Gama!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Steeven said:

I missed that, but I wouldn't be surprised. There were a couple of statements made in the Stick episode that made me think they were laying a few seeds for the other upcoming series.
  • Options
    The show was awesome
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Episode Ten:

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

"That Greek girl."

"Best damn avocados."
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Episode One: The very first scene of the first show was heart-wrenching, even though we all know that back story. I loved the tone and the look of this first episode.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Steeven said:

K'un-Lun

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Thought it was good. Really good in many ways. But I don't think I consider it as great as everyone else. Personally, as much as I enjoyed it overall, I found it kindve boring.
    The casting, performances and characterizations were mostly excellent across the bored (Fisk being the exception). The writing was decent but the story was lacking. Not very original or exciting. I thought they really shined with the personal / relationship bits but were weak in the action / spectacle dept. which imo felt they needed more of. At least more variety or unique attempts. While the fist fights were choreographed well ands matts fighting style was something different, that's all there was. Just a few fist fights here and there. I needed something more.
    I found myself easily distracted. Good as it was, I can't imagine watching the whole series again.
    Personally I also felt cheated by keeping the costume till the last 5 min of the last episode. Totally not nec. and would've help kept things interesting. Shouldve built up to it more in pieces like it seems they sortve tried to do. Should've done more storywise to build up Fisk, he and DDs relationship and to the climax in general to make it more compelling and... Climactic. I enjoyed it and give it high marks and would watch more, but it needs to step it up a bit for my tastes.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    batlaw said:

Thought it was good. Really good in many ways. But I don't think I consider it as great as everyone else. Personally, as much as I enjoyed it overall, I found it kindve boring.

I'm 3 1/2 episodes in and I pretty much agree with this. Maybe my expectations were set too high, but I'm not blown away by the show. I'll definitely finish watching all the episodes, but I won't tell my son or wife to watch it (they both love Walking Dead, she loves Arrow, he loves The Flash).

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    David_D said:

Also, regarding the subtitles, I don't think it was an error. Rather, they made the strange choice of doing subtitles in the font and style of closed captioning for the scenes that they translated non-English dialogue (like Claire talking to Santino at the beginning of episode 2) as opposed to how subtitles that are meant to be an in-narrative translation usually look.

I don't know if that was a style choice or a cost-saving short cut, but it surprised me, too.

No, the subtitles come on at the start of every episode even though the characters are speaking English. I have to turn them off every time, & the one scene in episode 4 with the Russians came up subtitles even though I turned them off.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

Also, regarding the subtitles, I don't think it was an error. Rather, they made the strange choice of doing subtitles in the font and style of closed captioning for the scenes that they translated non-English dialogue (like Claire talking to Santino at the beginning of episode 2) as opposed to how subtitles that are meant to be an in-narrative translation usually look.

I don't know if that was a style choice or a cost-saving short cut, but it surprised me, too.

No, the subtitles come on at the start of every episode even though the characters are speaking English. I have to turn them off every time, & the one scene in episode 4 with the Russians came up subtitles even though I turned them off.
    Weird.

I think your Netflix has gremlins.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    RickM said:

Episode One: The very first scene of the first show was heart-wrenching, even though we all know that back story. I loved the tone and the look of this first episode.

Yes! Incredibly strong acting right out of the gate. My wife and I looked at each other and just went "wow". Did not except that at all.

Just wish it wasn't soooooo violent. Hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but some of it is a little TOO much.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hex said:

RickM said:

Yes! Incredibly strong acting right out of the gate. My wife and I looked at each other and just went "wow". Did not except that at all.

Just wish it wasn't soooooo violent. Hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but some of it is a little TOO much.
    I think the violence, and the cost of that violence, was an integral, crucial part of the story.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Hex said:

RickM said:

Actually, the level of violence didn't bother me. It intensified Matt's journey. I was telling Kevin Moyer how different it is from watching Batman. If Batman took that type of beating, I'd be one of the first to call bullshit. He's too highly trained to let low level goons get that many connecting hits.

Seeing Matt go through that amount of beating really made it feel like It was real.

What turned me off, surprisingly, was the language. Now, I've said curse words all day, every day, and hourly on Sundays. It just seemed out of place in a Big Two movie, specifically with Matt.

I understand Logan & Sam Wilson have dropped a curse word in the rated cuts, but there were sometimes "shit" felt crowbarred into the dialogue. Almost like "hey, look what we can say!!"

M
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited April 2015
    Matt said:

Hex said:

RickM said:

Actually, the level of violence didn't bother me. It intensified Matt's journey. I was telling Kevin Moyer how different it is from watching Batman. If Batman took that type of beating, I'd be one of the first to call bullshit. He's too highly trained to let low level goons get that many connecting hits.

Seeing Matt go through that amount of beating really made it feel like It was real.

What turned me off, surprisingly, was the language. Now, I've said curse words all day, every day, and hourly on Sundays. It just seemed out of place in a Big Two movie, specifically with Matt.

I understand Logan & Sam Wilson have dropped a curse word in the rated cuts, but there were sometimes "shit" felt crowbarred into the dialogue. Almost like "hey, look what we can say!!"

M
    I haven't watched the whole series yet, and I can only suspect that the level of violence is going to ramp up.

Don't get me wrong, the action sequences are amazing. The fight choreography is superb and the editing works well. I just find some of the violence too graphic. I think it could be handled better without being so in-your-FACE. Some of what I've seen so far, could have been off camera, and implied without sacrificing story. (Wait-a-minute... this reminds me of Jamie D's beef with the death of Blue Beetle).

I'm also finding Matt Murdock's attitude towards doing whatever it takes to get the job done, a little too much Punisher, and not so much Daredevil.

I also agree on the language. Feels unnecessary and out of place.

Side note... was happy to see Turk. Loved that sad-sack, punching bag from way back in the comics. Glad to see him in the live action version. Hope he gets more screen time, and that Daredevil mistreats him the same way as in the comics.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    From the tv tropes page, filed under AWESOME:

"If you're familiar with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. then you'll know that Jack Murdock's last opponent was "Crusher" Creel, aka the Absorbing Man, who secretly would turn his fists into steel to win his matches. Jack unknowingly took on a metahuman who likely cheated and still won. He more than proved what a great fighter he was, and he really could take a beating.m

I loved this.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    A collection of Daredevil Easter Eggs.

https://youtu.be/gY0UdD-d3VU
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    The first couple minutes talk about that hallway fight:

http://youtu.be/YNFD1qPQL6Y

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    My wife binged this from Saturday to Tuesday. And while she's a geek for her to binge ANYTHING says a lot about the show! Sucked her in!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Episode 4...

DAYAMN that was a great episode!!!

So far the best one in my opinion... the Wilson Fisk actor is awesome!

Rosario Dawson is HAWT!!!

I hope it keeps getting better!!!
  • Options
    i'm only 4 episodes in... but can u imagine a a long form Netflix Batman TV series? It would be amazing!!! maybe 12 episodes of batman year one ... the possibilities r endless!!!
  • Options

Also, the damn subtitles kept turning on for some reason...again;m anyone else?

@RedRight88 what are you using to watch Netflix? I had the same problem on my Roku 2 that I have in the living room, but not the Roku 3 in the bedroom. Also if I've turned on subs on one device it keeps engaging on very other device even if I've turned it off. Super annoying. Also, Daredevil disappeared from all my suggested lists the day it went live and I had to go looking for it too.
  • Options
    if you share your netflix account... i think that might affect your subtitiles, depending if the other person turns it on or off?
  • Options
    I, for one, keep turning on the subtitles.. I love to read what everyone is saying..
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Looking at the last few posts, I think we have our answer:

@RedRight88 , @electric_mayhem turned on your subtitles FOR you. He loves 'em.

• Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2015
    David_D said:

Looking at the last few posts, I think we have our answer:

@RedRight88 , @electric_mayhem turned on your subtitles FOR you. He loves 'em.

:D :D :D
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This.

I, for one, keep turning on the subtitles.. I love to read what everyone is saying..

FWIW, we use a Roku 3
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited April 2015
    ok here's what I got from the conversation below matchkitjon:

Somewhere up north there is a reality tv show called CGS House in which all you guys live and share a netflix account, that you use to annoy each other by switching on subtitles (probably in french).

Question: why is this the first time I've learned about CGS House and is this why bryan needs money for video equipment.