Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LEGO Thread - Brickheads Unite!

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

Some recent custom minifigure creations:

Theodore Roosevelt!

The head is Professor Flitwick, which looks WAY more like TR than Warwick Davis. Body is one of the desert troopers from an Indiana Jones set. His bandana should be blue based on all of the Rough Riders images I've seen, but this'll do for now.

The Five Doctors! Or, well, five Doctors, anyway... 4, 6, 9, 10, and 11 to be precise!

4 and 6 are works in progress... I switched out Frodo hair for 4's hat since this picture was taken, and that works pretty well. Still not 100% satisfied with the heads for 4 or 6... I've almost certainly switched those out since this was taken, too. One of 6's arms is a different shade of red than the rest of the torso, in keeping with the actual costume. 11's hair is a custom piece from BrickForge.net, and is too dark, but the proper folicular floppiness.

I love your Doctor Who set, and look forward to seeing more.
    At one of my brother-in-law's annual LEGO parties, I make an 11th Doctor, Amy Pond & TARDIS set, but it was nowhere near as awesome as your Doctor set.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I like the TARDIS and the Abbey Road recreation a lot, @Fade2Black. Awesome efforts there.

One of the builders displaying at BrickFair a few months back had just about the best to-mifigure-scale TARDIS exterior I've ever seen, and an awesome small console room to boot (with an also-to-scale K9 that was both simple and genius). I have pictures somewhere, I'll have to post them some time.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Speaking of pictures, though, here's a work-in-progress I started this weekend: a wrestling ring. There's still a lot I want to do (especially place the ribbon with actual string for the ropes, but that's what my wife had on her craft table), but I'm happy with it so far.

Overview

Closer view

Close up on the action: El Funkistador is trying to finish off The Birthday Boy, but Surfer Rosa is trying to turn the tide.

Viva El Funkistador!

As close as I could get to JR and the King, who were really the only people besides Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon who could have called this match the way it deserved.

The Fink waits to announce the winner
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I picked up this Architecture Studio set last night at my local Barnes & Noble. Here's an article at thebrickfan.com about the set and one event that was held at one other store somewhere else in the country. I have no idea if my local B&N held one of these events, but I don't think I'd spend my time at it, as it seems poorly planned by the B&N people. Hopefully not Lego's fault.

I haven't opened any of the bags of lego inside the box yet, but am reading the book. It's not a manual, and a big part of why I purchased this set, but there seems like there will be little exercises of building coming up in it, so when I get to those I will then dig into the bricks inside.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I'll be heading up to BrickFair in Chantilly, VA this weekend, running a booth for BrickJournal magazine. Anybody else going?
  • Options

I'll be heading up to BrickFair in Chantilly, VA this weekend, running a booth for BrickJournal magazine. Anybody else going?

Unfortunately not, but the one in New Hampshire this spring was a blast. Have fun!
  • Options
    Are there any lego cons in Cali? I have been meaning to go to one.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Remember that old '80s era LEGO ad gingle:
    "Zack...
    Zack, he's a LEGO maniac!"

Well, there's a new verse:

Langenbach...
    Langenbach, he's a LEGO kleptomaniac!

What an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRgc0V7cZTA
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2013
    2014 Sets

There were a few neat sets that popped up on brickblogger.

The Simpson House is going to be released and there is going to be a Flash minifigure.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

2014 Sets
    The Simpson House is going to be released and there is going to be a Flash minifigure.

Those Simpsons sets aren't confirmed. But that Lego is coming out with some Simpsons sets, we just don't know what they are officially, is official.
  • Options
    Series 11 Minifigures have started to show up here in Rhode Island, at one of our local Targets, anyway, so I'd assume the others will follow suit if they haven't already. I found the Yeti, the Barbarian (cool enough to have a Conan minifig, but I want to find another of these so I can mix it up with some other pieces and make a Hercules), and the Saxophone Player (Elwooooood!). My favorite of the three is definitely the Yeti... very cool design, and that giant noggin piece of his is easy to feel for through the packaging.
  • Options
    Hey, I've got a question about minifigures. I want to get some but want to get specific ones instead of buying a bag and hoping for the best. On other 'lucky dip' type bagged toys there is usually a mark, a stamped letter, or a printed letter somewhere on the baggie so you can figure out what is inside. Questions:

Does lego do this for their minifigures?

If they do, where can I find a list of figures and their related numbers?
  • Options
    I'd suggest searching the brickset.com forums. I use that site's database, but rarely check out the forums unless I have a question like that.
  • Options

Hey, I've got a question about minifigures. I want to get some but want to get specific ones instead of buying a bag and hoping for the best. On other 'lucky dip' type bagged toys there is usually a mark, a stamped letter, or a printed letter somewhere on the baggie so you can figure out what is inside. Questions:

Does lego do this for their minifigures?

If they do, where can I find a list of figures and their related numbers?

In the first series or two, each figure had a unique UPC, but they abandoned that. Now there are a series of barely visible raised dots on the very bottom of the back side of the bag, and each figure has its own series of dots, or "bump code".

I find this method to be more imprecise and actually harder than the "feel around the bag for the accessories" method because a lot of times the bumps can be really hard to see. But after a series has been out for a few weeks you can easily find reviews online from people who bought a whole box and cracked the codes, so just Google "Lego minifigures series (whatever number it happens to be) bump codes" and you can usually find it pretty easy.

Good luck and good hunting!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    According to The Brick Blogger, after the Lego Movie minifigures in Series 12, Series 13 of the collectible minifigs will be The Simpsons, and we'll probably see more licensed sets after that. While it would be cool to get a dedicated Marvel or DC line to fill out some roster spots, I'm kind of bummed that we may see an end to the generic character types for a while. Still so many archetypes to fulfill!
  • Options
    I know there are a lot of lego fans that are not about the Simpson line, but it is one that I really excited about. I hope it is better than the ninja turtle line, and I sort of like the idea of doing a special series of simpson character minifigures. It's probably the only way we get a moe (maybe a bartman?). I would just hate that it would be the end of the generic mini figures.
  • Options
    Got bored the other night and noticed that the Wolverine minifigure head bore a strong resemblance to a certain professional wrestler, and so a few minutes later I had the Best in the World... CM Punk!

It's clobberin' time!
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Anyone using Pleygo?

Netflix-like subscription for Legos. Crazy!
  • Options
    I've been working on some more Doctor Who builds (mostly minifigures, but I also did a bit of the TARDIS console room), which I posted over on my blog - http://www.trustyplinkostick.com/2013/10/tarditbodo-time-and-relative-dimension.html

Let me know what you think!
  • Options
    Eurobricks has pictures and the line-up for Collectible Mini-Figures Series 12. As rumored, they're all characters from The Lego Movie, but even if you're not interested in them as characters, there's lots of awesome new minifigure pieces to be found. They are going to make so much money off of me this round. Lego Abraham Lincoln WILL be mine!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85700&st=75#entry1730639
  • Options
    Oh, and here are some leaked pics of (mostly) preliminary designs for 2014 releases, including Super Heroes and Star Wars.

http://cm4sci.wikia.com/wiki/LEGO_2014_Prelims
  • Options
    We're getting a Powerman. Tha means I will get a Heroes for Hire team-up with Ironfist and a more classic version of Doc Ock which I like. MODOK is cool and so is the red skull.
  • Options
    The Captain America vs Hydra set looks like a fun build. The Hulk Lab Smash looks a little weak, but is totally sold on the strength of those minifigures. I'm on the fence about the Doc Ock Truck Heist, but a more comics-accurate of Doctor Octopus is a definite selling point. Not a big fan of either of the two Spider-vehicle sets, though that Spider-Trike thing looks to have some parts I'd need to fulfill my dream of building the Spider-Mobile, so I may cave.
  • Options
    On a related note, this Brickset page lists the known 2014 Super Heroes line-up, including the DC releases: http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Super Heroes&year=2014

They are, probably unsurprisingly, Batman-heavy. In fact the only non-Bat character we see is Flash in the Riddler Chase set, which also comes with a new Riddler minifigure and a Batman (along w/ rides for each). There's a small Batman/Penguin set (which is the weakest of the bunch but might be good for parts), a Batcopter/ManBat set (which also gives us a New 52 Nightwing & glider), and a weird Batplane/Joker's Steamroller set, which will probably the one to get because it comes with a new Joker, a new Joker's goon, a Damian-inspired Robin, and - at long last - Batgirl. Not a big fan of either vehicle there, but the minifigs are all pretty sweet.

Now I just have to figure out if I'll get any of these or just haunt BrickLink for the figs I want at a half-decent price (because I don't think I need another Batplane or Batmobile).
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I like both vehicles in the Batman/Penguin set. And Joker's Steamroller (actually, it's a sheep's foot) is pretty groovy, too!