Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LEGO Thread - Brickheads Unite!

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    If you go to one of the many Lego message boards, you could find someone willing to sell you (or perhaps even trade you) the minifigs you really want. It won't be exactly cheap, but cheaper than buying a set you don't want just to get on minifig. Also, keep in mind that the licensed sets (Star Wars, Batman, The Hobbit, etc.) are always considerably more expensive than the Lego-created sets.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

If you go to one of the many Lego message boards, you could find someone willing to sell you (or perhaps even trade you) the minifigs you really want. It won't be exactly cheap, but cheaper than buying a set you don't want just to get on minifig. Also, keep in mind that the licensed sets (Star Wars, Batman, The Hobbit, etc.) are always considerably more expensive than the Lego-created sets.

Agreed, and in particular, BrickLink will be your friend here. You'll be paying more per minifig (especially if the figure in question only comes with one or two sets), but if your desire outweighs your hesitancy to pay a premium, it's worth it.
  • Options
    And there's also, eBay, which can sometimes run more expensive than BrickLink but sometimes not. For instance, I just bought the Wolverine minifig off of eBay today - inspired by this conversation and the fact that I don't like the helicopter from that set, nor do I care about the Magneto or Deadpool figs - and it was actually comparable to BrickLink pricing (actually a little cheaper since I got the motorcycle included, too).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A page or so back @nweathington mentioned owning a custom Aquaman minifig. Anyone else buy custom Lego guys? Anyone make them? I was looking around online for a decent Shazam/Captain Marvel one, since the SDCC giveaway figure is going for about $200 or more on the aftermarket now. There were a couple of decent ones on eBay, but it occurred to me that I could spend $15-20 on that or cobble together one myself. Found pretty much all the parts I'd need short of the logo, and there are loads of places online where people create and release their own label patterns for all kinds of characters, so I'm going to give that a try.

Haven't found a decent Captain Marvel Jr. template yet, though. Gonna keep looking.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Haven't found a decent Captain Marvel Jr. template yet, though. Gonna keep looking.

Here's the hair.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm a proud owner of an Athena Voltaire custom mini-fig. My son keeps pestering me for it.
  • Options
    This book is great if you want to be daring and try to mold your own parts or create your own decals.
  • Options

This book is great if you want to be daring and try to mold your own parts or create your own decals.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks, Eric!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Okay, this is just awesome: the Supermobile!

Who wants to help me reverse-engineer this puppy? I think I can suss out most of the tail and fuselage, but the nose construction has me a bit puzzled.
  • Options
    You're going to need one of those L-brackets (2x2 on one face, smooth with one stud in the center on the other), to be able to attach the disc like that.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The Guardian:

Lego builds higher profits as sales of new products soar
    Danish toy company defies downturn to boast revenues of $4bn in 2012, up from 25% in 2011 and nearly treble sales of 2007
    The building brick toys, traditionally popular with boys, have also increased sales among girls, especially in the US with the launch of its Lego Friends brand.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    My 47th birthday was on Friday, Feb 22, 2013. My family got me a few Lego Kits -- Superman / Power Armor Lex Luthor, and the Catwoman Motorcyle. Fun stuff. They now have a prominent place on my desk at work.

Can Superman™ save Wonder Woman™ from the clutches of evil Power Armor Lex Luthor™?!
  • Options
    I have that Superman/Lex set. It's really fun. I have Superman, on my shelf here at work, fighting Boba Fett.
  • Options
    I had that set for a short while. My son ganked the power armor and merged it with the mech from Ninjago. I'll never get it back.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I wish Lego would make a whole Justice League set! I really want Flash and Green Lantern minifigs.

• Options
    kgforce said:

I wish Lego would make a whole Justice League set! I really want Flash and Green Lantern minifigs.

Right? If they're in the Lego Batman 2 game, there should be minifigs. Do one of those little "army builder" sets like they do with Star Wars or City or whatever where you get 4 guys and a small vehicle or scene. Do the JLA meeting table or monitor room or something and fill out the roster!

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Iron Man 3 sets are out today. I just ordered the Stark Mansion Attack (Pepper Pots in Ironman Armor). I'm also hunting for the Boat escape with War Machine.
  • Options
    I like that they're mostly smaller sets without a lot of minifigure repetition. Seems like that may be the case with the upcoming Man of Steel sets, too. Looks like we'll be seeing a bigger Lone Ranger line, though.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

I like that they're mostly smaller sets without a lot of minifigure repetition. Seems like that may be the case with the upcoming Man of Steel sets, too. Looks like we'll be seeing a bigger Lone Ranger line, though.

That's the truth. I've not been a big fan of the DC sets so far because everything was Batman + villian. I have to buy a batman boat to get an Aquaman.

I love most of the new Spidey sets. The Daily Bugle is great; so is the Nick Fury car.
  • Options
    Lego is dropping Jabba's Palace, get one while you can.
  • Options
    Series 9 minifigures are finally showing up in stores around here again... about time with Series 10 on the way soon! I've had pretty good luck finding everyone I've wanted so far, but the Roller Derby Girl eludes me! The damn Roman Senator's hair feels helmet-like and it threw me off, and the skates seem like they're too little to get a good feel for.
  • Options

Series 9 minifigures are finally showing up in stores around here again... about time with Series 10 on the way soon! I've had pretty good luck finding everyone I've wanted so far, but the Roller Derby Girl eludes me! The damn Roman Senator's hair feels helmet-like and it threw me off, and the skates seem like they're too little to get a good feel for.

Having the same problem.
  • Options

Scroll down and you’ll find the packaging dot code you need to make sure you’ve got the Derby Girl.
  • Options
    Where on the package are these dots?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Where on the package are these dots?

On the back along the bottom edge.

• Options
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
  • Options
    That would explain why I was having such a hard time... the site I was using was missing a dot on Derby Girl. Managed to find her this morning, though. If you have a suspect (which can be hard sometimes, because the dots are getting fainter with each series, I think), do try and feel for the skates, they're little and practically square.

Also, @WetRats, bear in mind that the dots won't be colored in on the package... they'll look like little raised and/or indented spots on the bottom of the back of the bag.