Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Mark Pedowitz, the CW's new president, says one of his main objectives is to widen the network's demographic beyond young females. Arrow is a male-oriented series, and he feels it's the first step.

Last month, at the Television Critics Association press tour, he said if Arrow is successful (he's positive it will be), then he intends to develop more male-skewing DC properties. The network had a Deadman pilot in development last season that didn't go forward, but Pedowitz recently confirmed they hadn't abandoned the project. So we may see that series at some point.

I could honestly see Arrow as the start of a shared TV universe.

By the way, you know what's interesting, but also unfortunate? The pilot for the CW's Arrow and the potential pilot for Syfy's Booster Gold were both developed and written by Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg. But even though they're from the same people, because they are on separate networks and set in completely different versions of the DCU, there's very little hope for any crossovers.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    tazmaniak said:

is this series a spinoff from Smallville? Same creators/continuity? Different?

e
    L nny
    Different creators and different continuity.

Thanks @tazmaniak!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    tazmaniak said:

Mark Pedowitz, the CW's new president, says one of his main objectives is to widen the network's demographic beyond young females. Arrow is a male-oriented series, and he feels it's the first step.

Last month, at the Television Critics Association press tour, he said if Arrow is successful (he's positive it will be), then he intends to develop more male-skewing DC properties. The network had a Deadman pilot in development last season that didn't go forward, but Pedowitz recently confirmed they hadn't abandoned the project. So we may see that series at some point.

I could honestly see Arrow as the start of a shared TV universe.

By the way, you know what's interesting, but also unfortunate? The pilot for the CW's Arrow and the potential pilot for Syfy's Booster Gold were both developed and written by Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg. But even though they're from the same people, because they are on separate networks and set in completely different versions of the DCU, there's very little hope for any crossovers.

i'd feel more comfoprtable with Booster in CW's hands rather then SCi-Fi
  • Options
    If the show goes to series, hopefully Booster Gold will get a good showrunner. The network's most recent series are doing very well. I really like Being Human and though I haven't seen it yet, I've heard people are pleased with Alphas.

I have high hopes for Booster Gold. Not a lot of people know this because he's uncredited, but Kreisberg actually wrote The Greatest Story Never Told, which is the episode that introduced Booster into JLU. So, he has a pretty good handle on the character and his personality.

Kreisberg recently talked about turning in the pilot script and what elements we'd see. He rattled off names like Skeets, Trixie Collins, Dirk Davis, Michelle and Rip Hunter. He included all of them in the pilot.

He also talked about how Booster Gold was ahead of his time and how they call him the first TMZ superhero in the pilot script. Most superheroes tend to keep out of the spotlight, while Booster embraces it. This will be a change from other superhero TV and movies.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.
  • Options
    I love Booster Gold he is absolutley one of my favorite characters and i would love to see him done well and get some well deserved recognition but Sci Fi runs hot and cold for me. I really lost some faith with that aweful Earthsea adaptation from a few years back.
  • Options
    Season 1 episode titles.

1x01 'Pilot' - 10/10/12
    Writer: Greg Berlanti & Marc Guggenheim (story); Guggenheim & Andrew Kreisberg (script)
    Guest: Roger R. Cross (Detective Hilton), Darren Shahlavi (Constantine Drakon)

1x02 'Honor Thy Father' - 10/17/12
    Writer: Berlanti & Guggenheim (story); Guggenheim & Kreisberg (script)
    Guest: Kelly Hu (China White)

1x03 'Lone Gunmen' - 10/24/12
    Writer: Berlanti & Guggenheim (story); Guggenheim & Kreisberg (script)
    Guest: Michael Rowe (Deadshot), Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity Smoak)

1x04 'An Innocent Man' - 10/31/12
    Writer: Moira Kirland & Lana Cho

1x05 'Damaged' - 11/6/12
    Writer: Wendy Mericle & Ben Sokolowski
    Guest: John Barrowman

1x06 'Legacies' - 11/13/12
    Writer: ?
    Guest: Jessica De Gouw (Helena Bertinelli/Huntress)
  • Options
    Stephen Amell makes the cover of T.V. Guide's Fall Preview issue.

• Options
    Eric_C said:

Looks really freaking cool (especially the tennis ball shot), but I have some things that I do not like.
    - Ollie is not a killer, I hope they don't try to make him so dark.
    - Why not just let the chick be named Dinah?
    - He is not blonde enough for me. Can't we just give him a Slim Shady makeover?
    - Personal Gripe: I loved Justin Hartley as Ollie, even if he was kinda half Batman in Smallville. Then again I wanted him to be Cap and I can admit I was very wrong about that.
    That being said, I am very excited to see the show. I love the Green Arrow so much, even if the current series is just horrendous.

- If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Oliver killed on at least 3 separate occasions? During the Longbow Hunters, in the early 90s and recently after Cry For Justice. And didn't he kill those people out of revenge or momentary anger and not because he had no other choice?

- Dinah's mother has been dead for some years in the comics and she is rarely mentioned. So there's no need for characters to distinguish between the two women. That may not be the case on the show. The producers have not said if the older Dinah is alive or dead, but that they will be exploring it later on in the season. If she is indeed alive and will eventually show up, she will be called Dinah. So it makes sense to use the younger Dinah's middle name so as not to confuse the two characters within the show.

- I honestly don't think being blond is an absolute requirement for being Oliver Queen. The producers have pointed out the character often had darker hair in his earlier appearance, as well as in later years.

- No comment on Justin Hartley's portrayal. Well, at least nothing positive.
  • Options
    The Royal Flush Gang will appear in episode 6, "Legacies". Kyle Schmid has been cast as Kyle Reston (Ace).

Zap 2 it
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    I expect the usage of "pretty bird" to be abundant and AWESOME.

Color me in. I hope they play with Diggle's Year One stuff (China White portrayed by Kelly Hu points to YES).
  • Options
    Jeffrey Nordling has been cast as Frank Bertinelli.

Examiner
  • Options
    DC Comics will launch an Arrow digital comic series. Like Smallville Season 11, the comic will be released in weekly chapters, followed by monthly print editions.

The series will be written by Arrow executive producer's Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg, with Mike Grell providing initial artwork before handing over duties to Sergio Sandoval and Jorge Jimenez for subsequent issues.

The first digital chapter debuts on October 10th ($0.99), the same day Arrow premieres, while the print editions start November 28th ($3.99)

Comic Book Resources
  • Options
    At DC's blog it says this:

"The first digital chapter of ARROW will go on sale for $.99 on October 10, followed by new weekly chapters each Wednesday. The comic series will also be collected in print with three digital chapters on sale in one print issue for $3.99 starting on November 28."

Now that is reverse of what happens with all the other other same day print and digital (new 52 and other) books. It comes out in digital first, then when it comes out in print it's a $1 more.
  • Options
    Geoff Johns co-wrote episode 7, the introduction of Huntress, along with Guggenheim and Kreisberg.

Green Arrow TV
  • Options
    Battlestar Galactica's Tamoh Penikett has been cast as Tom Salvati, right hand man to Frank Bertinelli.

Green Arrow TV
  • Options
    Here's a new trailer that aired in the UK on Sky1.

http://youtu.be/3Xh86QhLSuA
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Here's a behind the scenes photo of John Barrowman on the Arrow set.

• Options
    Interview with Jessica de Gouw (Helena Bertinelli).

KsiteTV
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I think I may have to give this thing a shot now.
  • Options
    What's the sigh for?
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    tazmaniak said:

What's the sigh for?

Probably the part about it being "a superhero story EXCEPT IT'S TOTALLY REAL and has comic book origins TO A VERY SMALL, ALMOST NON-EXISTENT DEGREE."
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    sandman said:

tazmaniak said:

What's the sigh for?

Probably the part about it being "a superhero story EXCEPT IT'S TOTALLY REAL and has comic book origins TO A VERY SMALL, ALMOST NON-EXISTENT DEGREE."
    That part seems to be the opinion of the person writing the article. From what I've seen and read, the initial comic book origins are more or less intact.
  • Options
    Watched EP Daily today and it had an interview with Arrow, he said it was a grounded DCU, no one has super powers. I think that can make the show.
  • Options
    i think i'm beginning to tire of the constant need to qualify superhero shows as "realistically grounded" i still want quality character driven drama, no matter what, but i have the ability so suspend disbelief. gimmie the Flash man! I'm okay with some freaking superpowers.
  • Options
    Hear, hear. I don't need a superhero show to be realistic -- I just need it to be believable. Make me believe that a man can fly, and the rest will follow.
  • Options
    Sigh is for because it feels like they couldn't figure out how to finish his outfit. It just says they don't care and don't know what steampunk is. I'm gonna give the show a chance but the look of it is not impressing me at all.