Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    Battlestar Galactica's James Callis (Gaius Baltar) has been cast as The Dodger in episode 15, entitled "The Dodger".

TV Guide

"The Dodger is an elusive international jewel thief who imposes his plans on the innocent, forcing them to carry out his crimes under duress. When the Sherwood Ruby goes missing in Starling City, the ensuing investigation leads Oliver and Diggle straight to The Dodger, but apprehending him won't be as easy as they may have thought."
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    The exec producers of Arrow are interviewed for approx 50 minutes on the Talking TV podcast: http://talkingtvwithryanandryan.libsyn.com/
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Arrow Stunts: Deathstroke Vs. Yao Fei.

http://youtu.be/fjTm3Rz2tG8
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Alex Kingston has been cast as Dinah Lance.

Entertainment Weekly
  • Options
    Holy cow, I'm almost caught up, but the episode before the one this week where Thea has her birthday party, the ending on the island just blew me away! I wasn't expecting that at all. This show continues to get better.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    tazmaniak said:

Alex Kingston has been cast as Dinah Lance.

Entertainment Weekly

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Alex Kingston?!!?? I freakin love Alex Kingston. ugh.
    Let me explain.
    I watched a couple of the most recent episodes, and while the action is really good I HATE the soup opera stuff.

and now ... Alex Kingston.
    did I mention that I love Alex Kingston?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I only watch the show for the island sequences and curiosity over how they handle named villains... and to watch the female lead be pretty. The show as a whole has just gotten too rediculous.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So what's the verdict, my good fellows? To try... or not to try?

I've read Green Arrow in the past, if that's a qualifier.
  • Options
    Definitely try. It's a good series.
  • Options

If you like what else is on CW (basically soap operas and such aimed at 14 year old girls) then youll like Arrow. Im not saying every moment is as bad or corny but the writing hovers right at and below that line most the time IMO. The action and some of the plot is enjoyable (and if I havnt mentioned the female lead is yummy).

• Options
    PrilloPrillo Posts: 23
    I have seen all the episodes now and if you can take it a little twisted from all of the green arrow series you have ever read then give it a go. I was unimpressed with the camera work in the first few episodes but it has gotten better. The little easter eggs are a real delight and the flashbacks to the island makes it worth coming back to. I never read a lot of GA, although the entire run of the new 52 series is sitting under a few other stacks of unread material. All I am saying is enjoy
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited February 2013
    batlaw said:

If you like what else is on CW (basically soap operas and such aimed at 14 year old girls) then youll like Arrow. Im not saying every moment is as bad or corny but the writing hovers right at and below that line most the time IMO. The action and some of the plot is enjoyable (and if I havnt mentioned the female lead is yummy).

I.... do enjoy the Vampire Diaries.

I thought I'd hate that, but I don't. And that's all I've watched on there.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited February 2013
    Prillo said:

I have seen all the episodes now and if you can take it a little twisted from all of the green arrow series you have ever read then give it a go. I was unimpressed with the camera work in the first few episodes but it has gotten better. The little easter eggs are a real delight and the flashbacks to the island makes it worth coming back to. I never read a lot of GA, although the entire run of the new 52 series is sitting under a few other stacks of unread material. All I am saying is enjoy

unless you need some bonfire kindling just leave that stack of New52 Green Arrow comics right where they are. they are awful. at least the first 12 issues or so are unreadable.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Prillo said:

unless you need some bonfire kindling just leave that stack of New52 Green Arrow comics right where they are. they are awful. at least the first 12 issues or so are unreadable.
    I didn't think the first several issues were all that bad, though I didn't like the series as much as I liked the pre-New52 GA. I didn't think it became unreadable until Ann Nocenti took over as writer.

But I would definitely encourage and endorse any pre-New52 GA series as a primer to the TV show, especially the mini-series, The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell, which is essentially the series' main inspiration.
  • Options
    The CW has given Arrow, along with The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural, early renewals for next season. They rank as the highest rated shows on the network.

Deadline
  • Options
    The latest episode was one of the best since the start. Not w/o shortcomings but much much better.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    tazmaniak said:

The CW has given Arrow, along with The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural, early renewals for next season. They rank as the highest rated shows on the network.

Deadline

That's great news Arrow is my favorite show on TV.

• Options

random73 said:

Prillo said:

I didn't think the first several issues were all that bad, though I didn't like the series as much as I liked the pre-New52 GA. I didn't think it became unreadable until Ann Nocenti took over as writer.

But I would definitely encourage and endorse any pre-New52 GA series as a primer to the TV show, especially the mini-series, The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell, which is essentially the series' main inspiration.
    Really?! Wow. I like Dan Jurgens a lot but I thought that was some Terrible terrible writing.
  • Options
    Oh and that JT Krul stuff? Eh!
  • Options
    Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity Smoak) will become a series regular in season 2.

Green Arrow TV
  • Options
    Any thoughts on the most recent episode? I would say it ranks as the best of the season.
  • Options
    Loved the last episode been waiting for a mostly island episode.

I think in this episode you start seeing Ollie's transition from rich boy to Arrow.

I liked that the other Deathsroke was William/Billy Wintergreen & the fight between Billy & Slade was great.

I think Felicity will join them despite her saying she just wants in to find Walter & she's done. & I'm made that Ollie is hiding his head in the sand about his mother,
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

& I'm made that Ollie is hiding his head in the sand about his mother,

Well, it's understandable. Put yourself in his place. Would you be so eager to prove your mother was part of a corrupt organization, knowing the outcome for her would either be death or imprisonment?
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    Yeah, I have seen every episode and this was one of the best ... I really like the island scenes. Great mix of action and relieving of plot points. I am not a DC person and do not know anything about green arrow, heck I couldn't watch any smallville shows ... but I am digging this show. I how they give a few seasons to wrapper up the overall story lines.
  • Options
    The_JP said:

I am not a DC person and do not know anything about green arrow

That's all right. You really don't need to be. The series is based on the comics, but doesn't bear that strong a resemblance, except to the Mike Grell run of the 90's. And even then, there are broad differences, especially in terms of the supporting cast. If you're enjoying it for what it is, that's just fine.

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I was four episodes behind, and ended up watching them in a marathon this weekend. I too felt the most recent episode (Billy vs. Slade) was by far the best one yet. I was worried they might have him kill in the episode (I think it's still pretty early since he only trained for a few days), but is showing signs of being more badass. So in the first episode when they show the Deathstroke mask on a stick, do we think that was Wintergreen's mask or Slade's?
  • Options
    This episode was great can't believe Oliver revealed his identity to Tommy. The Guy Malcolm was talking about sounds like a Ra's al Thule type to me.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

This episode was great can't believe Oliver revealed his identity to Tommy. The Guy Malcolm was talking about sounds like a Ra's al Thule type to me.

It does, though I was thinking more of the Sensei myself. I wonder if we'll see Deadman make an appearance?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I think this show is amazing. I love the grittiness of it and I love all of the nods to the comic and the DC Universe is general. You can tell the the Powers-That-Be have done their research.
  • Options
    Nick said:

I was four episodes behind, and ended up watching them in a marathon this weekend. I too felt the most recent episode (Billy vs. Slade) was by far the best one yet. I was worried they might have him kill in the episode (I think it's still pretty early since he only trained for a few days), but is showing signs of being more badass. So in the first episode when they show the Deathstroke mask on a stick, do we think that was Wintergreen's mask or Slade's?

Mihawk said:

Mihawk said:

It does, though I was thinking more of the Sensei myself. I wonder if we'll see Deadman make an appearance?
    See, that's what the majority of the people on IMDB think. Either Ra's or Sensei. But I actually thought Richard Dragon. Generally, when a DC location is name-dropped, it's closely associated with a specific character or characters and you're meant to immediately think of them. I may be wrong, but I don't think Ra's or Sensei are really associated with Nanda Parbat. I'm sure Richard Dragon is. At least since 52.

It should be noted that Geoff Johns wrote this episode.

Anyway, that's what I think. I could very well be wrong.