Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LEGO Thread - Brickheads Unite!

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Also, @WetRats, bear in mind that the dots won't be colored in on the package... they'll look like little raised and/or indented spots on the bottom of the back of the bag.

Thanks!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The other day I finally picked up the Hulk's Helicarrier Break-Out set from the Avengers line. Maybe a bit over-priced for what you get, but the lab/prison is decent-enough (if a bit skimpy) build, the SHIELD plane looks great and was really fun to put together, and you get a decent assortment of minifigs - Thor, Hawkeye, Loki, and the large-scale Hulk, which looks awesome. Does it really look like the Helicarrier? Not so much, but pair it up with the Dr. Octopus lab from that first Spidey set and you've got the makings of a cool lair.
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, and the Series 10 collectible minifigures are starting to hit retail! They had a mostly-full display at my local Target this morning. Couldn't find any of this series' dot/bump codes online yet, but by resorting to the (mostly) tried-and-true method of feeling around for the accessories in the package I found the ones I was looking for on the first go: the librarian (because, well, duh), the baseball player (I figured his glove was an accessory but it was actually his left hand!), George Washington, and the bumblebee girl (which I gave to my wife because when she was young she looked kinda like the bee girl from Blind Melon's "No Rain" video).
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Oh, yeah, and the Series 10 collectible minifigures are starting to hit retail! They had a mostly-full display at my local Target this morning. Couldn't find any of this series' dot/bump codes online yet, but by resorting to the (mostly) tried-and-true method of feeling around for the accessories in the package I found the ones I was looking for on the first go: the librarian (because, well, duh), the baseball player (I figured his glove was an accessory but it was actually his left hand!), George Washington, and the bumblebee girl (which I gave to my wife because when she was young she looked kinda like the bee girl from Blind Melon's "No Rain" video).

I gotta get the "old bald guy" minifig!

Almost the whole series looks fantastic.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I gotta get the "old bald guy" minifig!

Almost the whole series looks fantastic.
    I don't necessarily want all of them, but there aren't any besides maybe the Paris Hilton-looking one that I'd actively avoid, either. Probably the best full line they've put out in quite a few waves.

Thinking I may need to go back and look for that Medusa one at some point. Wonder Woman could use a new adversary.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I just finished building Tony Stark's Mansion which is a lot of fun (and pretty cool). I also built the Batman/Aquaman set. The boat is ok, Mr. freeze looks pretty cool, but the winner is the Aquaman figure.
  • Options
    I'll finish tonight building the Brandenburg Gate. Third night at about half hour each night. Getting little sloped 1x1 tiles aligned perfectly gives me my OCD fix!
  • Options
    Anyone seen or picked up any of the Lone Ranger or Man of Steel sets yet? I've seen the LR sets at Toys R Us, but haven't picked any up because A.) TRU's Lego mark-up is ridiculous, and B.) I'm kinda waiting to see if I like the movie. I'll probably pick up the basic "troop builder" set with the Lone Ranger and the soldiers, but if I like the movie I may get the stagecoach, too, because that looks cool. Nice range of minifigs, too.

Haven't seen Man of Steel sets at retail, but they're available on Lego.com. Lots of minifig repetition (Superman and Zod in every set), and they seem like pretty weak builds. The basic Superman/Zod/car/weird tower thing looks kinda skimpy, and the biggest set is just two vehicles (I'm always kinda cold on the "just vehicle" sets) and an admittedly alright assortment of minifigs. The mid-range set - Superman, Zod, Lois, some sort of space pod and starship control set - up looks a little weak, but probably appeals the most to me since the pod looks cool and there's a Lois.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Yeah, I need a Lois, so that'll probably be the set I get. The Lone Ranger sets actually look pretty cool. My wife is all about getting different women's hairstyles and there's a couple unique ones in there. Really, though, we're just awaiting the next wave of minifigs...
  • Options
    The new castle sets look awesome. They remind of the older castle sets from the mid 80s-early 90s.
    Castle sets
    An awesome Lord of the Rings set
    Tower of Orthanc
  • Options
    Looks like the kiddo and I are making the trek up to New Hampshire tomorrow for BrickFair New England. Not quite sure what to expect from a fan event, but Lego's official KidsFest was a great time, so we're hoping for a similar experience there (with the added bonus of custom stuff).
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    BrickFair is one of the better Lego cons. Have fun!
  • Options
    BrickFair was a good time, similar in set-up (if not in size/scope) as Lego's official KidsFest. Decent-sized play area (which my son made a beeline for as we walked in... we had a good time making racers and sending them down the ramp), lots of displays (there are some crazily talented builders out there), and lots of booths for shopping. Prices were generally marked up on just about everything, but there were some finds to be made (finally found the hat I needed to completely my Teddy Roosevelt minifigure!), lots of opportunities to make minifigures from piles upon piles of pieces from various sets & eras (which the kiddo loved), and custom minifigure gear up the wazoo (especially lots of movie/game accurate tiny weaponry).

I'll try and post some pictures later.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I bought last week online and received yesterday the Minecraft set. The reason I just now got it is because just a couple weeks ago I started playing the Minecraft Pocket Edition app on my Kindle Fire. I completed one quarter of it so far.
  • Options

I bought last week online and received yesterday the Minecraft set. The reason I just now got it is because just a couple weeks ago I started playing the Minecraft Pocket Edition app on my Kindle Fire. I completed one quarter of it so far.

My son is OBSESSED with Minecraft, so we're probably going to get him that set for his birthday. Be sure to let us know what you think of it!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

My son is OBSESSED with Minecraft, so we're probably going to get him that set for his birthday. Be sure to let us know what you think of it!
    Both my son and daughter are victims of the Minecrafting, they've been using their legos to build what they've built in the game. They've started seperating their bricks by color based on what that color matches up to in the game.
  • Options
    I bet I have three times more lego pieces (some of them smaller) than I did when I was a kid. And I don't have them sorted nearly as well now as I did then.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Lego variant covers from Marvel coming in September, featuring Lego-styled recreations (drawn, mind you, and not actually recreated in Lego, unfortunately) of famous past Marvel covers.

I typically hate variant covers, but these? They have my attention.
  • Options

I enjoyed the build and think it looks great! I have done a slight upgrade for one reason, and it had an added bonus that I wasn't expecting...

The connectors between the four sections (from the top view) are only at the bottom layer, except in one connection point between two of the four of the sections, on one side only of each of those two, where it's at ground layer. I raised the ground layer up on three of the four so that there would be those additional connection points. So the added bonus comes in when I put those three together and then add in the lower one at the slightly lower level. That helps mimic the game more with more levels to the top surface.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Lego faces getting angrier, study finds
    Scientist raises concerns about impact on child development, saying toymaker's themes are increasingly based on conflict
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    On a side note - my wife just interviewed at the Lego store near us for part-time work. Keep your fingers crossed and send good vibes her way if you're so inclined.

/Daddy needs an employee discount on Arkham Asylum. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

/Daddy needs an employee discount on Arkham Asylum. :)

That is one of my favorite sets right now. I just can't afford it.
  • Options
    New Lego con starting in 2014 in Philadelphia according to brickset.com. Hopefully Super Show will be the weekend before or after.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    hey all... i'm jumping off the deep end now too. been a "collector" since i was a kid, but, not knowing better, i don't really know where all those figs and playsets are now. dropped out of the "hobby" because of comics, and now, i'm back...because of the comics playsets and Star Wars, and those damn minifigs!! AND my daughter adores them Duplos.

my first significant purchase is the R2D2 model... i can't wait for it arrive and start building!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

How to wear Lego
    Chanel's 'Lego' handbag is the must-have item of the moment among celebrities. Surprisingly, this construction toy as garment trend is not confined to a stupendously expensive bag. You too can wear Lego
  • Options
    Some recent custom minifigure creations:

Theodore Roosevelt!

The head is Professor Flitwick, which looks WAY more like TR than Warwick Davis. Body is one of the desert troopers from an Indiana Jones set. His bandana should be blue based on all of the Rough Riders images I've seen, but this'll do for now.

The Five Doctors! Or, well, five Doctors, anyway... 4, 6, 9, 10, and 11 to be precise!

4 and 6 are works in progress... I switched out Frodo hair for 4's hat since this picture was taken, and that works pretty well. Still not 100% satisfied with the heads for 4 or 6... I've almost certainly switched those out since this was taken, too. One of 6's arms is a different shade of red than the rest of the torso, in keeping with the actual costume. 11's hair is a custom piece from BrickForge.net, and is too dark, but the proper folicular floppiness.