Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    random73 said:

i think i'm beginning to tire of the constant need to qualify superhero shows as "realistically grounded" i still want quality character driven drama, no matter what, but i have the ability so suspend disbelief. gimmie the Flash man! I'm okay with some freaking superpowers.

I think the TV budget keeps they from going out like we want. Maybe since this was in develpment before the Avengers that now networks will see the broad appeal of a more super-hero focused show. Still weird to see the title Arrow. But I will watch next week.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Not sure if this has already been said on this thread, but for all those UK residents I've just seen arrow is being shown on Sky One at 8pm on Oct 22nd. Looking forward to tuning in!
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    I've gotten more and more excited about this with every bit of news and clip I see. I'm not totally sold on the concept, but they named someone JOHN DIGGLE. After ANDY DIGGLE, writer of GL: Year One. Wonderful pokes at my nerd center.

Also, Katie Cassidy is deliciously gorgeously wow.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    High praise from BuddyTV

They believe it's the best new show on TV this fall.

Also, check out an article on Blastr, where they talk to Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns and Stephen Amell. They reveal 13 "creator secrets" about the series.
  • Options
    Is there anyone not watching the pilot tonight?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    tazmaniak said:

Us across the pond!!!
    :((
  • Options
    The full #1 digital issue of Arrow is now available at comixology. A free preview issue was available there for at least the past couple days, and still is. A print copy of that is coming out today and should be available at your lcs.

Should I read it before or after watching the pilot?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    tazmaniak said:

I'm at work tonight so I can't (and don't have cable anymore, anyway), but I plan on catching up with it on Hulu this weekend.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

tazmaniak said:

I'm at work tonight so I can't (and don't have cable anymore, anyway), but I plan on catching up with it on Hulu this weekend.
    I had forgot it premiered tonight. But just set my dvd recorder to record it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    dubbat138 said:

tazmaniak said:

I had forgot it premiered tonight. But just set my dvd recorder to record it.
    Me Too!
  • Options
    Not bad at all. The acting was a little CW and I don't think I needed the Narration but we pretty well established Ollie as a badass. some of the fight scenes were among the best i've ever seen on TV. I'm down for another couple episodes.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Missed much of it but liked what I saw more than not. Will happily check out future eps. Has potential.
  • Options
    I'm in the U.K, don't have Sky, Hulu and CW don't allow content outside of the U.S. this is not good!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Arrow opened strong with 4M viewers and a 1.3 rating. That's the network's most watched premiere since The Vampire Diaries in 2009 and the highest rated since Nikita in 2010.

TV By the Numbers

Supernatural benefited from having Arrow as a lead-in. Last week's premiere had 1.8M viewers and a 0.8, while last night's episode had 2.58M viewers and a 1.0.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Arrow opened strong with 4M viewers and a 1.3 rating. That's the network's highest rated premiere since The Vampire Diaries in 2009.

TV By the Numbers

Supernatural benefited from having Arrow as a lead-in. Last week's premiere had 1.8M viewers and a 0.8, while last night's episode had 2.58M viewers and a 1.0.

Nice. well that bodes well. sure thing we will get a whole season and if people liked what they saw possibly a second. groovy.
  • Options
    random73 said:

tazmaniak said:

Arrow opened strong with 4M viewers and a 1.3 rating. That's the network's highest rated premiere since The Vampire Diaries in 2009.

TV By the Numbers

Nice. well that bodes well. sure thing we will get a whole season and if people liked what they saw possibly a second. groovy.
    And another show. CW president, Mark Pedowitz, occasionally talks about how the network needs to expand it's demographic if it's going to survive. Developing Arrow and pairing it with Supernatural was the first step in building their male audience. Cult is another show that may draw a male audience, due to it's twisting, multi-layered storytelling. It may be paired up with Nikita, which also has a large male audience.

Pedowitz said if Arrow succeeds, he hopes to work with WB/DC on another male-targeted series. He pointed out that even though the Deadman project didn't go forward last season, they were still developing it. And there's also the Wonder Woman thing we've been hearing about. So, more shows could be on the way.
  • Options
    Just found it on the interwebs, I thought it was really good. At first the narration didn't sit quite right with me either, but it grew on me as I started to think of it as a Year One-esque narration.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm going to tweak my rule about not watching a new show until it has a complete season aired before I start watching. I'm going to hold off watching this series until the mid-season point. There are several variables that I have been turned off with that I'm hoping gets ironed out after 12 episodes.

M
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Here's the first image of Deathstroke. The villain appears in Arrow's 5th episode. He is portrayed by Jeffrey Robinson.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=68610

• Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    JaxUr said:

Here's the first image of Deathstroke. The villain appears in Arrow's 5th episode. He is portrayed by Jeffrey Robinson.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=68610

Oh wow, a FAITHFUL interpretation? Wasn't expecting that. Hope Ollie sticks an arrow in his eye.
  • Options
    just watched it last night on Hulu +, I like it. It scratches the superhero itch, I only wish powers/mutants/crazy science was a part of the series...
  • Options

just watched it last night on Hulu +, I like it. It scratches the superhero itch, I only wish powers/mutants/crazy science was a part of the series...

You never know. Further on down the line, after the show really establishes itself and can get a couple of seasons under its belt, they could change their mind. I'm good with it as it is for now, but I wouldn't mind seeing it get more 'super' later on.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    That was pretty solid. Quickly got into plenty of plot twists. The wife liked it. Oliver's mom couldn't wait 7 years huh? Liked the nods to Speedy I hope the DC/Green Arrow folks point out more Easter Eggs.
  • Options
    Looks like viewers also showed up for last night's encore. 2 million viewers and a 0.6.
  • Options
    I was at the panel and even got to ask a question about the excessive death and killing in the first episode. I'm sure I will be mortified if I ever hear it or see it online. :-)

Nice hints about Speedy (including a cut scene mentioned that highlighted her high school archery prowess) and Black Canary (and (in response to a fan q, maybe even a desire for Roy Harper but no plans)
  • Options
    JoeSergi said:

I was at the panel and even got to ask a question about the excessive death and killing in the first episode. I'm sure I will be mortified if I ever hear it or see it online. :-)

Did you get a satisfactory answer to your question?

Cheers, Will
    :)
  • Options
    Partially, but not really. I pointed to the fact that in Long Bow Hunters (which they identified as their primary source material), Ollie killed (and hunted) on the island because he needed to do it to survive and wouldnt kill again until it was life or death in the pilot, he wracked near mass murderer numbers and even killed someone because he saw his face. Ironically, the only villain that lived was his target. I asked if they would be exploring the morality behind this and what point gritty avenging hero becomes serial killer villain.

I think Guggenheim appeared impressed with the question and said they would explored and established killing is always as a last resort. Then, Amell added that when the mugger found out his identity, there was no other option. "It's not like I could have had him sign a nondisclosure agreement, I had to snap his neck.".

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think it's a slippery slope.
  • Options
    JoeSergi said:

Partially, but not really. I pointed to the fact that in Long Bow Hunters (which they identified as their primary source material), Ollie killed (and hunted) on the island because he needed to do it to survive and wouldnt kill again until it was life or death in the pilot, he wracked near mass murderer numbers and even killed someone because he saw his face. Ironically, the only villain that lived was his target. I asked if they would be exploring the morality behind this and what point gritty avenging hero becomes serial killer villain.

I think Guggenheim appeared impressed with the question and said they would explored and established killing is always as a last resort. Then, Amell added that when the mugger found out his identity, there was no other option. "It's not like I could have had him sign a nondisclosure agreement, I had to snap his neck.".

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think it's a slippery slope.

You know, that was the one thing in the pilot that really bothered me. I didn't like it. Basically, Ollie was committing murder for the sake of convenience, and no other reason. That's not the mark of a hero. I sure hope we see some consequences arise out of that act in future episodes.