Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Canadian ratings.

In Canada, Arrow is the #1 new show of the season among Adults 18-34, Males 25-54, and Females 18-34. It's also the #2 series among Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 and #3 in total viewers.

The most recent episode hit a series high of 1.88 million viewers, an improvement over the previous episode's 1.4 million. The show has gained nearly a million more viewers since it's series premiere, which had 1.1 million viewers.

The pilot was the most watched series premiere in CTV Two's entire 17 year history.

Bell Media
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The Arrow hits the target :D
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The latest episode was the weakest yet. The flashback scenes were thebest part. Everything else was pretty poorly written / executed.
  • Options
    Everyone catch Deadshot's room number?
  • Options
    Just finished episode 2 and I am enjoying the show. Though I am getting a bit bothered by the I've been gone five years, five years change you, five years alone. I think while it does need o be touched on dont shove it in my face. It does seem to be similar to Batman imo, the vigilante and the cop who needs to bring this guy to justice among other things. Really enjoy the storyline that is starting to build up in each episode. I'm a sucker for long stories that buildup, hopefully to a nice payoff. Didn't see smallville so it's nice to have a superhero show on television, especially one that is doing so well.
  • Options

Everyone catch Deadshot's room number?

52!
  • Options
    Anyone else notice the Big Belly Burger restaurant?
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'm sticking with it but this has become my least favorite thing to watch on my DVR each week. The sister and the ex look too similar. The sexy workout scenes with the voice over are a little tiresome (and this last week when he drops the weights and they shatter, he didn't shatter them that was gravity)

At first I was upset that his secret identity rested in the hands of a hood. Then I realized he was also using grease paint or something over his eyes. Which would be ok but he can get that completely off in a matter of minutes which seems less plausible than relying on just the hood.

The running from the bodyguard has played itself out pretty quickly too. The payoff of him having figured everything out should be coming pretty soon.

One thing everyone is saying that he just kills everyone. It was either the first episode or second that the detective mentions that the thugs weren't killed they were just injured.
  • Options
    I note that they're making use of the DC 'geography' with mentions this episode of Bludhaven and Iron Heights.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

One thing everyone is saying that he just kills everyone. It was either the first episode or second that the detective mentions that the thugs weren't killed they were just injured.

There was the one guy he killed outright for having accidentally stumbled across his 'Arrowcave' in the first episode. He broke the guy's neck with a sharp head twist. And that's the one death that disturbs me, because there was no real need for it; it was a killing of convenience.
  • Options

Krescan said:

There was the one guy he killed outright for having accidentally stumbled across his 'Arrowcave' in the first episode. He broke the guy's neck with a sharp head twist. And that's the one death that disturbs me, because there was no real need for it; it was a killing of convenience.
    See, I don't think it was explicitly killing out of convenience. It was a combination of protecting his identity and punishing the thug for killing the guy who stumbled upon the kidnapping. He said so as he did it.

If he let the guy get away, there would have been no way to identify him to the police. He didn't remove his mask until after Oliver started chasing him. He couldn't have just subdued him and waited for the cops. I mean, he'd have a hell of a time explaining how he took out all of those guys.

I guess he feels it's better for him to kill a murderer than to let said murderer get away.
  • Options
    'An innocent man' was my least favourite episode so far, but I enjoyed the fact that we learnt more about Diggle, and now he has a bit more of a character, and you know... that cliffhanger!
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Krescan said:

See, I don't think it was explicitly killing out of convenience. It was a combination of protecting his identity and punishing the thug for killing the guy who stumbled upon the kidnapping. He said so as he did it.

If he let the guy get away, there would have been no way to identify him to the police. He didn't remove his mask until after Oliver started chasing him. He couldn't have just subdued him and waited for the cops. I mean, he'd have a hell of a time explaining how he took out all of those guys.

I guess he feels it's better for him to kill a murderer than to let said murderer get away.
    And I still think he overstepped himself. Any other killing could have been argued away as either self-defense in the heat of battle, or as acting in the defense of someone else. But this one guy was defeated, and he could have trussed him up for the cops to find. The only reason Ollie killed him was to protect his identity, and that takes him from vigilante to murderer; the fact that the guy had killed somebody else earlier doesn't excuse Ollie's action.

Now, if this act takes the overall story somewhere and forces Ollie to face the consequences for his action, fine. I'm good with that. But I don't want to see it excused away as "well, it was only a bad guy". What he did wasn't the act of a hero.
  • Options
    I don't think they're trying to excuse it away. It's just Oliver's reason or justification for it, within the show. We know the producers aren't excusing it away because we have other characters within the show blatantly calling it murder.

As for it not being the act of a hero, the producers have said Oliver isn't a "hero" countless times and you shouldn't think of him as one. At least not at this point. The series will take him on a journey, where he may evolve into a hero and become Green Arrow. But for now, he's a guy on a mission and he will do whatever it takes to complete said mission.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

It must have been the second episode because all of those thugs in the first episode were clearly dead. Most had their eyes open in a blank death stare. Killing to protect his secret in the first episode is also the most blatant (and graphic) murder for me. Of corse, that one shouldn't be pinned on Green Arrow because it doesn't fit his MO. We'll see what happens next week, I guess, if they have a total number of murders in the charging.

I actually think they're addressing this on the show and Laurel and Diggle will eventually show Ollie that he doesn't have to be a murderer. I might be the minority, but I am enjoying the show.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:
    Is that the Catwoman costume from DKR?

• Options
    tazmaniak said:

As for it not being the act of a hero, the producers have said Oliver isn't a "hero" countless times and you shouldn't think of him as one. At least not at this point. The series will take him on a journey, where he may evolve into a hero and become Green Arrow. But for now, he's a guy on a mission and he will do whatever it takes to complete said mission.

I agree, but he shouldn't become the villain either. He has to be redeemed at some point and that can't do that if he's irredeemable. In the most recent episode, he gets called out by three separate people for being a cold blooded killer. All three were correct. It's not a misunderstanding or an accident, he snapped some dude's neck for fear of being discovered and shot rent a cops (granted they were bad rent a cops) through the heart with his bow in the first episode. It's interesting that if he gets tried and acquited for the murder in the next episode (which is where it looks like they are headed), that would arguably be a miscarriage of justice since I don't believe there a justification for homicide for indentity protection. (on a complete tangent, Batman's whole,"I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." would also be homicide since he created Raas zone of danger, but I digress :-)
  • Options
    Chelah Horsdal is playing Kate Spencer in next week's episode.
  • Options
    That stunt thing is cool.
  • Options
    Ben Browder cast as Ted Gaynor.

IGN

Gaynor is Diggle's former commanding officer and currently works as a bodyguard for Blackhawk Squad Protection Group in Starling City. His presence will cause tension between Oliver and Diggle.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I like me some Browder power 3:-O
  • Options
    A little Farscape action,works for me.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    tazmaniak said:

Ben Browder cast as Ted Gaynor.

IGN

Gaynor is Diggle's former commanding officer and currently works as a bodyguard for Blackhawk Squad Protection Group in Starling City. His presence will cause tension between Oliver and Diggle.

Blackhawk Squad? It's a small thing, but it makes me happy.

• Options
    Blackhawk was mentioned in last week's ep, I'm pretty sure.
  • Options

Blackhawk was mentioned in last week's ep, I'm pretty sure.

Not sure if it was in last week's episode, but it was in last week's issue of the Arrow tie-in comic. When Diggle was in Afghanistan, his Special Forces group was called Blackhawks.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Im still watching but the show has quickly started growing a healthy layer of cheese upon it.
  • Options
    I attended the Arrow panel at SDCC, saw the cast, and watched the pilot episode well before it premiered on the CW. I am a big DC fan, but never read a single Green Arrow comic. Not for any particular feelings against Green Arrow, the character just never interested me. However, from my SDCC experience, I was interested in the show & wanted to check it out. I wasn't overwhelmed with excitement, but intrigued enough to want to see at least one more episode. When the show finally premiered on the CW, I didn't watch it because I had already seen the pilot at SDCC. And, to be honest, by the time it DID premiere, I had sort of lost my earlier enthusiasm about it as my memory of SDCC faded. After hearing the CGS episode in which they reviewed the Arrow & The Walking Dead premieres, it re-ignited my interest in Arrow. I re-watched the pilot, as well as each episode since. I have to say that I really like it! I look forward to every episode each week, and now that we are 5 episodes in, I am really happy that the series has been picked up for another season. I understand that the Green Arrow of "Arrow" may be nothing like the comic book Green Arrow, & that this is very disappointing and/or frustrating to long time Green Arrow readers. I feel the same way about The Walking Dead season 3. I read the Walking Dead comics & am very disappointed by the horrible actor they picked to be the Governor, the way they are introducing this character, & how many things have been changed this season that - to me - were the very core of the comic book series. And just as I feel that the viewers of the Walking Dead who never read the comic book have an advantage this season over readers of the comic because they have no clue how this story and character are really supposed to go, it could very well be that I (as a non-reader of Green Arrow comics) have the advantage when viewing the TV series over readers of the comics. I come in to Arrow with no preconceived notions of how the show should be, and no expectations, therefore, I am not disappointed. I can just enjoy what unfolds. Hell, the TV series has even gotten me a little interested in reading the comic books - but I doubt I will only because I am already way behind on the comics I currently love!