Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I thought the action scenes were great, but I didn't really like much else about it. The script was unimaginative, the dialogue was stilted, and the acting was mediocre at best. The mother may lead to something interesting, but as far as the pilot itself goes, I was not impressed. I really wanted to like it, and, again, I thought the action scenes were very well done. I wasn’t a huge fan of Smallville, but at least that show had some heart to it. I just didn’t get any kind of spark from Arrow that makes me want to continue watching it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2012
    Enjoyed it enough that I'll give it at least a few more episodes to see if it continues to hold my interest, but I'd be lying if I said Ollie's bodycount didn't bother me a lot. Sure, it's "bad guys" getting killed, but still, more brutal than I was expecting from a DC Comics show on the CW.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I saw about half of the first episode the other night. Liked what I saw so I will stick with it for a few more episodes.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    So I watched the first episode and thought it was good but predictable. I liked the training montage though and seeing the Deathstroke mask was awesome. I like this and I like the tone and I'll give this a shot for the season.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Arrow holds steady in it's second week. Episode 2 brought in 3.48 million viewers and a 1.3. Supernatural also performed well, with 2.19 million viewers and a 1.0.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Wife and I watched the pilot on Hulu+ last night. Generally getting my wife to watch a new, untested show, is like pulling teeth. She doesn't want to commit to a series, and it's comics-based, and it's GREEN ARROW, for Pete's sake. In her eyes (not mine) it might as well be Aquaman. :)

End of the episode, she's hitting me with a battery of questions about who Green Arrow's dad and mom are, and why was this significant and what's Dinah Lance supposed to mean and whose mask was that on the island, etc., then it was off to wikipedia to learn more about the Emerald Archer.

I can give you no more flattering testimonial than that...she's hooked. Me too. It's not necessarily the Ollie Queen I grew up with, but why does it have to be?

• Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I thought it was quite good. Going in with low expectations helped but I thought both episodes delivered on action and drama.
  • Options
    There's things that really bug me that I wish they would fix/explain (even in flashbacks).

Things that need fixing:
    They need to stop with the free running cam work. I'm not a fan of the chaotic moments in my visual media. They need to stop making it look like Ollie was being filmed by a group of movie makers that was going for a found footage feel while on the island. I would be OK if he was being film,just not in the found footage manner. Need to have longer fight sequences. The one with China White was just sad.

Things I want them to explain soon:
    How Ollie knows more than just English. How he knows multiple martial arts (I bet Deathstorke was his teacher on that island). What' the role of Tommy;I just want to know if it's going to be a Lex thing like in Smallville. Who taught Ollie how to build his "gimmick" arrows and be such a good PC user (before the indecent he didn't seem to be the type to be into Tech like that).

Funny thing is that Beauty and the Beast has more in common with Smallville than this show does. Not saying it's bad thing,just a funny thing.
  • Options

Funny thing is that Beauty and the Beast has more in common with Smallville than this show does. Not saying it's bad thing,just a funny thing.

Well, both Smallville and the original share similar themes. Smallville has always had a romantic angle and Beauty and the Beast (original and remake) are romantic dramas. Both deal with a non-human/superhuman? characters who are outsiders.

The most likely reason is probably the fact that Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, who were the Smallville showrunners for the last 3 seasons, are also the showrunners on Beauty and the Beast.
  • Options
    Byron Mann will portray Yao Fei beginning with next week's episode.

Green Arrow TV

Yao Fei is a comic book character known as Accomplished Perfect Physician. He is also a member of The Great Ten.
  • Options
    i like that there is a diggle and a nocenti character
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Not a bad show. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Hopefully it has some legs and will be around a while.
  • Options
    There was also a Judge Grell.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Just watched the first episode. The fight choreography was awesome. Also the parkour scenes were top notch. The acting was a bit wooden - consisting mostly of looking cool and sexy. Stephen Amell looks the part - his Queen/Arrow feels just right. I like Paul Blackthorne as Detective Quentin Lance. I haven't read many Green Arrow comics and watched this episode without any expectations. Sure it was quite cliché ridden and predictable but the camera work, the score, the pace and again the action was nice. I was surprised how much I did enjoy the pilot and am looking forward to more. Hopefully it will not become as soapy as Smallville was.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I finally finished the first episode and loved it. Was it just me or was the person Ollie referred to as Speedy ,right before Ollie entered the room,making lines outta a white powder?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Two episodes in and I am liking it enough to keep watching. I was not a Smallville watcher so I cannot compare it to that production but it seems a nice mix of WB stylings and DC. I guess we need to take the YA audience into account to get a decent comic book drama on network television right now so I'm satisfied.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    dubbat138 said:

I finally finished the first episode and loved it. Was it just me or was the person Ollie referred to as Speedy ,right before Ollie entered the room,making lines outta a white powder?

Yes, she was. Or rather, her friend was.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Speedy does have a history of drug abuse. Even if it is not the same speedy.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I just saw the first 2 eps and overall, kind of disappointed. Perhaps because I'd been hearing good things, so my hopes were raised.

Overall, I thought it was just an ok adventure show. Very simplistic without much nuance. He's a judge/jury and perhaps executioner? But that's not even clear here. What's his plan? To intimidate the 20 shadiest Star(ling) city power guys into confessing to their crimes? And if they don't, then what? Will he kill them? We've seen him kill- but arguably in a self defensive posture. What if the bad guy simply says "you're mistaken- I'm not a bad guy and I'm not confessing". Will he kill them then? Or what if they do confess but still refuse? Then what? The shows solution to date has been (1) he somehow has access to ridiculously high tech that allows him to steal money from the bad guy and give it to others in a way that can't be detected (and therefore reversed) (pilot); or (2) he coerced a "confession" which, amazingly, held up in court. Ridiculous stuff which can't be taken seriously.

Then there's the characters- pretty 2 dimensional- either good or bad- with any nuance most likely being they're the opposite of what they appear to be. No grey areas here. Nobody that seems very interesting,

So that just leaves us with the action stuff. That's been pretty good so far- neat bow and arrow stuff- some nice fights. A bit of a mystery on the island (the final scene in the 2nd ep was a nice surprise). If they can come up with some clever plots, they might keep me in the game. But if its just going to be Ollie bullying bad guys week after week? I won't be around too long.

e
    L nny.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Well, both Smallville and the original share similar themes. Smallville has always had a romantic angle and Beauty and the Beast (original and remake) are romantic dramas. Both deal with a non-human/superhuman? characters who are outsiders.

The most likely reason is probably the fact that Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, who were the Smallville showrunners for the last 3 seasons, are also the showrunners on Beauty and the Beast.
    Well that would explain why Lana,sorry,I mean Catherine feels very much like Lana when she became Lady-K (when she absorbed so much kryptonite that she couldn't get near CK) and the brooding from Vince along with the final-ish shot of him hunching over on the ledge of the roof in a black trench coat looking over Catherine.
  • Options
    Sebastian Dunn will portray Eddie Fyers in episode 5 and 6. He appears to be working with/for Deathstroke on the island.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Finally!!! Us in the UK just got the pilot of Arrow. I for one am hooked.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    luke52 said:

Just finished the pilot and it's definitely caught my attention. I'm hoping we'll be getting plenty of island flashbacks each week as filling in the back story is what I'm looking forward to the most. Have to agree about the body count though. I'm hoping we won't see Ollie killing quite so freely. Maybe he needs to crack out the boxing glove arrows.

I caught another little geek nod as well. Towards the end of the episode when we see the screen shot of the bank transfer right at the top of the screen it mentions D. Didio.
  • Options
    danGP said:

luke52 said:

Just finished the pilot and it's definitely caught my attention. I'm hoping we'll be getting plenty of island flashbacks each week as filling in the back story is what I'm looking forward to the most. Have to agree about the body count though. I'm hoping we won't see Ollie killing quite so freely. Maybe he needs to crack out the boxing glove arrows.

I caught another little geek nod as well. Towards the end of the episode when we see the screen shot of the bank transfer right at the top of the screen it mentions D. Didio.
    We'll be getting flashbacks every episode. The producers intend on telling the entire island story over the course of the series' run. And they won't skip around chronologically, but tell it in order. Each flashback in a new episode will pick up right where the flashback from the previous episode ended, like how we saw in the pilot and episode two.

The producers describe it as two shows in one, as they'll be telling two complete stories. The present and the past.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Arrow's UK debut on Sky1 ranked as the highest rated U.S. scripted series to premiere on the network in over 3 years. With 888,000 total viewers, a 1.54/3.6 in Individuals 4+ and a 1.43/4.6 in Adults 16-34, Arrow beat the network's broadcast of the series premieres of Terra Nova, Hawaii Five-0 and Touch, as well as the 3rd season premiere of Glee and the 6th season premiere of Lost.

It was Sky1's top rated show of the night in both demos. It also was #1 in it's timeslot for most of the hour.

Media To Go
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2012
    I'm currently five minutes into tonight's episode, and there's a very bizarre screw-up with the program's soundtrack. I can hear the music and the background noises just fine, but the main dialogue track is either missing or near-to-inaudible. The commercials are just fine, so it's not the TV or the network, just the program. Anybody else having this difficulty?

EDIT: Okay, fifteen minutes in they finally fixed the problem. So I can still get 3/4 of a dialogued episode.
  • Options
    It might have been a problem with your service provider. I didn't have any issues and no one on the IMDB boards has mentioned having any.
  • Options
    It might have been a problem with your service provider. I didn't have any issues and no one on the IMDB boards has mentioned having any.
    Hmm. I was watching broadcast TV, so I assumed it was the network. I suppose it could have been the local station, though. Weird.
  • Options
    I thought the episode worked well

But (potential spoilers).

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but did the "I'm not you, you're a murderer, I have a reason." sound hollow. Similar to the earlier, "he's innocent. I mean he kills everyone, but he uses arrows."