Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I don't think he'll be getting his classic red costume until the last couple episodes.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    luke52 said:

I don't think he'll be getting his classic red costume until the last couple episodes.

Probably true... And I don't even mind or care. That's how good the show is.
  • Options

luke52 said:

Probably true... And I don't even mind or care. That's how good the show is.
    Agreed
  • Options
    Episode 7

Scott Glenn... Great!

Loving how Matt, Foggy and Karen Page are playing off each other too. Top acting all around.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448

mphil said:

WetRats said:

mphil said:

Fight scene almost at the very beginning of episode 1, yes! I thought we were going to have a prolonged origin story.

The structure of this series is excellent. Seems like they have really figured out how to write for the Netflix Series Dump format. TV version of writing for the trade, as it were.
    Yeah, love it when they skip the back story and go straight into the plot.
    Wouldn't the back story be part of the plot?
    I hope not. Why Murdock decided to become a vigilante doesn't sound very interesting to me.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Um, did anyone else have trouble finding the series? I turned on my Netflix expecting it to be the first show up (or at least in the TV Shows section) and it wasn't there. I actually had to use the search function to find it. I know that it's a bit of a nitpick, but still...

Also, the damn subtitles kept turning on for some reason...again;m anyone else?

Overall, I watched the first two episodes and have like what I've seen so far. My only real complain is that they went with the Jack Murdock being killed when Matt was 9 or 10 story-line...I much prefer the story-line where Jack is killed while Matt was in college. This way we don't have to account for the eight or so years where Matt was apparently an orphan living on his own.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Um, did anyone else have trouble finding the series? I turned on my Netflix expecting it to be the first show up (or at least in the TV Shows section) and it wasn't there. I actually had to use the search function to find it. I know that it's a bit of a nitpick, but still...

This was not my experience at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Also, "no."

Overall, I watched the first two episodes and have like what I've seen so far. My only real complain is that they went with the Jack Murdock being killed when Matt was 9 or 10 story-line...I much prefer the story-line where Jack is killed while Matt was in college. This way we don't have to account for the eight or so years where Matt was apparently an orphan living on his own.

Enjoying it so far as well. I expect the orphan period is addressed in a later episode.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Scott Glenn is great in Episode 7 but so far it's my least favorite. It's still good though
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    DAR said:

Scott Glenn is great in Episode 7 but so far it's my least favorite. It's still good though

Eight is way worse.

Poor, sensitive Kingpin.

Boo hoo hoo.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    WetRats said:

mphil said:

WetRats said:

mphil said:

Fight scene almost at the very beginning of episode 1, yes! I thought we were going to have a prolonged origin story.

The structure of this series is excellent. Seems like they have really figured out how to write for the Netflix Series Dump format. TV version of writing for the trade, as it were.
    Yeah, love it when they skip the back story and go straight into the plot.
    Wouldn't the back story be part of the plot?
    No. Back story is character/atmosphere. Which is great, but distinct from plot.
    I don't quite agree with that. Back story is the historical underpinnings that support and drive the plot, along with forming the character. Matt's childhood was what drove him into becoming DD, and was sprinkled generously throughout the season: his accident, his father's murder, Stick, his friendship with Foggy. They didn't skip presenting the back story, thankfully -- they just presented it later in a more tantalizing manner.

• Options
    I'm watching the final episode now.

I like D'onofrio, but didn't feel that he was really Kingpin until Vanessa's life was at risk.

I wasn't much thrilled with Foggy either, until episode 10 - 'Nelson v. Murdock' - where they did the flashbacks with his schooldays with Matt. That was where Foggy finally fell into place for me.

Did anyone catch that Fisk's associate, Leland was Leland Owlsley -- the Owl, DD's first supervillain adversary?

I got a kick out of their working in an homage to 'Mike' Murdock.

Am I imagining it, or did the episode with Stick set out a couple of seeds for the upcoming Defenders series?

n general, I enjoyed the series, though this is a darker Daredevil than I generally like. I know the book has been dark for a long time now, but I read and enjoyed it more in its early days when he really was more of a daredevil. But this is the tone, and I can't say I was disappointed with it -- though the photography could have been a mite brighter for clarity.

I'm still looking forward to a bout with the Stilt-Man.
  • Options
    Oh, and let me add that I love the opening title sequence and the music score.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Episode 13

Overall I loved it. I'm happy he got his costume the Kingpin showdown fight was great and and Daredevil got his name.

I loved the series and this has got me really excited for the other Marvel series that Netflix has.
  • Options
    My wife is working today, so I haven't been able to watch any new episodes. Instead I re-watched the first two. That fight in the corridor is probably the best fight seen I've ever seen. One continuous shot of a fight that is acted so 'real' is just stunning.

By real I mean it looks like a punch actually hurts.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I was audibly tickled when watching it last night with the wife, it was so well done. I certainly rank it right up there with Old Boy, and this gem from the 80's.

https://youtu.be/c9rrgJXfLns
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Just finished, loved it. Can't wait for Jessica Jones
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    luke52 said:

My wife is working today, so I haven't been able to watch any new episodes. Instead I re-watched the first two. That fight in the corridor is probably the best fight seen I've ever seen. One continuous shot of a fight that is acted so 'real' is just stunning.

By real I mean it looks like a punch actually hurts.

It is a fantastic scene and, I hope this is not a bummer, but there are almost surely cuts in there, just very well hidden ones. I feel like there were some times that camera closed in on a door, and then the turn from the door was so dark you could hide a cut. There aren't many, though, and it is a bravura piece of work for all involved.
  • Options
    Just watched Ep. 1...

LOVED IT.

The back story of what is happening in Hell's Kitchen makes so much sense!

And take that, Man of Steel haters, the Avengers had just as much destruction in New York as Metropolis..

So much history with the Nelson and Murdock law firm.. That I now know due to the CGS Spotlights.. Love all those eps.

Can't wait to watch episode 2!

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just finished episode four and I can't believe how great this show is. So far it has blown me away and I can't get enough.

I only wish Netflix would have refrained from showing DD in his red costume. It's a bit of a spoiler to have it in the image for the show within the app.
  • Options
    EP. 2

Jack's fight with Creel..

Ahem..
    must have been dusty in my eye.. Or allergies.. Yeah.. That's it.. Allergies..

LOVED IT.

I am digging this whole series...

And the nice touch of "drunken master" fight?! and lifting the mask so as not to scare the boy?

Really well done..

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2015
    'nother good one.

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Who knew DD's 90s armor suit would be the influence? Haha.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Ep. 1-13. No spoilers

Really enjoyed it. It was beautifully shot. Ep. 2 and 10 were my favorites. Would love to see Batman get a serialized treatment. Second half season had less action but was better. Amazing. Can't wait to watch again probably next month after other shows go off the air.

This and The Flash are a deadheat for best shows at this point.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Just watched Ep. 1...
    And take that, Man of Steel haters, the Avengers had just as much destruction in New York as Metropolis..

Well. Sure. If we are going by the retcon conversation rather than what was actually on the screen in both movies

Maybe there will be a real estate broker scene in Batman v Superman to ramp down the destruction of Metropolis in that one to ONLY be half ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Just watched Ep. 1...

Well. Sure. If we are going by the retcon conversation rather than what was actually on the screen in both movies

Maybe there will be a real estate broker scene in Batman v Superman to ramp down the destruction of Metropolis in that one to ONLY be half ;)
    This series attempts to explore the fact that there were real people in the way when all that destruction went down, not just a few dusty onlookers.

It also reflects the way that life goes on. We are shell-shocked, traumatized, physically and emotionally scarred, but we keep having to get up in the morning. The horror of a interplanetary invasion only lasted an hour or so, the daily struggle is eternal.
  • Options
    BTW: As much as I like the authentic NYC location shooting, It would be nice to see Stark Tower CG'ed into the skyline when appropriate.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Just watched Ep. 1...

This series attempts to explore the fact that there were real people in the way when all that destruction went down, not just a few dusty onlookers.

It also reflects the way that life goes on. We are shell-shocked, traumatized, physically and emotionally scarred, but we keep having to get up in the morning. The horror of a interplanetary invasion only lasted an hour or so, the daily struggle is eternal.
    That is something that, as you mentioned before, this series and most of the post-Avengers movies have done-- the Battle of New York is treated as a really big, important, and partly traumatic thing. The world after that attack is basically the 'post-New York' world, and there are consequences. It makes that event not only seem important, but keeps the world grounded as something close to our world.

I think it would be smart for BvS to do a similar thing-- that the huge destruction of Metropolis and emergence of Superman is what draws Batman's attention (and suspicion) and the story builds from there. We'll see.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I had that same question, about being surprised I had to search, and my wife, who works in this world, explains that sometimes content providers like Netflix do this to test engagement-- to see whether all the ads they had on their website in the lead up to the premiere, as well as paid for in other places, actually worked well enough that, on the weekend of the premiere, a Netflix subscriber would actually go looking for it. Take the time to start typing in "Daredevil" because they had been engaged and were aware it was now available vs. just passively choosing it that day because it pops up as a choice. Basically, it is a way of them trying to measure the appointment viewers vs. the "Oh, look at that. That'll do," viewers. And, as they are dealing with a viewer who has already paid (vs. eyeballs they are delivering to advertisers) they can take that risk of someone not seeing that DD is a choice on the front page the day it goes live.

I remember that happening the week that House of Cards first premiered as well. I was surprised that it wasn't on the front page and I had to search for it.

Also, regarding the subtitles, I don't think it was an error. Rather, they made the strange choice of doing subtitles in the font and style of closed captioning for the scenes that they translated non-English dialogue (like Claire talking to Santino at the beginning of episode 2) as opposed to how subtitles that are meant to be an in-narrative translation usually look.

I don't know if that was a style choice or a cost-saving short cut, but it surprised me, too.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I had that same question, about being surprised I had to search, and my wife, who works in this world, explains that sometimes content providers like Netflix do this to test engagement-- to see whether all the ads they had on their website in the lead up to the premiere, as well as paid for in other places, actually worked well enough that, on the weekend of the premiere, a Netflix subscriber would actually go looking for it. Take the time to start typing in "Daredevil" because they had been engaged and were aware it was now available vs. just passively choosing it that day because it pops up as a choice. Basically, it is a way of them trying to measure the appointment viewers vs. the "Oh, look at that. That'll do," viewers. And, as they are dealing with a viewer who has already paid (vs. eyeballs they are delivering to advertisers) they can take that risk of someone not seeing that DD is a choice on the front page the day it goes live.
    Now that's the kind of inside baseball shit I love.

Did you get a nerdorphin rush when you started this reply?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Now that's the kind of inside baseball shit I love.

Did you get a nerdorphin rush when you started this reply?
    The D. Administration neither confirms nor denies these nerdorphins.

And, yes.